Jump to content
jwest2sh

2018 Summer upgrades on the Desert Dynamics (video added)

Recommended Posts

correct it need to be the Automatic trans bolt to use with ARP,

have had the same issue in the past but luckly never got it all the way together

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J Alper said:

correct it need to be the Automatic trans bolt to use with ARP,

have had the same issue in the past but luckly never got it all the way together

Now ya tell me!!  LOL :nag:

 

Funny part was...I had the right bolts in there before but my OCD kicked in and I just had to buy all new hardware!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jwest2sh said:

Now ya tell me!!  LOL :nag:

 

Funny part was...I had the right bolts in there before but my OCD kicked in and I just had to buy all new hardware!  

 

We did the same purchased the "flywheel bolts" did not work then had to back cut them on the lathe and drill out the holes to 1/2 to make them work.

Then we got a motor in that was a Automatic street car and seen the 12PT and was like WOW, and they are cheaper than the factory bolts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put the motor back in today with the right flywheel bolts and a new pan gasket.  Going to try to get down to Super Saturday morning still to put some miles on it....barring any onther problems.  

~jw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took it to Superstition Saturday morning.  The weather was perfect. Just enough moisture on the ground to keep the dust down and make good traction.  No real issues to report.  All the temps and pressures stayed in the green all day with no leaks.  This thing is a different animal now.... tons of power all through the RPM range.  I drove from Super to Blu Inn and OW and hit some super fun high speed washes, jammed arond in the sand duens and Super and hit some of the tight tecnical trails.  I put about 75 miles and 2 hours on it.  It pulls hard no matter what gear I'm in.  I've never used 5th gear that much before.  There was a very minor flat spot right off of an idle that Steve is going to address Tuesday.  We knew it was there before the shakedown run but he couldn't dial it in due to the clutch issue and not being able to drive the car around.  

I had no one to help me put the skid pan back on so I locked a pair of vice grips on the bolt and jacked my jack right up next to it to prevent them from spinning while I got inside the car and tightened the nut.  I guess I forgot to take the vice grips off the last bolt when I was done.  They hung on for the first leg of the ride Saturday which was about 20 miles hitting 80-85 mph several times through the whoops...LOL 

Were  Heading out to G for MLK.  I'll be camping bewteen wash 8-12 somewhere.  Come say hi if you see us around....

Cheers,

~jw

IMG_0791[1].JPG

IMG_0793[1].JPG

IMG_0794[1].JPG

IMG_0796[1].JPG

IMG_0797[1].JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0795[1].JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dam nice job! Didn't realize we drive the same  white/tan Ford trucks!  Still Loving those taillights I got off your buggy!

IMG_20181229_131559157.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, jwest2sh said:

Took it to Superstition Saturday morning.  The weather was perfect. Just enough moisture on the ground to keep the dust down and make good traction.  No real issues to report.  All the temps and pressures stayed in the green all day with no leaks.  This thing is a different animal now.... tons of power all through the RPM range.  I drove from Super to Blu Inn and OW and hit some super fun high speed washes, jammed arond in the sand duens and Super and hit some of the tight tecnical trails.  I put about 75 miles and 2 hours on it.  It pulls hard no matter what gear I'm in.  I've never used 5th gear that much before.  There was a very minor flat spot right off of an idle that Steve is going to address Tuesday.  We knew it was there before the shakedown run but he couldn't dial it in due to the clutch issue and not being able to drive the car around.  

I had no one to help me put the skid pan back on so I locked a pair of vice grips on the bolt and jacked my jack right up next to it to prevent them from spinning while I got inside the car and tightened the nut.  I guess I forgot to take the vice grips off the last bolt when I was done.  They hung on for the first leg of the ride Saturday which was about 20 miles hitting 80-85 mph several times through the whoops...LOL 

Were  Heading out to G for MLK.  I'll be camping bewteen wash 8-12 somewhere.  Come say hi if you see us around....

Cheers,

~jw

IMG_0791[1].JPG

IMG_0793[1].JPG

IMG_0794[1].JPG

IMG_0796[1].JPG

IMG_0797[1].JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0795[1].JPG

Do you feel like your bumpstops are needed?  I will be running 3.5" Bypasses and not sure  if they are overkill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jwest2sh said:

Took it to Superstition Saturday morning.  The weather was perfect. Just enough moisture on the ground to keep the dust down and make good traction.  No real issues to report.  All the temps and pressures stayed in the green all day with no leaks.  This thing is a different animal now.... tons of power all through the RPM range.  I drove from Super to Blu Inn and OW and hit some super fun high speed washes, jammed arond in the sand duens and Super and hit some of the tight tecnical trails.  I put about 75 miles and 2 hours on it.  It pulls hard no matter what gear I'm in.  I've never used 5th gear that much before.  There was a very minor flat spot right off of an idle that Steve is going to address Tuesday.  We knew it was there before the shakedown run but he couldn't dial it in due to the clutch issue and not being able to drive the car around.  

I had no one to help me put the skid pan back on so I locked a pair of vice grips on the bolt and jacked my jack right up next to it to prevent them from spinning while I got inside the car and tightened the nut.  I guess I forgot to take the vice grips off the last bolt when I was done.  They hung on for the first leg of the ride Saturday which was about 20 miles hitting 80-85 mph several times through the whoops...LOL 

Were  Heading out to G for MLK.  I'll be camping bewteen wash 8-12 somewhere.  Come say hi if you see us around....

Cheers,

~jw

IMG_0791[1].JPG

IMG_0793[1].JPG

IMG_0794[1].JPG

IMG_0796[1].JPG

IMG_0797[1].JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0795[1].JPG

Awesome J! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2turbofords said:

Dam nice job! Didn't realize we drive the same  white/tan Ford trucks!  Still Loving those taillights I got off your buggy!

IMG_20181229_131559157.jpg

Yep...mines a bit older.  It's a 2000.  I picked it up about 8 months ago.   First time I towed the enclosed with it.  It did great.  60 up the grade no problem.  1200 on EGT's.  Love the way that looks on your car.  The tin work looks awesome too.  :td:

 

~jw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SCHMIDTY said:

Do you feel like your bumpstops are needed?  I will be running 3.5" Bypasses and not sure  if they are overkill. 

Ya...I definetely use them.  I ran a camera on them when I put them on and they get used quite a bit.  I only have 2.5's and I run soft for the hard pack so in the sand i'm all over them on the G outs.  I can really feel them on the big jumps.  They smooth out the landing.  Feels like I'm landing on a pillow.  I rarely slam the the rubber bumps on the bypass anymore.  I still want to go to a 3.0 Fox 5 tube in the rear though.

~jw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jwest2sh said:

Ya...I definetely use them.  I ran a camera on them when I put them on and they get used quite a bit.  I only have 2.5's and I run soft for the hard pack so in the sand i'm all over them on the G outs.  I can really feel them on the big jumps.  They smooth out the landing.  Feels like I'm landing on a pillow.  I rarely slam the the rubber bumps on the bypass anymore.  I still want to go to a 3.0 Fox 5 tube in the rear though.

~jw

I will make you a good deal on the 3.5" ones I have.. They are even Blue to match your car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SCHMIDTY said:

I will make you a good deal on the 3.5" ones I have.. They are even Blue to match your car.

I saw those you had for sale.  I would love to put a 3.5 on there but I don't think they will clear the bump stop?  I'd have to take some measurements.  PM me what you want for them and I'll take a closer look at the car.  I couldn't buy they right away....gotta fill the bank account back up after this motor depleted it!  LOL

 

~jw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2019 at 7:45 PM, jwest2sh said:

Ya...I definetely use them.  I ran a camera on them when I put them on and they get used quite a bit.  I only have 2.5's and I run soft for the hard pack so in the sand i'm all over them on the G outs.  I can really feel them on the big jumps.  They smooth out the landing.  Feels like I'm landing on a pillow.  I rarely slam the the rubber bumps on the bypass anymore.  I still want to go to a 3.0 Fox 5 tube in the rear though.

~jw

Thanks jwest2sh. This is the advise that I was looking for. I believe my car needs  BumpStops. I was debating on putting some and I have had issues with my shocks snapping and this was do to an over bumped arm causing a bind with the shock.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, jhuerta said:

Thanks jwest2sh. This is the advise that I was looking for. I believe my car needs  BumpStops. I was debating on putting some and I have had issues with my shocks snapping and this was do to an over bumped arm causing a bind with the shock.

 

Can you further explain what you mean by  "over bumped arm"?    Shocks typically are the stopping mechanism for arm travel. (Unless you have one of those cars that land on the pan before the shock stroke runs out, which is hard on skidplates, and even harder on your spine.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I just got my first LT and it was setup to use size 12 shocks. I recently broke my shock rod again. After analyzing the geometry of the shock and full droop and full bump I come to realized that my 12 inch shock was too short. What would happen is that the arm would go  beyond that I think is full bump and that is 1 inch before the chassis hits the ground. Not only that but after a certain amount that arm would go up beyond the full bump distance the angle of the shock would cause it to bind. Which I believe lead to my snapping of the rods. Now i got some 14 and they are perfect in the sense that they will stop my car about 1/2 beyond what I want full bump to be(I figure I add a taller bumps). But I went yesterday to Kartek to by some bypass and they said I should put bump stops to stop the car and not rely on the shocks and bypass.  I was actually going to post this on my thread. But read some post here and I think I should just by some bypass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you are mistaking, or misunderstanding  the term "bump stop".>>> Image result for fox bump stop

 

For a shock "bottom-out-bumper".  >>Image result for fox bottom-out-bumper

The second, will limit travel, if you stack it on top of the one already on your shock.

The first is an additional HD shock, for the very last few inches of travel. The amount is how many inch stroke of bumpstop you have. It is Not a travel "limiting" apparatus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jhuerta said:

Thanks jwest2sh. This is the advise that I was looking for. I believe my car needs  BumpStops. I was debating on putting some and I have had issues with my shocks snapping and this was do to an over bumped arm causing a bind with the shock.

 

I saw your thread on the broken shock.  I've never seen a shock break like that.  I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "Over bumped arm" either?  I think your on the right path with changing the shock mounts though.  If you upper shock mount is in way to far from the lower mount...at full bump you could be binding and puting a lateral load on that shock body.  I'm not sure bump stops would solve your problem with breaking the shock....if that's what your refering to?  Even with bump stops the shock or bipass is what bottoms out....at least that's how I set mine up.   My bumps are set up with a little travel left when the shock bottoms.  My shock mounts are much stronger than the bump stop mounts so I let the shock mounts take the load.  The bumps just slow the motion down before it hits rubber.  I did a thread on my rear arms and bumps when I built them back on 2016 .  Here's the link. 👇 In the other picture you can see my bipass bottomed out and the bump still has some travel left.  The rubber  bump stop on the bipass will still squish some but the hydro bump stop never bottoms out.

~jw

 

 

~jw

DD bumps.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took the car out Glamis a few weeks ago and it ran great.  Did another day trip to Superstition last weekend and put another 4 hours on the car.  It has 16.4 total hours on the new motor now.  I noticed the clutch was bleeding off pressure when I held the pedal down loading and unloading making it hard to get in and out of gear.  I could pump the clutch a few times and it was fine.  Came home and rebuilt the clutch master with all new seals and piston.  The fluid was pretty dirty too.  I put it all back together and power bled it a couple of times.  Seem to be good now.  Heading to Glamis on the 22'nd.  I did a couple videos of the daytrip ride.  Here's the link.  The sound sucks and it pretty shaky. It's hard to see in the video but there was washboard everywhere and it was pretty windy.

~jw

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome! I’ll be out in G the 21st.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cali kid said:

Awesome! I’ll be out in G the 21st.

Cool.  I'm probably going to be in Gecko.  Where are you camping?  I'd like to check out your new car!

 

~jw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, jwest2sh said:

Cool.  I'm probably going to be in Gecko.  Where are you camping?  I'd like to check out your new car!

 

~jw

Gecko probably pad 2.5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2019 at 10:50 PM, jwest2sh said:

I took the car out Glamis a few weeks ago and it ran great.  Did another day trip to Superstition last weekend and put another 4 hours on the car.  It has 16.4 total hours on the new motor now.  I noticed the clutch was bleeding off pressure when I held the pedal down loading and unloading making it hard to get in and out of gear.  I could pump the clutch a few times and it was fine.  Came home and rebuilt the clutch master with all new seals and piston.  The fluid was pretty dirty too.  I put it all back together and power bled it a couple of times.  Seem to be good now.  Heading to Glamis on the 22'nd.  I did a couple videos of the daytrip ride.  Here's the link.  The sound sucks and it pretty shaky. It's hard to see in the video but there was washboard everywhere and it was pretty windy.

~jw

 

 

On 2/18/2019 at 7:15 AM, cali kid said:

Awesome! I’ll be out in G the 21st.

Would love to check out both of your cars. Mini DD regatta maybe? hahah. I'll be out there from the 21st to the 25th. Hopefully can catch up with you guys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, acefuture said:

 

Would love to check out both of your cars. Mini DD regatta maybe? hahah. I'll be out there from the 21st to the 25th. Hopefully can catch up with you guys

Dark side meet and greet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like fun.  I'll be camping at Gecko..  Feel free to drop by for a cold one!  I'll probably swing by the drags saturday.  Taking a new guy to Glamis who just bought a cool little manx and he wants to see it all.   He's a new board member here too Manx3337.  I'll be looking for ya!

 

~john

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.