jwest2sh

2018 Summer upgrades on the Desert Dynamics (video added)

If you get a chance, I’d love to see some more pictures of your rig. I’m curious how your car does out in glamis with also being setup for the dirt? Does it ever feel heavy?  How does the shock set up differ from the two? I’ve spent most of my time in the sand but eventually want to get a car setup for both sand and dirt. 

1 hour ago, B0NES said:

If you get a chance, I’d love to see some more pictures of your rig. I’m curious how your car does out in glamis with also being setup for the dirt? Does it ever feel heavy?  How does the shock set up differ from the two? I’ve spent most of my time in the sand but eventually want to get a car setup for both sand and dirt. 

I'll try and post some pics this weekend...I'm at work tonight and tomorrow and don't have any pics here.  I love the way the car handles in the dunes.  It was originally designed to be a dunner and it does it well.  It's surprisingly nimble for a big car.  I had a 4 seat sand limo before this one and the DD turns better.   I've beefed everything up to handle the hardpack.  I've been doing  more sand the last couple years so I've been kind of gearing the suspension more toward that.  Over the summer I had the front bipasses revalved a little stiffer and I changed the springs to a 550# from a 500# on the rear shocks.  So far it's made the difference I was looking for.  I still might go up a little on the rear spring....maybe to a 600# lower because I still have 3" of preload in it.  I run my X-over collar pretty high on the rear so the ride is soft but it ramps up pretty quick when it gets down to the bottom 25% of the travel.  My upper rear spring is a 450#.  With this setup the car rides a little stiffer than it used to in the hardpack but it's still ok.   There is not perfect setup for both hadpack and sand...but you can make it work pretty good for both.  Before I had a sway bar in the rear the car tended to push pretty bad in the sand....partially because the suspension was so soft it had a ton of body roll.  The front inside wheel would be 6" off the ground in a tight turn in the dunes.  To combat the understeer, I changed my castor from 11* to 6*.  That made the car way more responsive and took away a lot of the understeer in the sand but it made it a little twitchy when going over 100 mph in the hardpack.  I have also moved a lot of the longitudinal weight forward with two batteries, boxed arms, bigger hubs, speaker box and fire suppression.  Since adding the sway bar and weight and balance changes, the car turns on a dime..... my buddy who was following me on the last Glamis trip told me he felt like he was following a quad through the small dunes by the washes.  LOL.  I was having a little fun with the cutters though...   :td:  On my next dune trip I might set the castor to 8* and see how it feels.  It's just a matter of moving shims around on the upper heim on the spindle.

~jw

Found 1 pic on my work computer.....I'll add more later.

IMG_2700.thumb.JPG.775ea5bf3cdb5214d63ce241bd8a7899.JPG

Edited by jwest2sh
Pic added

On 8/29/2018 at 3:00 PM, jwest2sh said:

Picked up the air cleaner the other day.  This thing is massive! 10"X 24".  Not sure if it's going to fit...I might have to go back to the duals.

~jw

IMG_0043.JPG

That is a big dude. What was the price?

The first vid was before the sway bar and new motor, the second was with the sway bar but before new motor...not a fast ride but It's all I have right now.  

9 minutes ago, onanysunday said:

That is a big dude. What was the price?

I honestly can't remember and they don't show prices on their site.   They are right around the corner from me so I just drive over.  I want to say it was around $350ish? 

~jw