CHIZZLE

Grounding Strap

I've seen a few cars with grounding straps dangling from beneath their cars.  What's that all about?  I used to get shocked on my dirt bike when I would touch a lever after blasting through roost but I've never felt anything in the car.

Static electricity?

Yes, static electricity. Its a special rubber compound that conducts electricity and provides a ground to earth. 

Sure it wasn't a un buckled lap belt dragging, or a tow strap in the back falling out?? Seems like a ground strap would be arcing or sparking as you drove along and less safe

Been shocked on my quad lots of times........not sure about the buggy.

I thought it was so every time you stop someone could tell you you have something dragging. :lol: 

I duned with a couple newer Funco’s . I guess most Funco’s have them ? They said it was for static . One of them swear when his was off for awhile the paint on his car attracted a lot more dust with out it then with it  . IDK 

29 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I thought it was so every time you stop someone could tell you you have something dragging. :lol: 

Seriously I’ve had one on my service truck and got asked this everyday. 

I could see how it could work. not sure if it would be good with a fuel leak?  I have been zapped a few times in my car before on certain days

My powder coated trailing arms zap me all the time when I’m putting the tie downs on, might need to try this

4 hours ago, chopshop said:

One of them swear when his was off for awhile the paint on his car attracted a lot more dust with out it then with it  . IDK 

I recently duned with two Monster Manx with grounding straps and both remained virtually dustless during two weekends late in the season.  Not sure if this is what they had, but found this on Prime: https://www.amazon.com/Gates-90330-Static-Strap/dp/B000CRBR8U

Should eliminate the zaps some are experiencing too.

This is interesting. I don't have an issue with my buggy but I do have a relative with an older Honda CR-V that everytime you get out of the car, that last touch of the door to close it, zaps you. All the time and sometimes enough to virtually see the spark. I wonder if this would fix that? Everything on the car works perfectly and don't have any electrical issues. Just annoying as hell. 

Leads me to my next question, why would a car produce static electricity? Or a sand car for that matter? 

I've never even knew this was a thing. :moof:

Seen them too my guess was static electricity.

My black bmw could use this. Attracts dust at an astronomical rate. 

28 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

My black bmw could use this. Attracts dust at an astronomical rate. 

IF you think gas prices are scary, consider a far worse fright that Kelly Shager of Lynchburg, Va., got at a gas pump. Eight months ago, Mrs. Shager drove her 1999 Ford Ranger to a self-service gas station, engaged the nozzle’s hold-open clip to have it fill automatically, then sat in her vehicle.

When the tank was full, she slid out and reached for the nozzle. Touching it, she felt a shock.

“Then fire kind of came out of the tank,” she said.

Mrs. Shager ran into the station’s convenience store for a fire extinguisher, but flames were already leaping over her truck. By the time firefighters controlled the blaze, the pickup was a charred ruin.

According to Greg Wormser, the Lynchburg fire marshal, the fire was ignited by an electrostatic charge that had collected on Mrs. Shager as she sat in the truck. When she reached for the nozzle, the charge grounded, igniting the gas vapors around the pump.

“You should never re-enter a vehicle when you’re fueling,” Mr. Wormser said.

That’s because a person who re-enters a vehicle and slides across the seat can acquire a static charge of thousands of volts, caused by friction between two electrically dissimilar materials, such as clothing and seat upholstery, said Dr. Robert E. Nabours, an electrical engineer. If the charge is not harmlessly discharged through the person’s shoes or by the person touching metal, such as part of a grounded car, an electrical arc can jump from a hand to the nozzle, igniting gas vapors and starting a fire.

Continue reading the main story

There is no way to know precisely how many such incidents occur. The National Fire Data Center, part of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, has not studied the issue. But the Petroleum Equipment Institute, a trade group, found that there were at least 170 static electricity fires at gas stations from 1992 to 2006. Considering that the American Petroleum Institute estimates that there are 11 billion refuelings in the United States a year, the problem probably isn’t a big one.

Unless, of course, it’s your car that has burst into flames. Since Mrs. Shager’s pickup was destroyed in November, at least two other serious fires at gas stations have been attributed to static electricity, including one that severely burned a woman.

The culprit seems to be the hold-open clips on nozzles that allow drivers to pump gas hands-free and re-enter the car to, say, keep warm. All three fires involved motorists who had been inside their cars while their tanks were filling.

Because of this, the clips are banned in some places, including throughout New York, where state, county and city fire codes prohibit them, but allowed or even mandated in others. Fire officials do not agree whether the clips endanger consumers or protect them.

Bob Benedetti, a flammable liquids engineer at the National Fire Protection Association, said arguments could be made for and against the clips. In their absence, motorists sometimes chock nozzles open with gas caps or other things, defeating the nozzle’s automatic shut-off system and spilling gas if the tank overflows.

In New York, a new state fire code that took effect on Jan. 1 prohibits the clips at self-service stations, resuming a ban that had been in effect from the early 1980s until 2003, said Chief John Mueller of the state Office of Fire Prevention and Control. The clips are allowed in New Jersey, but only gas station attendants can use them because self-service stations are banned.

Hold-open clips are allowed in Connecticut, said James O’Neil of the Connecticut fire marshal’s office.

600-static-span.jpg

On 4/27/2018 at 2:30 PM, CHIZZLE said:

I've seen a few cars with grounding straps dangling from beneath their cars.  What's that all about?  I used to get shocked on my dirt bike when I would touch a lever after blasting through roost but I've never felt anything in the car.

Two types, one is a static strap, handy to stop getting zapped when touching the door handle, and the engine ground strap that the muffler guy didn't think was needed.

Back in the day, a guy I worked with decided that the straps attached to the dual exhaust on a Cad were not needed.

When he tried to start the Cad, the stater current went through the ignition wires back to the battery.

Needless to say, that was a big mistake.

Ammunition trucks have grounding straps that drag for obvious reasons.  Haven't seen fuel trucks with them but I know the operators of fuel trucks attach them to whatever they're connecting to.

If you pay attention to the city buses around Phx they all are dragging a grounding strap.