Sign in to follow this  
aceisback

SXS/UTV Truck Rack DOT Requirement

Not even sure what section this should be in but if it needs moved feel free to do so.

I have a UTV truck rack for sale on several different sites and a gentleman contacted me and needs to know the DOT number on the rack. He said he was stopped and cited for no DOT sticker on the one he has.

Mine is a custom one off build and there is no such sticker. Nor have I ever heard of such a requirement. These racks aren't as popular here in SoCal as they are in Utah, Idaho, and other parts of Cali, but you do see a lot more of them elsewhere and never have I seen anyone pulled over, or having conversations with Rangers in staging areas over these racks.

Anybody have any enlightening info to add? I would appreciate it.

IMAG2371.jpg

IMAG2372.jpg

First I've ever heard of that. Maybe if you were hauling for a living maybe. 

Nice Rack (never said that to a dude before).

Interesting topic, Somebody here should know.

in AZ, if you are being paid to haul or hauling said vehicle to a paying event, it will be an issue. otherwise you need nothing. it will vary state to state. 

If you haul [ for hire ] you will need a DOT number for the pickup. If hauling [not for hire] you need nothing. If you are hauling to a sponsored paying event, or have a corporate sponsor more than likely you will need a DOT number for the pickup.

19 minutes ago, bigray800 said:

If you haul [ for hire ] you will need a DOT number for the pickup. If hauling [not for hire] you need nothing. If you are hauling to a sponsored paying event, or have a corporate sponsor more than likely you will need a DOT number for the pickup.

This is the only DOT number i would think he could be talking about and it is assigned to the vehicle not the rack. Like he said a DOT number isn't needed. 

Edited by SANDPSYCHO

On 5/4/2018 at 9:27 AM, bigray800 said:

I think even with a sponsor, you’d be okay so long as the vehicle was yours. 

And says "Not for hire".

Would you need a dot number if it was a quad instead of a SXS? 

I did a quick search and found nothing. Do you know if he was actually cited for no DOT sticker?

I know you mentioned it but plenty of times people get tickets and they get stopped for one thing but get cited for another.

I did find this and I don't think it includes your rack based on the picture but have seen plenty of homemade racks that are in violation.

Screenshot_20180506-220458.jpg

There is no DOT or FMCSA sticker for the rack itself. If your truck, rack and sxs are now over 14 feet tall you would need a Caltrans permit, a county permit and or a city permit for when you on local streets or roads. But again not for the rack itself. And also loading requirements for the number and types of straps.

Edited by raptorflash

DOT for this setup? ? 

648CABAC-FFF1-499A-BD35-8BF7BB0BCAC6.jpeg

recently enforcement of dot laws have been happening. those of us with dually pickups are in for a shock if you get stopped towing and your registration doesnt show enough weight fees paid. ive seen numerous discussions on this stuff on facebook on the various trailer, race car pages i follow.  also towing a flatbed trailer with a dually (doesnt matter if its not for hire those stickers dont do shit btw), is another issue im reading.  most of this stuff i have read about is happening in calif.

5 hours ago, Kevin said:

recently enforcement of dot laws have been happening. those of us with dually pickups are in for a shock if you get stopped towing and your registration doesnt show enough weight fees paid. ive seen numerous discussions on this stuff on facebook on the various trailer, race car pages i follow.  also towing a flatbed trailer with a dually (doesnt matter if its not for hire those stickers dont do shit btw), is another issue im reading.  most of this stuff i have read about is happening in calif.

Good stuff. Was having a conversation with chp friend last night; he just got non commercial class a because his new toyhauler has gvwr over 10k lbs. i guess its required, i was riding dirty last few years.

13 hours ago, sausage450r said:

Good stuff. Was having a conversation with chp friend last night; he just got non commercial class a because his new toyhauler has gvwr over 10k lbs. i guess its required, i was riding dirty last few years.

#MohoDontNeedShit

Well, at least for us poor schmucks towing flatbeds... :bigrin 

I forget where I took this pic. Maybe Emerald Cove Parker,,, maybe.

98793C31-C5BF-45C4-AE9E-5DA5C663CA7D.jpeg

Edited by Dune Bandits

On 5/14/2018 at 4:58 AM, Rockwood said:

#MohoDontNeedShit

Well, at least for us poor schmucks towing flatbeds... :bigrin 

Most fun I've had was quads in the back of the truck and a cheap-O Fleetwood bumper pull trailer with a Honda portable.

Cheap, easy fun.

IMG_2797.thumb.JPG.441841dc0e24887171ad915d19e08d85.JPG

How I've rolled since 2006 never stopped. Mines not a bed over but a receiver extension with platform then a 2" receiver for the trailer.

Similar to Conrad's but I take my tailgate off.