77charger

My summer upgrade vw to Honda.(finished up)

Posted (edited)

After 14 years of vw from 1914 to 2275 I'm going watercooled. Got to point where vw price is going up quality going down but I will say the vw I had was damn reliable and some here will admit that only came back on rope once due to fried points. 

But got a 3.5 Honda and wife and kids aint as light when I built car so more power will help too hard a deal to pass up on the Honda thanks lardogs and jt714 for convincing me to buy this and move up. Will post progress pics. 

IMG_7870.JPG

IMG_7871.JPG

Edited by 77charger
Finished

You will enjoy it!

Keep us posted with your progress.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

awesome!

Does this explain why nobody showed up to do my pans yesterday?:bigrin

1 hour ago, spize909 said:

awesome!

Does this explain why nobody showed up to do my pans yesterday?:bigrin

Na this has been sitting in my truck for the past 2 weeks havent had time to unload it yet.Too busy at work and working saturdays hopefully it slows down a bit so i can get on with this project atleast i have a few months still.

Sweet bud that's gonna be a nice upgrade. You know where I'm at if you need any help.

we have an adapter plate and flywheel in stock if you don't have one. no waiting. have fun with the install. going to have to make new cage?

2 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

we have an adapter plate and flywheel in stock if you don't have one. no waiting. have fun with the install. going to have to make new cage?

John i was the one who picked it up at your shop. Cage will be fine but gonna have to modify a cross bar above the trans slightly.if I had gone ecotec I may have needed to extend cage it would have been close. 

2 hours ago, mjmtrsprt said:

Sweet bud that's gonna be a nice upgrade. You know where I'm at if you need any help.

Yeh looking Foward to this. Just finished my stand up now gotta get on this. 

i did this about 5 yrs ago. you will love it. 

Well it fits I had to remove crossbar that happened to be right in line with the water outlet. Gonna have to raise it up and use new support tubes that go to the lower bars the trans mounts too.

Gonna try and keep radiator as low as possible so may be able to new crossbar to mount radiator. Thinking jeep Cherokee sized radiator. 

IMG_7907.JPG

IMG_7908.JPG

Go with the widest radiator you can fit in the frame, and three fans to keep it low, kinda like the Tatum style radiators, I would do that if i could have first time around.

Love summer work conversion/upgrade threads! 

That things looks like an easy fit.

Keep you radiator no higher than an 1 to 2 inches above the back seat. That you you can see out of the back of the car. I like low radiators. At n/a power levels you won't have cooling problems with good fans and open space in front of it. 

Seeing the way your rear cage is attached, I would do some kind of "suspended" mount type system versus the old straight down method.

44 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Seeing the way your rear cage is attached, I would do some kind of "suspended" mount type system versus the old straight down method.

Something like this 

E9FAC22C-8EE9-4E6C-839B-8309CC34DF47.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Im probably gonna raise the crossbar between the tank and engine mount the radiator there get that out of the way.As for back half of cage im thinking of having a new one made at this moment will be the last thing i get done i kinda want to to put a muffler or have exhaust go out rear in the middle.So will be best if moved  back a few inches anyways.

Im sure i will change my mind here and there but like different ideas to consider.Seems like putting the engine in is the easiest its the where im put this do with that move this where,etc.LOL

Posted (edited)

the back end of my chassis is close to yours. i drive mine pretty damn hard though and at the time, the skid plate would smack the sand before shocks would bottom out. after almost a year, this happened once the shocks finally got some dampening in them and we were running though some rough dunes all day

F13IrCVl.jpg

tzfOxIEl.jpg

i fixed it via adding the new tubes you see that are raw, there are tube clamps on the bottom new tube hidden behind the limit strap so teh cage is still removable. the stock .095 mild steel with the bolted bottom of the cage and holding the engine just wasnt enough support. Ive beat on this car pretty good for the last few years since this fix and have seen no problems. lot has changed back there since as well to make the car faster. just an idea for ya for cage work. 

zyRERKvl.jpg

Edited by Chevy1925

Been busy but got a couple of things done did the wiring from console to harness relocated the rear crossbar where radiator is gonna sit at. And box is the housing I'm using for ecu  

Have Cherokee radiator coming Monday AEM fuel pump on way as well. Then need to figure out routing it's a lil more work than thought. Now I know why vw was so simple. 

Also have new front seats and doing the same for rear going from bench to buckets just going with the prp lites vs standard due to space.i know I have too much into this beam car but it's easier to put money into here and there since I really can't afford to buy one already done. But atleast I know every bit of it. 

IMG_8146.JPG

IMG_8147.JPG

IMG_8148.JPG

Looking good. Thanks for the update.

14 hours ago, 77charger said:

Been busy but got a couple of things done did the wiring from console to harness relocated the rear crossbar where radiator is gonna sit at. And box is the housing I'm using for ecu  

Have Cherokee radiator coming Monday AEM fuel pump on way as well. Then need to figure out routing it's a lil more work than thought. Now I know why vw was so simple. 

Also have new front seats and doing the same for rear going from bench to buckets just going with the prp lites vs standard due to space.i know I have too much into this beam car but it's easier to put money into here and there since I really can't afford to buy one already done. But atleast I know every bit of it. 

IMG_8146.JPG

IMG_8147.JPG

IMG_8148.JPG

Might consider a brace tube running from the joint of your cross tube and the upright tube behind the gas tank down to make a continuation of the tube going down to rear trans mount. Maybe something you have already thought of. IMO it would add support to trans/motor mount area. (wish I could figure out how to draw on loaded photos, would make it easier to explain.)

5 hours ago, Richard H said:

Might consider a brace tube running from the joint of your cross tube and the upright tube behind the gas tank down to make a continuation of the tube going down to rear trans mount. Maybe something you have already thought of. IMO it would add support to trans/motor mount area. (wish I could figure out how to draw on loaded photos, would make it easier to explain.)

Yes that's in the plan I am going to connect the new tube to the old and going to add gussets as well. It will be stronger than before. 

It is great to see guys doing their own work. I have enjoyed reading this! I may crash your camp ( we all know where it is :lol: ) and check out your car next season. :thumbup:

5 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

It is great to see guys doing their own work. I have enjoyed reading this! I may crash your camp ( we all know where it is :lol: ) and check out your car next season. :thumbup:

I may have to keep a coors light or 2 in the cooler then.I normally dont drink them but have plenty of bud light and IPA  and bloody marys.

1 minute ago, 77charger said:

I may have to keep a coors light or 2 in the cooler then.I normally dont drink them but have plenty of bud light and IPA  and bloody marys.

I'd be happy with a handshake but i do like a good bloody mary. :cheers:

Radiator came in today so tacked lower mounts to set it looks like it's gonna clear. Tossed the plastic wire loom and replaced with braided type. 

And finished wiring from console to ecu and senders. Still need to wire fans and relays they look like they will fit in the box. 

Still need to get fittings welded onto tank,figure out filter and pump routing but have rough idea and gonna have juggernaut do my exhaust already have that figured out but will be one of last things I do. 

IMG_8171.JPG

IMG_8172.JPG

IMG_8173.JPG

IMG_8174.JPG