danbalz

A arm conversion.

Gonna need to tie that in a little more to support loads trying to push that rack left/right.  Can probably tie that into whatever you're going to do to fix the offset between the upper links and the nearest horizontal tube.  

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Gonna need to tie that in a little more to support loads trying to push that rack left/right.  Can probably tie that into whatever you're going to do to fix the offset between the upper links and the nearest horizontal tube.  

I thought the same thing when I saw the two tubular  mounts on the back of the rack, then I realized there's a beam type plate  Mount across the front between the two down tubes of the front bumper. Should be good as it is I think.

2 minutes ago, 2turbofords said:

I thought the same thing when I saw the two tubular  mounts on the back of the rack, then I realized there's a beam type plate  Mount across the front between the two down tubes of the front bumper. Should be good as it is I think.

I agree seeing the plate on the front side. Mines is similar and never been an issue, that I could tell anyways.

Thought about 2 more  bars to tie in the rack to the center lower tube but i dont think its nessesary but it would look super sexy. Just starting to consider weight its starting to add up with six main rails all .120 wall. Wish I used .095 wall for middle bar. Shit hope its not heavier than the beam setup. HAHAHA

Edited by danbalz

18 hours ago, danbalz said:

Thought about 2 more  bars to tie in the rack to the center lower tube but i dont think its nessesary but it would look super sexy. Just starting to consider weight its starting to add up with six main rails all .120 wall. Wish I used .095 wall for middle bar. Shit hope its not heavier than the beam setup. HAHAHA

Your ride is going to be so improved, that weight will not be a factor to you. 

On 7/2/2018 at 12:02 PM, 2turbofords said:

True. Didn’t think about it that way. Beam does have a lot more beef to it than the two vertical tubes the rack mount is welded to, but the braces on the back should help a little. 

I’d still add some light tube to back up those upper link mounts though. 

12 hours ago, Rockwood said:

True. Didn’t think about it that way. Beam does have a lot more beef to it than the two vertical tubes the rack mount is welded to, but the braces on the back should help a little. 

I’d still add some light tube to back up those upper link mounts though. 

What do you mean by the upper link mount ?  The upper control arms ?

5 hours ago, danbalz said:

What do you mean by the upper link mount ?  The upper control arms ?

Yep. It’s not at a node and the inward force while cornering will fatigue the tube. 

Got some more bracing done. Image may contain: bicycleNo automatic alt text available.Image may contain: 1 personImage may contain: bicycle

Fun project! Nothing like the satisfaction of doing your own work. I used a pipemaster for the first time this summer and I would not call in cheating! ha

22 hours ago, onanysunday said:

Fun project! Nothing like the satisfaction of doing your own work. I used a pipemaster for the first time this summer and I would not call in cheating! ha

Yeah love doing it myself. Did this nissan swap a few years ago. Thought you would apreciate it.No automatic alt text available.

8 hours ago, danbalz said:

Yeah love doing it myself. Did this nissan swap a few years ago. Thought you would apreciate it.No automatic alt text available.

Sweet! not many Nissans running around

It sure is coming out great! 

Awesome thread!

Looking good.nice to see others doing their own work as well.

That is turning out real nice. 

OK so latest progress i got the suspension stripped off and im working on finishing the frame. The right side is pretty much done but one thing keeps bugging me. Should I put an additional diaginal brace to the rear upper control arm mount ?  Im still going to gusset and plate the arm moount tabs but dont know about adding that brace.Image may contain: bicycleNo automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.

Yes the rear upper arm mount should have a brace to stop that vertical tube from flexing. The uppers take more beating than most assume. 

Would it hurt? nope. Would i add one? probably not. your not going to run baja. if you stuff a witches eye hard enough to shove the arm back and bend that tube, thats not the only thing that will be destroyed. You already have way more bracing in the front than the front of my car and i punish mine pretty hard without issue. 

2 hours ago, Hondo said:

Yes the rear upper arm mount should have a brace to stop that vertical tube from flexing. The uppers take more beating than most assume. 

Were would you put it hondo. i thought back to A pillar junction or across to the oposite side shock tower junction. That bar will would be heavier that a short one back to A pillar.

2 hours ago, danbalz said:

Were would you put it hondo. i thought back to A pillar junction or across to the oposite side shock tower junction. That bar will would be heavier that a short one back to A pillar.

I think you'll be fine with what you have there. My DD doesn't have one and it's mounted the same way...neither did my Sand Limo. 

The direction of load on that tab would make the most useful place to add a support tube where your legs need to be. The few places you could place it that wouldn't get in the way of driver and passenger would give little support if any. The majority of load on the upper tabs is braking force, at lest that's what to guys that built some big name car told me. It's also why some builders put the top heim joints horizontal.  Funco Gen 5 isn't braced there and my car isn't either. I think the way you have it is good.

3 hours ago, danbalz said:

I would put a short one back to the A pillar. Anything to stop the flex. A tube should not be used in deflection. Thubes should always have some backer tube used in compression or tension. Just because some builders leave tubes like that doesn't make it right. That tube will weigh about 8 ounces if built out of 1 1/4". Its not that your existing tube will bend, it's that if it flexes continuously it will crack over time. 

16 hours ago, Hondo said:

I would put a short one back to the A pillar. Anything to stop the flex. A tube should not be used in deflection. Thubes should always have some backer tube used in compression or tension. Just because some builders leave tubes like that doesn't make it right. That tube will weigh about 8 ounces if built out of 1 1/4". Its not that your existing tube will bend, it's that if it flexes continuously it will crack over time. 

This.  

Visual:

37335354_10211289564347597_5233418556414099456_n.jpg.9030e09cacccb06c6ba4524f1d75f246.jpg

Additional braces if you think you've got the foot room:

37335354_10211289564347597_5233418556414099456_n(2).jpg.758a9185c1297d87ee6a32edde0fa553.jpg

Or even:

37335354_10211289564347597_5233418556414099456_n(3).jpg.b81ee7dbcf18aa4278174677959d4d7a.jpg

Second tube would help as the load path is more diagonal than back to the A-pillar (your tabs are almost in line), so there will be some deflection with only one.  Either way, at least it's not a dead node from the arm.  This was what I was talking about for bracing your uppers previously.

And yeah, maybe 2lbs total to the vehicle for the single brace, 5-ish for both.  Won't need to be .120 wall or anything.  Some 1.25x0.065 would probably be more than sufficient.

17 hours ago, jwest2sh said:

I think you'll be fine with what you have there. My DD doesn't have one and it's mounted the same way...neither did my Sand Limo. 

My 2 seat Alumicraft pre-runner chassis does not have anything bracing this same tube.  I'd bet you'd rip the arm or tabs off before hurting that tube.  I would run it without concern of structural damage unless you use some suuuper thin walled tube.