DunerDean

Strange heim joint cracking/wearing

Heim joints on our rear arms of our long travel were a little bit squeaky so we decided its time for a new set.  We intended to make it through the season before changing.  Noticed a strange crack or wear mark in the heims.  We have new ones on order just didn't want to replace in the beginning of the season (Midwest Season).  Anyone else have similar wear to their heims?  Super strange crack its very straight only a slight curve and both heims have these cracks.  Doesn't go all the way through the heim or even down the side.  Just to play it safe and to avoid anyother damage we will replace these heims once new ones arrive.  Just looking for similar stories or ideas why this happened.  Also please excuse the bad quality picture and dirt, picture was taken after a ride ?.

Attach45577_20180528_160233.jpg

Edited by DunerDean

Looks like some kind of casting mark?

Thats what we assume if its not a crack. Seems like such a weird cast mark to me. Very odd.  Ill inspect it more once pulled. 

Good heim joints should not be cast/have casting marks

Put some heat to it. If its a crack it will spread with heat

***do this carefully in moderation depending on heim construction***

Edited by sausage450r

It’s just a crappy heim. Just put a new one on there like an FK or something simalar. I am a little confused as to why you wouldn’t put a new heim on at the beginning of your season. Put new ones one before it breaks and tears up a bunch of stuff. It looks like it’s been ridden hard and put away wet anyways. 

Edited by Blue-Jay

59 minutes ago, scott24 said:

Good heim joints should not be cast/have casting marks

It’s not a good heim joint!! Haha

Couldnt find a rod end video but this ball end is cool

Cool video. Love their safety standards. We’ve had a hand split in half clearing a “birds nest” lathe running, and a hole nearly punched in same hand palm hammering a tube plug in a roll cut tube on mandrel bender. Gloves, eyes, and turn sh1t off!

DO NOT SEARCH LATHE FAILS if you are squeemish!

Edited by sausage450r

I have seen a rod end break about that same place many years ago. In a Jeep, 4 bar front and 5/8" on HARD braking in the dunes. Damage was substantial. Today those would be 1- 1.25"  It was from a good OEM but of a lesser grade and bought because of "budget."

If you have two with similar "marks" I would think it is a manufacturing thing. Rod ends can be a crap shoot to buy if not informed. Even the same part number bearing can have different "fits" that you will only get from talking to the OEM...not a retailer..  

As a general rule: If they don't advertise the build parts with specifications including loads,  then stay away from them. Compare the load specs with other manufacturers and the same offerings within that OEM. Generally you are going to want a Chrome-molly or hardened steel rod end for off-road toys. Then you have choices of Teflon or Nylon lined. And there are differences in Teflon's and Nylon's. A Telfon mat will be the toughest. Anything Impregnated or poured in place (Nylon-Nylatron-Teflon usually won't last as long. 

A good starting place to COMPARE anything would be the FK JMX series. These seem to be THE standard for offroad replacements.  The Teflon series will have a T after the "size."  https://www.fkrodends.com/products/rod-ends/precision-series/jmx-jfx/  FK brand/mfg are available from a number of outlets. It Pays to shop. When you are buying 16ea for a rig it pays to really shop and not to downgrade for a "budget."  16 x $20 profit on that many bearings for one phone call leaves some room to negotiate. Roundy rounders use, sell, and buy 1000,s per month. Hint. 

If you cannot get specifications it's not worth the wreck!!!!! They don't care about your liability!!!!!!!!!!  Buyer beware.

With all this said. Breaking a rod end is unusual, and you will see a lot more broken brackets, bolts (Grade 8 or 9), and pulled threads. A binding heim will go away fast so look for collateral damage. 

Edited by Ben Bower

Funny thing is I just found out this is already an FK heim joint....JMX12T.....confusing right? 

Also buggy is brand new to us.  We are learning new things about this car everyday.  This is the reason why we didn't want to replace the heims. We just got the thing, no one wants to sit in the garage working on car when we could be playing in the sand!

Edited by DunerDean

Swapping out those 2 heims is an hour or two job at the most. Fixing the damage from one failing, quite a bit longer.

Never said I didn't agree with replacing heims!!! Just wasnt expecting that id need to do it!  Already ordered new ones.  As stated in original post....point of this thread was to figure out why these heims cracked like this and to prevent it from happening.  I fully understand what can happen if these fails.  No one is ever happy to find out they need to do more work on their buggy.

I don’t think the Heims are cracked. They just look like shitty quality. Maybe it’s just me but when I buy a used car every single moving suspension part is changed or taken apart and inspected before me or my family even gets in. I’ve seen really really bad stuff on 100k sand cars that were prestine condition ready to go “supposedly”!!

17 hours ago, DunerDean said:

Never said I didn't agree with replacing heims!!! Just wasnt expecting that id need to do it!  Already ordered new ones.  As stated in original post....point of this thread was to figure out why these heims cracked like this and to prevent it from happening.  I fully understand what can happen if these fails.  No one is ever happy to find out they need to do more work on their buggy.

:thumbup: 

I will say the only thing to expect with owning a sandrail is unexpected repairs and expenses.  :makerain:   :lol: