Well, my father in law purchased his first YXZ1000r from Berts mega on fathers day. A left over 2017 with paddle shifters in white. 

What are the first mods to do to these little guys. Obviously a cage and harnesses are a must from all the scary stories of the stock cages not worth a crap, bending and folding in over simple rollovers...

Turbo kit definitely in near future. Going to be taking it out to Pismo beach for it's first trip on July 4th

4 minutes ago, banshee380 said:

Well, my father in law purchased his first YXZ1000r from Berts mega on fathers day. A left over 2017 with paddle shifters in white. 

What are the first mods to do to these little guys. Obviously a cage and harnesses are a must from all the scary stories of the stock cages not worth a crap, bending and folding in over simple rollovers...

Turbo kit definitely in near future. Going to be taking it out to Pismo beach for it's first trip on July 4th

Talk to Robert RKracing he has done a lot of work on his 1000 and turbo kit.... 

(sp)

Edited by Sumsand

26 minutes ago, Sumsand said:

Talk to Robert RKracing he has done a lot of work on his 1000 and turbo kit.... 

(sp)

this

YXZtalk.com has all that you seek Grasshopper............... :-)

Suspension work is a absolute must. At minimum get a spring kit 

3 hours ago, banshee380 said:

A pipe and flash the computer. 

Don't lean on it if you do a turbo kit, otherwise the engine will force you to put rods in it. And cases, and a whole slew of parts when it comes apart. Seeing them come apart at 140-160 on the regular now. 

4 hours ago, I'm Sorry said:

this

Yeah what they said 

Suspension is based on what model you have. If you have a bone stock model then of course after market springs will definitely help. If you have a SE special addition you already have beyond excellent shocks on there and they just need to be adjusted . YXZtalk.com  you will get the answer for every single question you have on that website. Everyone has already  modified these every single which way and it just depends on how you ride. 

ECU Flash fixes the high temp (at least it did on mine) plus pulling out the spark arrestor and weller air injection block off kit kills the exhaust popping and makes its sound way better (about $250 for flash and block off kit). I don't want a this yxz any louder than it already is so I went with the Alba silent but deadly kit, supposed to add 25 HP to the rear wheels ( have it purchased but not installed yet). As soon as the cams go in I am going to have it dyno'ed so I can tell if its BS or not.

I would stay away from a turbo.  Every person I know that went to a turbo on the YXZ are always tinkering with it.  I would do the gear reduction as that is your best bang for your buck.  It makes the gears more usable in the sand.  Add a tune, cam and pipe and you are good.  The car likes to be revved to hit the fun factor. 

I would look into suspension work and a long travel kit as well.  

Edited by Sand Shark

Your clutch won't handle too much extra hp with paddles.  Tubeworks mods the clutch to handle more hp and can regarding for you.  Don't over paddle.  They like 26-14 skats

Ya can’t put more money, time and heart in turboing the YXZ than guys in our group and they’ve all thrown in the towel in frustration. 

We’re talking serious money and focused dedication with talented guys with big wallets that know what they are looking at. Several different systems and they all were catastrophic headaches.  

Maybe someone will have figured out turboing YXZs when he’s ready but I’d seriously research it first and ask yourself if you have the patience and wallet for it. No one loves the YXZ more than this kid and their efforts and bank was a real eye opener. 

You can join us in our camp and discuss it with them if you don’t buy into my take  When they ran it was amazing but the side effects and mulligans,,,, think it over. 

Our local dealer was installing what they said was a Yamaha authorized turbo in a customers new YFZ. Read that : What they said was Yamaha approved. Damfino if that’s accurate or gloss. 

That same engine in a Snowmobile may be suited and just enough different to allowing turboing, but something is definitely different in the YXZ version application is their take. Damfino about that too. I dunno.

Reflash the ECU is about as far away from stock as ya may wanna go IMHO. 

That’s lot of money and lost fun for a normally very reliable vehicle to just be sitting on the trailer broken all the time. 

Brother have I seen that. 

This is my advise and free advise is worth what ya paid for it.

Edited by Dune Bandits