jwest2sh

2000 F250 7.3 upgrades (New injectors installed)

11 hours ago, realbadlarry said:

I thought they made extra long boots or dimpled pipes to prevent that?

I have the lifetime Mishimoto boots on it and the factory tubes do have a small dimple (it could be bigger though).  The Dieselsite boots might be a little longer, but its usually not an issue with the 7.3 unless you change the turbo and are up in the 40+ PSI boost range.  I have a mechanical blowoff valve that is set to the 29-30PSI range.  It hasn't happened since I cleaned the oil off and I've been up to 30PSI several times.  

I haven't been on this site for a long time....last night I went on here to see if there were any 2015-2016 F250's for sale and I came across this thread.  Finished reading it this morning and I'm thinking I might want to keep my 7.3, what a great read with lots of good info!  Bought this 2000 a couple months ago to take the place of a 2015 F150 2.7L that was just struggling to pull my 26' trailer.  Wife wants to get back into the desert scene so I bought this from my brother in law who bought it from someone in El Cajon.  He knows nothing about the truck minus the guy "went through everything".  He only kept it for 3 months then bought a raptor.   Stopped by East County Diesel and they said it had all kinds of nice new parts on it, but they didn't know the truck.  So other than the fact I know it's super clean, has 200K miles, and lots of new parts, has never towed anything (I had to install all the tow relays, fuses and plug), has a bully dog programmer, AFE intake and new exhaust, I know nothing about the transmission or engine.   

A few of you guys are in East County, does anyone recognize this truck?  Only thing my brother in law did was swap out the wheels, I think it had chrome wheels on it and he went to black.  I sure would like to know if any trans or motor work has been done to this truck so I have a baseline and figure out if I need to visit John Woods prior to getting back into a toy hauler and RZR setup.  Keep up the post, lots of great info!

IMG_9348.jpg

IMG_9349.jpg

IMG_9351.jpg

WOW I thought that was one of our old Superdutys until I got to the interior picture..  We have had quite a few over the years.  Great looking truck.  Should give you plenty of trouble free miles.  I have had mine for over 16 years and with over 470k miles, I still love this thing.

1 hour ago, Booshwa said:

I haven't been on this site for a long time....last night I went on here to see if there were any 2015-2016 F250's for sale and I came across this thread.  Finished reading it this morning and I'm thinking I might want to keep my 7.3, what a great read with lots of good info!  Bought this 2000 a couple months ago to take the place of a 2015 F150 2.7L that was just struggling to pull my 26' trailer.  Wife wants to get back into the desert scene so I bought this from my brother in law who bought it from someone in El Cajon.  He knows nothing about the truck minus the guy "went through everything".  He only kept it for 3 months then bought a raptor.   Stopped by East County Diesel and they said it had all kinds of nice new parts on it, but they didn't know the truck.  So other than the fact I know it's super clean, has 200K miles, and lots of new parts, has never towed anything (I had to install all the tow relays, fuses and plug), has a bully dog programmer, AFE intake and new exhaust, I know nothing about the transmission or engine.   

A few of you guys are in East County, does anyone recognize this truck?  Only thing my brother in law did was swap out the wheels, I think it had chrome wheels on it and he went to black.  I sure would like to know if any trans or motor work has been done to this truck so I have a baseline and figure out if I need to visit John Woods prior to getting back into a toy hauler and RZR setup.  Keep up the post, lots of great info!

IMG_9348.jpg

IMG_9349.jpg

IMG_9351.jpg

Beautiful truck. I am an east county 7.3 guy. I do not recognize yours. Lube yourself up before doing business with east county diesel. I laughed when he quoted 2700$ to change the oil and filter in my trans till i realized he was serious.

Edited by sausage450r

They’re down the street from me in Alpine.  I’m not sure who the good Diesel guys are out here.  Was thinking I’d just hire the OP!  He seems to know everything about these trucks

Pine valley auto repair in alpine are very good with diesels. The 7.3l is so simple you can do most things yourself with minimal mechanical experience.

riffraffdiesel.com is an excellent source for quality aftermarket and oem parts (only use oem sensors/electronics) shipping is usually same or next day.  2 days standard service to socal. I keep important things like FPR’s glow plugs, fuel pump, fuel/coolant filters etc on hand as i my wife and i both drive powerstrokes. We are nearby in pine valley i pass alpine every day if you ever need anything in a pinch.

Edited by sausage450r

.....i need to call john and get a valve body to go with my chip. The trans shifts uncomfortably hard with the chip

13 hours ago, sausage450r said:

Beautiful truck. I am an east county 7.3 guy. I do not recognize yours. Lube yourself up before doing business with east county diesel. I laughed when he quoted 2700$ to change the oil and filter in my trans till i realized he was serious.

$2700?  Seriously?  I wonder how many people pay that and think it's "normal"?

7 hours ago, Booshwa said:

They’re down the street from me in Alpine.  I’m not sure who the good Diesel guys are out here.  Was thinking I’d just hire the OP!  He seems to know everything about these trucks

There are plenty of people on here with lots of 7.3 experience.  It will save you lots of money fixing things yourself.

Jesse at Diesel Doctor is a super good guy to deal with and fair prices.

They'r at the corner of 2nd St and Pepper Dr.

https://www.thedieseldoctorsd.com/

2 hours ago, LovesDunes said:

$2700?  Seriously?  I wonder how many people pay that and think it's "normal"?

Yup completely serious. His shop is right behind mine. Thought it would save me some time before a river trip. FYI. Brand new ford tranny with fluid on a pallet is 3200$ delivered to your dealer.

I bought my excursion from him. The owner couldnt afford the 13k$ bill that didnt include replacing the engine. He basically did head gaskets, Ppe oil cooler and afe bladerunner egr cooler, and reclocked the turbo and updated to the larger vent tube

Edited by sausage450r

19 hours ago, Booshwa said:

IMG_9348.jpg

IMG_9349.jpg

IMG_9351.jpg

Very nice 7.3!  I don't recognize it....  As previously said, there is a ton of 7.3 experience on this board.  Hit us up if you have any questions.  These trucks are very easy to work on and parts are everywhere.  I was going to sell mine and had a couple really good offers but I just couldn't part with it.  I love driving it too much.  I'm planning on a fresh coat of paint this summer (or maybe a wrap....can't decide) and a coilover front axle swap.  I'm starting to collect parts for it.  Post up any upgrades you do to yours.  I always enjoy watching people upgrade their rigs and always pic up a few things or ideas along the way. 

~jw

11 hours ago, sausage450r said:

.....i need to call john and get a valve body to go with my chip. The trans shifts uncomfortably hard with the chip

What chip do you have and who did the tune?  I have a Hydra and i was running the box hydra tunes you can download off the internet.  I bought some tunes from Full Force Diesel when I put the new injectors in...  100% better.  No more hard shifts in my performance tune but still hits pretty hard in the tow tune.  You'll probably need different tunes with the new valve body anyway...someone told me John Woods has tunes for it that go with his valve body.

~jw

Just thought I update this thread.  I've got 1500 miles on the new injectors and haven't burned any oil.  She starts right up and runs great!  Haven't blown the boots off again since I cleaned the intake tubes and I've had it up to 35PSI several times just to see if they'll come off.  I picked up a '08-'10 front Dana 60 for it just because I came across a good deal.  I'm starting to collect parts for my axle swap.  I paid $800 for the axle with the steering and it was delivered to my house.  I had some metal left over from previous projects so I built an axle cart to move it around my garage.  This thing is HEAVY!  Just a couple of pics for fun....

~jw

IMG_2828.JPG

IMG_2826.JPG

IMG_2825.JPG

IMG_2827.JPG

IMG_2829.JPG

IMG_2830.JPG

IMG_2831.JPG

IMG_2832.JPG

IMG_2833.JPG

Just now, jwest2sh said:

Just thought I update this thread.  I've got 1500 miles on the new injectors and haven't burned any oil.  She starts right up and runs great!  Haven't blown the boots off again since I cleaned the intake tubes and I've had it up to 35PSI several times just to see if they'll come off.  I picked up a '08-'10 front Dana 60 for it just because I came across a good deal.  I'm starting to collect parts for my axle swap.  I paid $800 for the axle with the steering and it was delivered to my house.  I had some metal left over from previous projects so I built an axle cart to move it around my garage.  This thing is HEAVY!  Just a couple of pics for fun....

~jw

IMG_2831.JPG

Great idea on the cart!  I need to make one of those so the runs to wrecking yard  to pull axles would be easier.

1 hour ago, jwest2sh said:

What chip do you have and who did the tune?  I have a Hydra and i was running the box hydra tunes you can download off the internet.  I bought some tunes from Full Force Diesel when I put the new injectors in...  100% better.  No more hard shifts in my performance tune but still hits pretty hard in the tow tune.  You'll probably need different tunes with the new valve body anyway...someone told me John Woods has tunes for it that go with his valve body.

~jw

Its a hydra. I got it from john woods he did the tunes. Suggested i get his valve body. 

Speaking of parts and wrecking yards... anyone know whats up with hwy 67 dismantlers? Web says permanently closed and number doesnt work

Edited by sausage450r

1 hour ago, sausage450r said:

Its a hydra. I got it from john woods he did the tunes. Suggested i get his valve body. 

Speaking of parts and wrecking yards... anyone know whats up with hwy 67 dismantlers? Web says permanently closed and number doesnt work

I want to have Woods do my trans when it goes....I hadn't heard about 67 dismantlers closed up shop??? 

9 minutes ago, jwest2sh said:

I want to have Woods do my trans when it goes....I hadn't heard about 67 dismantlers closed up shop??? 

Mr Wood does great work and his customer service is awesome.

67 closed a while ago.  I heard A&B Truck owns those parts now.  

1 hour ago, LovesDunes said:

Mr Wood does great work and his customer service is awesome.

67 closed a while ago.  I heard A&B Truck owns those parts now.  

I can attest to customer service. He dropped the chip off at my house! Thats service!