Sign in to follow this  
dbart

DEF Fluid, what do you use?

So, got myself a 2018 Siverado 2500 HD and unlike my old Duramax...I have to fill this new one with DEF fluid.

I have about 800 miles till I need to fill it up.

I have seen Bu Def, AC Delco, SuperTECH, etc...

Any thoughts to which to get. I know not to get it from the dealer cause they charge an arm and a leg.

Thanks,

db

Calling @Grease Monkey

Might want to buy stock in it once you decide  :lol:

On that note I just use the peak on my F-250 power stroke work truck when in need. Dealer fills it every oil change and will last till next oil change

walmart brand 

Don't forget when dealer does the 2 free oil changes  they will fill the def also 

I have 13k on my 2017 ram 2500 and have only used the Supertech def fluid. i pick it up at Walmart and its only $7.50 for 2.5 gallons. I would be interested in knowing if there is a difference between the brands. i thought it was all the same stuff just different prices.

Biggest issue with the big box stores is the date code. In order for the Walmarts and Club stores to offer great prices, they need to buy it by the train load. Same goes for the mom and pop stores that do not move much product.

My cost from my oil distributor is $12.00 for the 2.5G jug. 

Truck stops, directly from the pump.  Cheaper than anywhere I've found jugs (less than $3/gal) and should be fresh given the turnover, constant use.

Edited by azcg

I dont... got rid of that shit long ago lol but on a brand new truck I would prob use it until I was tired of driving a hybrid that I cant hear lol

8 hours ago, azcg said:

Truck stops, directly from the pump.  Cheaper than anywhere I've found jugs (less than $3/gal) and should be fresh given the turnover, constant use.

that is where I fill up.  easy as pie just like filling gas.  if you goto the truck lane you just fill your fuel and def at the same time. 

Just a warning if you’re getting your DEF from Walmart make sure the box is sealed. And the the jug also. They use to sell returned DEF fluid that was actually water. 

It's all the same formulation, it has to be to be sold as DEF. It's exactly 67.5% deionized water and 32.5% urea. Buy it from whoever has it the cheapest, make sure the bottle is sealed. You can get it at truck stops from the pump if there are no trucks waiting. It has a shelf life of at least a year at 80f, there should be a date printed on the bottle. 

Fwiw, I used to have a lot of it sitting in my garage that I used in the moho a little at a time, it was definitely stored longer than a year and in really hot temps but has not caused any poor fluid quality codes to set. DEF usage in the moho is really not bad at all. It is supposed to be about 1% of the diesel fuel used, a little more if towing.

Edited by fortyfour

Keep your tank full when it’s hot out.  The stuff will crystallize on the sensors, causing cel codes.

Just put in 5 gallons. The funnel that comes with the Blu Def sucks so I made sure I have a large funnel to pour in.

I didn't want to over fill so I use a 1 gallon Refreshe water jug that I pour the DEF fluid into.

I just do 1 gallon at a time. These jugs are way better for pouring anyways.

large_0671ef5c-4189-42db-9094-2a32c4969682.jpg

Walmart DEF and I buy my Shell Rotella oil and Delco filter there too. 

Oil changes are super easy accessible on the new DMax trucks. 

I change the Allison Trans fluid every 30k though the book says 100k. 

I use BP Transyd and the spin on filter from Napa. 

On 6/28/2018 at 9:53 PM, fortyfour said:

It's all the same formulation, it has to be to be sold as DEF. It's exactly 67.5% deionized water and 32.5% urea

u·re·a
yo͝oˈrēə/
noun
BIOCHEMISTRY

1. a colorless crystalline compound that is the main nitrogenous breakdown product of protein metabolism in mammals and is excreted in urine.

You can't tell me this BS is anything but snake oil that is forced on the public to buy. Right up there with muffler bearing lube.
Edited by SANDPSYCHO

Yes urea is pee but I've not been privied with information on how it's made. It's the ammonia that is what's used in DEF, the water is just the carrier.

It isn't BS, DEF systems do work to reduce NOX emissions in diesel exhaust. I can drive a Duramax with a scanner hooked up and watch the #1 and #2 NOX sensor readings at hwy speeds, the DEF and selective catalyst reduce NOX emissions from a pre-cat value of 200ppm down to usually less than 20-30ppm, often times lower. That means the air YOU breath is cleaner and there are far less ozone depleting compounds going into the atmosphere.

Oh and don't dilute it with more water to make it go farther, the ecm has algorithms that are calibrated to the temp of the fluid in the tank vs the NOX reduction values for about a million different engine operating conditions. In a nutshell it knows when you have tampered with it and it will go into a few stages of reduced engine power ending up at 5mph if you ignore all of them. You would be surprised at how many drivers ignore the warning messages, it's as if they think the truck is calling their bluff. They come in on the tow truck. LOL

I don't like it either but it's here to stay. 

Edited by fortyfour

if yougo to Oreillys, it is something like 14 bucks there for the Blue DEF. I pull up Walmart on my phone and they price the 11 dollars it costs there.

I use absolutely nothing. Delete it.

13 hours ago, banshee380 said:

I use absolutely nothing. Delete it.

Same here. Deleting my 2011 LML was the best thing I have ever done to the truck.

Deletes for 17-up wont be availible for a atleast another month or two. Hell you cant even tune them till the boys that are currently working with HP tuners finishes up finding the rest of the needed tables in HEX and convertes them to tables. They did a rough tune last week though and made 540rwhp  with emissions intact. 

Like Grease Monkey says, check walmart dates and use or i use the pumps at truck stops. The pumps are way less messy. 

Edited by Chevy1925

2006 Dodge.... what's DEF? 

:sha:

On 7/9/2018 at 2:59 PM, dbart said:

Just put in 5 gallons. The funnel that comes with the Blu Def sucks so I made sure I have a large funnel to pour in.

I didn't want to over fill so I use a 1 gallon Refreshe water jug that I pour the DEF fluid into.

I just do 1 gallon at a time. These jugs are way better for pouring anyways.

large_0671ef5c-4189-42db-9094-2a32c4969682.jpg

I buy mine for my BMW at Walmart and keep it in A water bottle too for ease of Pouring,   Luckily mine only uses about a gallon per 10,000 miles.