Grease Monkey

RV Toilet, Whats what and why.

Looking into updating or upgrading the throne in our new to us RV. It currently has the thetford model with the hand valve. image.png

Its plastic and I've hear of some porcelain ones available. I would rather have the foot flush and a sprayer and have seen a few of those in friends rv's and prefer it over what we have.

Having not removed one of these from an rv yet. What am I up against?

Who has done an upgrade and hows the performance? :lol:

It is easy, but still gross. Empty and flush tanks, maybe even throw some bleach in there to help with smell. Disconnect water line, unbolt, lift off and deposit into trash. Install new one, grab Summit catalog, and test it out. One variable though that I can't speak to is if you replace the Thetford with a Dometic. Holes may be different, but I doubt it. 

7 minutes ago, AlpineFunco said:

It is easy, but still gross. Empty and flush tanks, maybe even throw some bleach in there to help with smell. Disconnect water line, unbolt, lift off and deposit into trash. Install new one, grab Summit catalog, and test it out. One variable though that I can't speak to is if you replace the Thetford with a Dometic. Holes may be different, but I doubt it. 

Thanks, Thinking the same brand would help with mounting as well.

Just reviewed Thetfords site. They have a model called residential. Seems to have a normal sized seat.

Somewhat obviously they come in full height as in bolted to the floor or the short version that is up on a platform.  The foot valve would not be a great choice if what you have is on a platform and as stated sticking to the same brand gives you a better chance of bolting right up but I would not count on it.   The water valves on the porcelain ones seem to be somewhat more sensitive to hard water buildup in my experience and bleeding thru but you can get a kit to rebuild them... might be worth it to have one on board if they are cheap enough considering most of us dry camp and having a valve leak thru and go thru all you water and filling your black tank is no fun.

Potty mouth.. :lmao:

I want to change mine. I hate the fact that's it round and every time I go poop I think I'm gonna touch the water when wiping.

I'm going with the Dometic 320 which is porcelain and elongated. 

44 minutes ago, sinverguenza said:

I want to change mine. I hate the fact that's it round and every time I go poop I think I'm gonna touch the water when wiping.

I'm going with the Dometic 320 which is porcelain and elongated. 

Basically the same thing as the one I was looking at. Seems like the way to go.

I’ve installed this one in three of our trailers now. It’s the biggest and best and it is a full size oval or some people call it elongated. Same flange either brand....  sometimes you might have to change the hose fitting that has a weird clamp on it and Home Depot has the tool for that crimping process.  10 minute job if it goes right and if you have to re-crimp a fitting maybe 20 to 25 minutes total. The sprayer is a option and very very easy to install.  I did purchase the sprayer, I just have not installed it yet but will soon.

85C7E635-06B1-4142-BCCB-4A3A70232090.jpeg

D1DBF43F-5B12-4E86-B89B-250200D502C1.jpeg

2E145D67-276A-41CD-B355-868851BFA257.jpeg

Edited by RK Racing

************** IMPORTANT **************  this toilet does require more backspace from the centerline of the drain hole so double check using the dimensions that are on that box that I posted.......  my trailer is one year old and it came with the same brand toilet and it was ceramic but it was round. So the elongated one does not stick out further in the front but it goes further back you might say ..........

* Nothing in the world like being comfortable on your throne...........

Edited by RK Racing

Our moho has Dometic vacuflush macerator toilets. Some manufacturers use them when the toilet is not mounted directly over the black tank. They are overly complicated. I hate them.

13 hours ago, RK Racing said:

I’ve installed this one in three of our trailers now. It’s the biggest and best and it is a full size oval or some people call it elongated. Same flange either brand....  sometimes you might have to change the hose fitting that has a weird clamp on it and Home Depot has the tool for that crimping process.  10 minute job if it goes right and if you have to re-crimp a fitting maybe 20 to 25 minutes total. The sprayer is a option and very very easy to install.  I did purchase the sprayer, I just have not installed it yet but will soon.

85C7E635-06B1-4142-BCCB-4A3A70232090.jpeg

D1DBF43F-5B12-4E86-B89B-250200D502C1.jpeg

2E145D67-276A-41CD-B355-868851BFA257.jpeg

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

28 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

Winner winner Chronic tacos Dinner ? 

E525602F-AB86-4CCA-86F3-FCC3F741DFFD.jpeg

53 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

No chicken....  Asada Taco’s is da winner ? 

A0E4719B-09A7-430A-AD8B-852A38B52B0F.jpeg

Edited by RK Racing

This is what I recently upgraded to...…..

loo.jpg

I've changed a few, the water line has been the only variable item.

We got the Dometic 310 Series Standard Height w/ Hand Spray, White $180 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-Standard-Height-Toilet-White/dp/B00JQYOAVG/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1530551233&sr=8-15&keywords=rv%2Btoilet&th=1

1 hour ago, spize909 said:

This is what I recently upgraded to...…..

loo.jpg

Simple Life, happy life.

Now you can avoid the long lines at the dump stations. Just toss in the Glamis Trash bins and be on your way :lol:

36 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

Simple Life, happy life.

Now you can avoid the long lines at the dump stations. Just toss in the Glamis Trash bins and be on your way :lol:

Best to use a new Homer bucket from the Home Depot and instead of throwing away just put the lid back on it and place in the parking lot of your closest Home Depot....... in crackhead country.

The joy on the face of that thieving crackhead when they get home and open it up is priceless.   

I installed a Dometic 310 in our 5th wheel before we sold it. I was trying to clean out the screen because it had some calcium build up and I broke the housing. Since the base of the toilet is all one piece, a new one was needed. Pretty easy to install. Same as a house. I replaced apples to apples so I can’t comment on other brands fitting. 

Andrew

The Dometic 320 with hand sprayer is the Cadillac of RV toilets. Buy a new seal they are rubber foam and to cheap not to. Unhook the water undo the 2 1/2" nuts and they lift right off. I put down a 50 gallon trash bag next to it then lift it off and into the bag so you don't have any dripage getting the old one out the door. Unless there is an issue it's a 30 minute job max.

All good info. Thanks everyone. Online purchase this weekend!!!

Does the 320 have the ball that rotates vs a slide for TP to get stuck in?

On 7/6/2018 at 7:29 PM, onanysunday said:

Does the 320 have the ball that rotates vs a slide for TP to get stuck in?

yes it does.

had the same hand valve operated one as you have in my old 5er. i replaced it with the thetford aqua-magic ceramic with foot flush. replacing the toilet itself was super easy. i did have to come up with a new coupler setup as the old toilet and new one had different fitting angles. it worked pretty well and was a definite improvement.

my moho has the dometic 310 series (round bowl version of the 320) and i like it much better. especially the 360 swirl bowl rinsing. the thetford only had a rinser deal on the back part of the bowl that just kind of sprayed all over. the dometic also feels sturdier to me.