MGM/FRP

Stolen!!! two 2018 seadoos on a trailer from socal

It looks like John runs a legit business. If the skis and trailer were insured for theft, he's losing money by not making an insurance claim and replacing them while the season's still in full swing.

It's hard enough to run a business and survive, so I understand if he doesn't have theft insurance on all of his assets.

Couple of questions, though. Which agency has this case......San Diego P.D. or Riverside County S.O.? (They were stolen in Fontana, so I wonder why that P.D. isn't involved.)

Secondly, does he know if the agency handling the case has assigned it to a detective and who the Det. is?

Not to get off topic but I know if I lost my manx and had to settle for insurance money I wouldn't get much money. I have been looking for a affordable tracking device that would track my car for at least a few days so I could find the car myself, but cant seem to find one that meets my needs .I would think someone in the rental business could use something like this to sleep at night knowing that the police don't have the time or resources  to deal with stuff like this.I sure hope he gets these ski's back and the thieves get caught.

Johnny

Yes he has insurance and yes a claim has been filed and they are being difficult because they are rentals.  The attorneys are involved and he will eventually recover his money. In the meantime, this asshat is making threats and screwing with him. The FBI is now involved and hopefully will be more productive than the local police have been.  The original police report was filed in Riverside because that's were the renter was (even though they were not her property) she has now disappeared. The Riverside investigator has been little more than useless and has done nothing but apologize for lack of response. The San diego police (wich is were the owner of the ski's lives) hasn't been much better and tries to refer him back to the riverside police. The Arizona police (were they have been spotted) pretty much is useless as well. There is a several thousand dollar reward that John has put up for the recovery of the property, but mainly to find the POS that did this and deal with them/him. If the property is not recovered, then so be it, but would still like to find the shitheads who did it. 

1 hour ago, jaysbay777 said:

Not to get off topic but I know if I lost my manx and had to settle for insurance money I wouldn't get much money. I have been looking for a affordable tracking device that would track my car for at least a few days so I could find the car myself, but cant seem to find one that meets my needs .I would think someone in the rental business could use something like this to sleep at night knowing that the police don't have the time or resources  to deal with stuff like this.I sure hope he gets these ski's back and the thieves get caught.

Johnny

we have GPS trackers on all of our stuff now. Call me Johnny and I can show you what we did.  It runs a little over $100 per year and gives you a pretty accurate location.  The batteries last well over a month between charges.  www.trak-4.com

Edited by MGM/FRP

2 hours ago, jaysbay777 said:

Not to get off topic but I know if I lost my manx and had to settle for insurance money I wouldn't get much money.

That's a reminder to all of us to make sure we review policies with our agent(s) occasionally to make sure we're not shorted in the event of a loss.

1 hour ago, MGM/FRP said:

Yes he has insurance and yes a claim has been filed and they are being difficult because they are rentals.

He's in the rental business. I wonder what excuse the insurance company is giving in being difficult. That's BS.

San Diego P.D. is doing the right thing in this. His shop isn't in San Diego and they weren't stolen in San Diego. Any follow-up should be handled by the reporting agency (unless there's a timely spotting in another jurisdiction). The theft even occurred outside of San Diego County, in Fontana, I believe you said. More than likely, the first harmful event occurred at his shop when they were rented with no intent of returning them.

The trailer plate & VIN, hull identification numbers and CA boat registration numbers should all be entered into the National Crime Information Center, and that's managed by the FBI.

That's really what most of us can expect in the event of vehicle theft. Pretty much off radar until some cop has reasonable suspicion to stop and check NCIC or some lake patrol cop stops somebody for being an azzhat and checks the numbers on the vessel. Or some BLM Ranger.......oh.............never mind.

If the FBI is further involved because he received phone threats, it's possible they can cut thru the local L.E. BS and get some info on the blocked caller. That would be nice.

His shop is in San Diego and so is his Residence. The skis were only reported stolen in riverside to throw off the scent from the thief. The asshat admitted on the phone "Ha Ha, we got you!!"   wich lead all of us to believe that the renter was in on it.

Maybe posting up renters name and contact info will help. It seemed to work with the contractor that burned Happy/Vforce a while ago.

The problem is that since they were willingly given to her, in the form of a rental, it's called conversion, not theft. Shitty and stupid, but that's just the way it goes.  

I just saw the shop address (So Cal Toy Shack) listed in San Marcos. Different business?

I'd imagine he'd have a copy of her drivers license. Looks like he's rents a lot of different types of equipment.

yes,  He has her drivers license, and cops still cant find her!

The harsh reality is she rented them and then reported them stolen. Nothing illegal so far.

No jurisdiction is going to drop everything to go find the stolen items. It just won't happen.

As said before, they have been entered into a nationwide system and if the numbers are run they will come up stolen.

Not a hell of a lot more can be done - sad truth but truth none the less.

As far as a guy calling (as you said) drugged, from a blocked number and in another state, what is Fontana PD supposed to do? Lake Havasu PD can't help since there was no location given other than Lake Havasu (if I understand this correctly) 

San Marcos / San Diego PD's can't do much since the theft happened in another city. 

Sorry if this comes across as harsh. Not a personal attack. Truly this is the way it works in the PD world. Not enough resources to go after everything.

6 minutes ago, matt86m said:

The harsh reality is she rented them and then reported them stolen. Nothing illegal so far.

No jurisdiction is going to drop everything to go find the stolen items. It just won't happen.

As said before, they have been entered into a nationwide system and if the numbers are run they will come up stolen.

As far as a guy calling (as you said) drugged, from a blocked number and in another state, what is Fontana PD supposed to do? Lake Havasu PD can't help since there was no location given other than Lake Havasu (if I understand this correctly) 

San Marcos / San Diego PD's can't do much since the theft happened in another city. 

Sorry if this comes across as harsh. Not a personal attack. Truly this is the way it works in the PD world. Not enough resources to go after everything.

Come on I watched CSI last night and from a piece of gum left in a stolen car they figured out who the bad guy was in less than an hour. Finding a couple of Jet Ski's when they know what city to look in wouldn't even take the first 30 minutes of an episode of Law & Order.

12 minutes ago, MWB said:

Come on I watched CSI last night and from a piece of gum left in a stolen car they figured out who the bad guy was in less than an hour. Finding a couple of Jet Ski's when they know what city to look in wouldn't even take the first 30 minutes of an episode of Law & Order.

We’ve had stuff stolen many times in Fontana. And every time the lady comes out to  take the report she reminds us that it’s not a tv show. All the DNA stuff doesn’t work like that in real life. 

3 minutes ago, ROBERT L said:

We’ve had stuff stolen many times in Fontana. And every time the lady comes out to  take the report she reminds us that it’s not a tv show. All the DNA stuff doesn’t work like that in real life. 

You know why DNA doesn't work in Fontana?????????

Everybody is related and has the same DNA

True 

24 minutes ago, ROBERT L said:

True 

it was a ? .... not a true or false ?

7 minutes ago, I'm Sorry said:

it was a ? .... not a true or false ?

Pretty sure he was just stating that the final answer is in fact true!

Ya dumb dumb! :smack:

:cheers:

3 hours ago, matt86m said:

I know Matt,  But the first detective in Riverside took the information and never followed up on anything. She went on vacation for 2 weeks and never entered any of the info into the database.  All of that just happened within the last 36 hours.  These ski's were reported stolen over a month ago!!!   

We may have a break. John downloaded an app that allows him to see blocked numbers. We know have a number and fake name, but a possible location!!  We and the FBI are now working on it.

2 hours ago, MGM/FRP said:

I know Matt,  But the first detective in Riverside took the information and never followed up on anything. She went on vacation for 2 weeks and never entered any of the info into the database.  All of that just happened within the last 36 hours.  These ski's were reported stolen over a month ago!!!   

We may have a break. John downloaded an app that allows him to see blocked numbers. We know have a number and fake name, but a possible location!!  We and the FBI are now working on it.

Good to hear. Crappy that it took that long for the #'s to get entered.Being former LEO I hate hearing that, that used to get done once the report was taken, dispatch was notified (reporting persons signature) and then records would do the entry - at least that was how it worked where I was.

And damn the insurance companies, that's the business they are in, they know the risks!

Best of luck to your friend

10 minutes ago, matt86m said:

Good to hear. Crappy that it took that long for the #'s to get entered.Being former LEO I hate hearing that, that used to get done once the report was taken, dispatch was notified (reporting persons signature) and then records would do the entry - at least that was how it worked where I was.

And damn the insurance companies, that's the business they are in, they know the risks!

Best of luck to your friend

it's all good.  We are having more fun trying to find these idiots. We are getting closer. I think we have a good idea of what the whole scheme was, now it's putting together the pieces.  My only fear is if John finds them before law enforcement!!!

2 minutes ago, MGM/FRP said:

it's all good.  We are having more fun trying to find these idiots. We are getting closer. I think we have a good idea of what the whole scheme was, now it's putting together the pieces.  My only fear is if John finds them before law enforcement!!!

Gee Officer...not sure what happened, but looks like the worst case of suicide I ever seen!

:bag:

I'd think these things are probably down in Mexico... being rented to tourists...

abc

Hope the Meth heads get into a losing shoot out with the LEOs.. but that's just me 

gone,   not recovered.   Fighting with the insurance company and the dealer who sold the whole setup including the insurance.  What a pain in the ass!!