Sign in to follow this  
sinverguenza

Analog Thermostat to Digital

I want to upgrade my analog thermostat for a digital one. I have seen videos on YouTube where they install a toggle switch to control the A/C high and low.

Anyone have recommendations on what brand to use, simple to install and control? 

I am really looking for a thermostat that I don't have to add a toggle switch. 

Also when I bought the new to me 5er owner told me that the ceiling fan didn't work. Well come to find out it does work.  The switch that makes it spin in a different direction was moved so it didn't go one way or the other.

It needs a new pull chain switch.

Can I just go to Home Depot and buy the switch?

Does the ceiling fan have different speeds?

Thanks!

20180711_200134.jpg

Unless you can find one with a 2 speed fan switch or just abandon the low speed  (which is only for the AC) you need the switch. I went with a basic one just like on modmyrv.com and a very small switch next to it. Best mod I made next to adding 110 gallons of water. 

Soory no pic and I sold the trailer.

I've installed over a dozen of those thermostats. AFAIK, there is no thermostat you can buy that already has the switch in it, you have to put it in. I use the Honeywell they sell at Walmart for $15 or $20. I usually mount the switch on the side, it looks factory. I think I still have 10 or more of the switches with the wires attached. Yup, got a big bag of switches.

If you want, I'll get the thermostat at Walmart, install the switch for $5 more and ship it to you for another $5 or whatever it costs. The digital thermostat is a great upgrade, but you need the switch to control the fan speed.

Another great upgrade is installing fans inside and behind the fridge. It cools much faster and works better, especially in the heat. I install clear fans with white LEDs inside the fridge and black fans in the rear. 2 inside blowing on the fins and 2 or 3 outside blowing upwards does wonders!  

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:17 AM, socaldmax said:

I've installed over a dozen of those thermostats. AFAIK, there is no thermostat you can buy that already has the switch in it, you have to put it in. I use the Honeywell they sell at Walmart for $15 or $20. I usually mount the switch on the side, it looks factory. I think I still have 10 or more of the switches with the wires attached. Yup, got a big bag of switches.

If you want, I'll get the thermostat at Walmart, install the switch for $5 more and ship it to you for another $5 or whatever it costs. The digital thermostat is a great upgrade, but you need the switch to control the fan speed.

Another great upgrade is installing fans inside and behind the fridge. It cools much faster and works better, especially in the heat. I install clear fans with white LEDs inside the fridge and black fans in the rear. 2 inside blowing on the fins and 2 or 3 outside blowing upwards does wonders!  

you have any pictures of the fan installs?

No, not right now. The next time I see either of my trailers I'll try to snap a couple of pics. It's just 2 fans on the top shelf blowing on the fins, zip tied to the shelf. The outside fans are screwed into the edge of the top of the rear opening, facing upwards. They're 12v, 120mm computer case fans.

On 7/12/2018 at 6:34 AM, sinverguenza said:

I want to upgrade my analog thermostat for a digital one. I have seen videos on YouTube where they install a toggle switch to control the A/C high and low.

Anyone have recommendations on what brand to use, simple to install and control? 

I am really looking for a thermostat that I don't have to add a toggle switch. 

Also when I bought the new to me 5er owner told me that the ceiling fan didn't work. Well come to find out it does work.  The switch that makes it spin in a different direction was moved so it didn't go one way or the other.

It needs a new pull chain switch.

Can I just go to Home Depot and buy the switch?

Does the ceiling fan have different speeds?

Thanks!

20180711_200134.jpg

I had the same thermostat in my W/W and it took a dump and wanted to replace it with the same type but there was none to be found,I called Dometic and they said they know longer made them and I would have to upgrade to a digital thermostat so I order one direct from them.I am pretty good following directions but who ever originally wired my A/C used the same color wires and it took me awhile to trace out the wiring with the help of a simple meter, all day project.But it works so good and cycles much better then a analog type.

Johnny

3 hours ago, 91761Duramax said:

Found this one on Amazon kinda pricey RV Products Airxcel 8330-3862 T-Stat Wall Digital Heat/Cool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8LFHT3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SV2xCb71NGJNR

Thanks. 

Socaldmax hooked me up with a thermostat and switch. Works perfect.