sandroosten

Tatum Black Widow weak points

I am pulling the car apart to repair a frame issue. the bar that the trailing arms mount to cracked on one side, then it completely broke off on the driver side. I am guessing others have had this problem and I am wondering if there any other areas of the car I should address while I have her apart. She is a 2006 so she has the older style rear shock towers with the three holes so I plan to update that while she is apart. I have noticed some flexing in the bulkhead so I think I might have that beefed up as well. Anything else?  The purpose of this thread is not to bash Tatum, it is just to figure out if there are any areas i should have addressed while it is apart. With the way they guys I dune with drive i am sure anything would break at some point so I consider this "basic maintenance"  If anyone has any pictures of their modification it would be very helpful!

The shock towers are the thing I have seen in the past.

I did the same repair to a 2006 Tatum Spyder . My bigger problem was how the cage was made removable , it was sleeved between the trans mount and the motor mount .  It had broken the bolt and cracked the bell housing . I welded the sleeve and tubes to make them solid and used an inline tube clamp behind the motor mount , no more issues . I also added a tube from the front trans mount up to the tube junction of the mid rail . 

there were several updates made to mine as there were a lot of areas that needed attention.

Bulk Head

Trailing arm connect bar

stress cracking under transmission

shock towers

rear cage mods

mine was taken to twisted alloy for a majority of the work as he was the one who fabricated these cars..

1 hour ago, BRINGENKAOS said:

there were several updates made to mine as there were a lot of areas that needed attention.

Bulk Head

Trailing arm connect bar

stress cracking under transmission

shock towers

rear cage mods

mine was taken to twisted alloy for a majority of the work as he was the one who fabricated these cars..

pics?

6 minutes ago, sandroosten said:

pics?

pretty sure I got some here

on the bards here is a guy named ALEX, goes by HONDO on the boards, definitely get a hold of him, in our group we have 5 or 6 tatumns and he has rebuilt and strengthened all of them.

He knows all about these and is also a Tatumn parts dealer ( I believe) dont hold me to that, but he is your guy for sure

7 hours ago, 2011BFD said:

on the bards here is a guy named ALEX, goes by HONDO on the boards, definitely get a hold of him, in our group we have 5 or 6 tatumns and he has rebuilt and strengthened all of them.

He knows all about these and is also a Tatumn parts dealer ( I believe) dont hold me to that, but he is your guy for sure

When I purchased my Tatum Sand Demon and my Black Widow I dropped them off at Hondo's before I even brought them home.  He's fixed a bunch of them.

hopefully this stay constructive looking to purchase a BW in the near future and knew there was going to be work so giving me some good negotiating info..subscribed...