just2dune

Can am passanger compartment size

I am looking to sell my LS Sandrail and get into a new side-by-side. The question I have is I am A large guy at about 6’5 and 300 pounds. Which one of the side by sides has the most interior room for a guy my size. Thanks

I would say the Can Am.  I’m right at 6’ and I need to slide the seat up a bit to reach the peddles. 

I am 6'0 240 and my X3 is HUGE. I have the max and can sit in the back seat with plenty of leg room. My neighbor is 6'1 and 250ish and rode shotgun with me and was amazed at how much bigger the cockpit on the X3 is versus his RZR

The seating position of the X3 sold me instantly. I am 6'2" 266 with long legs. The seat is at the lower position and all the way back, but there is plenty of room in there. 

Pad the door hinge or you will be packing a nice bruise on yore left knee after a full day riding. But it is far and away the most comfortable sxs I have ever been in. 

OK great these are the kinds of things I wanted to find out about. I just hope I don’t regret going from the Sandrail to the side by side

22 minutes ago, just2dune said:

OK great these are the kinds of things I wanted to find out about. I just hope I don’t regret going from the Sandrail to the side by side

I have never had a 'real' sandrail, so I don't know, but the X3 puts a smile on my face. And you take it home, hose it off, put it away and it is ready for next weekend.

33 minutes ago, just2dune said:

What kind of a sandrail do you have now?  You said LS powered I think you will have at least a little disappointment going to a sxs. 

I had a King Sand Car sold it and bought a XP900 the first trip to Glamis I was so disappointed that I was ready to give it away that weekend. I later learned to at least like it. It was great for the hard pack we had a lot of fun in that. 

Sold the XP900 and bought a X3 2 seater drove it in Barstow it was fun it performed very good and the wife liked the ride. Finally got to take it to Glamis for the Golf Tournament and got to run the dunes with some fast big cars it held its own. They were actually impressed that I was able to keep up with the stock tires on. 

I was so impressed with the car and the fun factor I couldn’t stop smiling all weekend. 

6'-4'' YXZ had lots of room

if u just do sand keep ur rail

I have a Sandcars unlimited little bro. Part of the reason of wanting to go to the side by side is to be able to also use it in the mountains so that is one thing the family wanted. I forgot to tell you I need four seats so that’s why The canam I am looks so good

Ok honest opinion. I have ridden in 100k plus rails and my X3 is no where near that kind of experience. There is something about the torque of a big V8 pushing your balls into your stomach that just CANNOT be replaced. That being said my X3 makes me smile and giggle like a school girl much the same way those big sand cars did. The fun factor is ridiculous and my girls aren't scared of it at all. They are younger and I think that if I had a big V8 rumbling behind them it would be too much, however that turbo 900 is perfect. I have scared myself a bit looked back and asked if they were OK only to have my 8 year old look me dead in the eye and ask if it can go faster. We are planning our first dune trip in November and I cant wait to see what this will do out in Glamis.

Went from this to this:

Wouldn't have it any other way, smiles per mile are way higher. Cost down, downtime down, working on it down, driving and having fun way up.

I've had things bend on the X3, but that is expected for what I put it through (then that part gets upgraded), but nothing that has left me on the side of the trail...

ETA: tons more room in the X3 vs the RZR, we have Corbeaus in it and im 6'0 230 and have the slider probably in the middle position, I have buddies 6'3 ride passenger and they fit. Only one doesn't and its not the legs, it's my short cage with a race helmet, he's a tad close. But stock cage and other aftermarket cages are way taller.

13satDSC_0350.jpg

KOTD 2018.jpg

Edited by DTA

Best bet is to go to a dealer that sells them all and sit in them.  Some of my tall friends have their knees hit in the X3 and others do not.  Same for the RZR, Wildcat XX and YXZ.  

I belive the Can Am X3 has the largest interior of the SXSs out there.  I fit fine in my X3, but I ain't not giant. 

Thanks everyone for all your replies. I went to right now in Chandler today and looked at the different side by sides. I really liked the Can am X3.A lot more than I thought I was going to. I think I might be ready to sell the rail to get one of these

3 hours ago, just2dune said:

Thanks everyone for all your replies. I went to right now in Chandler today and looked at the different side by sides. I really liked the Can am X3.A lot more than I thought I was going to. I think I might be ready to sell the rail to get one of these

Glad you’re u liked it. They won’t replace a rail but damn they are fun. 

I have to agree with everything that everyone has said here...I believe the X3 is the way to go for you also...I personally have had many LT sandrails from VW's to subies to V8 cars and yes the sxs doesnt give the same thrill in the dunes as the Buggy..With that Being said I use my SXS far more than I ever used my Buggies...I take them to Glamis I got to the Mountains go to the desert and from Sand to snow and everything in between it has been alot of Fun..Too me I see SXS of every make and model every weekend as I live in the desert and I have a long commute up and down the freeway and it makes me smile everytime because its people going out and enjoying life with their family and that is what life is all about

Father in law is 6'4", fits no problem even with the seat in the upper position.

On 8/4/2018 at 3:42 PM, just2dune said:

If you end up with a X3 get the model with the Smart Lok.   It allows you to have a locked front diff and a better 4wd system then what is on the non-smart lok models.  Also the power steering unit is much better in the Smart Lok models, more powerful.  2018 models with Smart Lok are the 72" wide black and red and blue RC model.  For 2019 all RS and DS models come with the Smart Lok.

I personally think you will get a smiliar thrill in the dunes with the X3.  We often hits speed in excess of 70 mph in the bigger dunes.  Plus with a SXS you can venture into other areas of the dunes you may have not been confortable going to in a rail.   

What is the main difference between the DS and RS models for the 2019 model. The one that we looked at that I liked was the 2018 RS

6 minutes ago, just2dune said:

What is the main difference between the DS and RS models for the 2019 model. The one that we looked at that I liked was the 2018 RS

The DS model is 64" wide and comes in a 120hp turbo model and a 172hp turbo model.   

The RS model is 72" wide and 172hp turbo motor.  The RS as a little more supsension travel 22F/24R and on the four seat Max model it is 22" of rear travel.  

Does anybody have any info on the 8 inches width difference between the DS and Rs models as far as using it up in the mountains on forest roads and stuff. Is the RS model going to be too wide for anything like that

Havent had a problem with mine on the forest roads at all. AZ is unique in that most of the roads and trails are run but full size jeeps and vehicles so the RS does just fine. I am sure there are some smaller quad trails I have not run but so far so good.

I don't foresee any issues running the 72" wide RS on any of the trails in AZ.  Several people I know with the 72" wide models go on all sorts of trails in AZ.    

17 hours ago, just2dune said:

Does anybody have any info on the 8 inches width difference between the DS and Rs models as far as using it up in the mountains on forest roads and stuff. Is the RS model going to be too wide for anything like that

Narrower than a Jeep.  Only bummer is you aren't as flexible with rock crawling lines with the wider model.

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Narrower than a Jeep.  Only bummer is you aren't as flexible with rock crawling lines with the wider model.

Sometimes you just have to go over a few rocks that you might be able to squeeze through with a 64" model.  But most people go with a wider offset after market wheel on the 64" models and you are probably 68" wide. So you wont be squeezing through stuff.   I run a 32" tire on a 5+2 off set wheel on my RS and am 74" or more wide.  Have not had any issues on the limited amount of trail/rock riding I have done.   The bigger tires rollover stuff pretty easily.  I do disconnect the front sway bar to allow the car to articulate more when I do that type of riding.  

53 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

Sometimes you just have to go over a few rocks that you might be able to squeeze through with a 64" model.  But most people go with a wider offset after market wheel on the 64" models and you are probably 68" wide. So you wont be squeezing through stuff.   I run a 32" tire on a 5+2 off set wheel on my RS and am 74" or more wide.  Have not had any issues on the limited amount of trail/rock riding I have done.   The bigger tires rollover stuff pretty easily.  I do disconnect the front sway bar to allow the car to articulate more when I do that type of riding.  

Word.  I've seen them on the trail and the light weight really helps as you can just wappa wappa up shit that I'll just break something or flop if I try that.  

At 74"+ you're basically Jeep width, so the smaller tire may hinder a little, but the lack of overhang front/rear and tires nearly 100% outside the bodywork is a definite boon.