Bobalos

Paddle Tire Tech (#x Cut)

I see a bunch where folks are talking about #1 Cut or #2 Cut, etc on their tires.  I looked in the "best of the best" forum for an FAQ & figured I would find something like this there.  did I miss it?  

What does this mean exactly?  

Does every manufacturer go by the same definition?

is there a general rule of thumb on one VS the other? (More bite, less bite, floats better, etc)

thanks

Bob

Could possibly be the best question asked this summer.........

Cut refers to the height of the paddle. #1 is smaller than #2. ! will have less bite than 2. You want to buy based on your car/trans/motor. 

Not enough paddle = less traction

Too much = bogs down the motor, more stress on trans/axles/cvs

For the most part

So it does not have anything to do with the number of paddles cut off of the tire?  some have every other one cut off & some have 2 out of 3 cut off & some dont have any cut off................

is the height of the paddles standard from mfg to mfg?

how tall is a #1 & a #2?

I guess I never looked very close, but it does not appear that anything was cut off of the top of the paddle on my tires.  I guess I have to look harder.......

thanks

Bob

Depends on the brand tire.

STU does the same thing every time.

Like a 33X15 Blaster, when they are made, they are made with both #1 and #2 paddles on the carcass.

That would be a dumb manufacturing move not to do that.

Depending on what the customer orders, a certain paddle is cut off.

If you order #1, then all of the #2 paddles are cut off.

Vice Versa for the other way.

Not sure what other brands do, but it has to be similar.

Nothing is cut off the "top" of the paddle.

1 hour ago, lincster said:

Depends on the brand tire.

STU does the same thing every time.

Like a 33X15 Blaster, when they are made, they are made with both #1 and #2 paddles on the carcass.

That would be a dumb manufacturing move not to do that.

Depending on what the customer orders, a certain paddle is cut off.

If you order #1, then all of the #2 paddles are cut off.

Vice Versa for the other way.

Not sure what other brands do, but it has to be similar.

Nothing is cut off the "top" of the paddle.

That makes complete sense.  well........ kind of, the tire I have on my buggy right now has 2 out of 3 cut off, which makes me wonder if they offer a #1, #2 & #3.  

In any case, thanks that makes it more clear.  thanks for the info.

How can you tell by looking @ a tire which one it is.  Is it cast into the tire so you can just look @ it & see a #1 or #2?  

It will be cast into the paddle like this... Sand Blaster II That means #2 cut.  

20180117_190230.jpg

1 hour ago, Bobalos said:

That makes complete sense.  well........ kind of, the tire I have on my buggy right now has 2 out of 3 cut off, which makes me wonder if they offer a #1, #2 & #3.  

In any case, thanks that makes it more clear.  thanks for the info.

How can you tell by looking @ a tire which one it is.  Is it cast into the tire so you can just look @ it & see a #1 or #2?  

The older STU tires did come with 3 different paddles. I believe they did away with the smallest of the paddles and just called the remaining ones #1 and #2. When I bought my first set in 1976 I had #2 of 3 paddles left on. 

I've had the same  14.50 Tire with #1 and #2 cups and it's totally different the way the car starts from a stop. Some tires have 18 cups some have 12, some like that scat- trac only have 8-10 cups idk how the distance between paddles effects traction?

Thanks folks this makes much more sense.  

I just checked mine and they are Xtreme tire, 35x15's.  They don't have anything on the back of the paddles.  I'm not sure how old they are (I just bought the buggy).... 

Thanks again.

Bob

#1 cup usually 1-3/8" tall or less

#2 cup usually 1-9/16 tall or less

#3??? $$$$$ and horse power or less tire

The height of the paddles is not standard from each mfg. 

On your Extreme there may be 'competition' (if I remember right) or something else on the side wall of the tire.

Fullerton Sand Tire does sell a 'comp cut' but that refers to the space in between the paddles, they shave more rubber off to make the tire lighter.

Post up a pic of your tires and it will give us a better look at what you have. Maybe some close ups of any 'writing' on them

On 8/10/2018 at 3:34 PM, dvs1 said:

It will be cast into the paddle like this... Sand Blaster II That means #2 cut.  

20180117_190230.jpg

Not all tires are cast like that.

15" Blasters are not.

I have a brand new set in my garage.

On 8/10/2018 at 4:24 PM, 2turbofords said:

idk how the distance between paddles effects traction?

The distance between paddles equals flotation. Fewer paddles means more float and somewhat less traction, there is a balance. 

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:14 PM, lincster said:

Not all tires are cast like that.

15" Blasters are not.

I have a brand new set in my garage.

I agree. I have had the 1, 2 and now PRO 2. The #1 and #2 are cast in the back of the paddle in roman numerals  I  think..  The " pro 2 " which is the more taller and aggressive paddle for 15" tires says " SANDBLASTER II" like the pic but also says pro 2 on the side wall.  I don't remember if my # 1 had any markings 10 years ago. 

Edited by sandhammerer

I’m curious what they use to cut the paddles off. Anyone have the link to to the tool that STU uses? Got to be some kind of huge hot knife right? That’s a lot of rubber to cut on every tire. I’d like to experiment on my old ones before I buy the next ones....

On 8/16/2018 at 8:33 PM, Dave04 said:

I’m curious what they use to cut the paddles off. Anyone have the link to to the tool that STU uses? Got to be some kind of huge hot knife right? That’s a lot of rubber to cut on every tire. I’d like to experiment on my old ones before I buy the next ones....

The tire turns slowly in front of a heater element. Once its hot enough they use a hot knife. 

See if this link works

Edited by matt86m

Very cool.  Id love to see a video of him cutting the paddles off.  

thanks

Bob

Cool vid. That’s got to be a tough job to do everyday with all that heat.... 

thanks for the link.

I heard when they mold them they have both #1 and #2 paddle on each tire. They just cut all of the #1's  or the  all the #2 off. :) 

19 hours ago, SANDRUNNER said:

I heard when they mold them they have both #1 and #2 paddle on each tire. They just cut all of the #1's  or the  all the #2 off. :) 

That is what I said earlier in this thread.

Identifying what you have, don't know if this helps or not. My tires are 13.50 extremes number 2 cut. When I got them the number 2 was written on the paddles with a white grease pen, every paddle. Looking at them I noticed that to the right of the paddle, the base of the cut off paddle was narrower, the one to the right. i I assumed it was number 1 and the cut paddle to the  left was number 3 as it appeared wider.  I know that this tire was offered with a 1,2, or 3 cut. Tried to get picture but not great. Of course this only works if you have 2 different cuts to look at. If your tire is every other paddle then nothing to compare it to.

IMG_1315.JPG

Edited by Richard H

Last trip a big chunk of one of my paddles flew off of the tire so Im looking into new tires. 

being as this Xtreme tire does not say #1 or #2 I went out to measure the actual depth of the paddle to get an idea of how deep they were & saw something I did not before.............  I had mentioned that I had every other one cut off & that I figured this tire had 3 different cuts........... well it does not.  someone did cut every other one off, but essentially they turned it into a #1.5 cut.........   

I have one that is 1.0" then the next is 1.25, then 1.0, then 1.25, etc.....  I didnt notice until I actually measured them & then the writting on the tire made sense.........  the ones that says "sportsman" are 1.0" tall & the ones that say "Competitor" are 1.25" tall. 

So now the question......  If I want more bite, but dont want to sarifice float, do I go with the taller cut knowing that Im going to get more paddles on the tire on top of taller ones? FWIW.... I like running higher tire pressures, I enjoy the way the buggy slides around.... 

Bob

Xtreme Rear paddle, Feb 19.jpg

More bite means less float.  

That being said, if you've got the power to spin them, you should still be able to slide the more aggressive paddles.

Got a pic of the paddle?  Chances are you probably won't notice a thing...