DJDTPR

Opinions on best Cv joints?

I just purchased a new to me car and I was going to clean and regress the old Cv joints but am considering new ones and keep the old ones as spares. It’s got KarTec race prepped 930’s in it now. It’s an ls1 with 2d trans just wanting everyone’s opinion on best Cv for this setup. 

Thanks

I was going through CV pretty regularly, in less than a season. Bought some RCV's they are a lot better, I have 2 seasons on the same set now

X2 on jjoseph99 

I have RCVs too and have been very happy. You can tell the difference in quality when you take them out of the box. 

Jason Alper can sell you just new stars and cages 300 M

11 hours ago, Squatcher said:

Jason Alper can sell you just new stars and cages 300 M

X2 for Jason's CV's and you will want to get zerk prepped 

its very hard to beat the warranty on RCV's. I had one explode last year, RCV and Jason took care of me very well and Jason is awesome to work with. 

I'm looking at grabbing some after having a CV star break up.

What’s the price on a race prep polished RCV 930 with 300m star and 300m cage ?

Im currently running a Kartek 930 same as above 

I sent a message to Jason to see.

I wouldnt touch an RCV with a 10' pole...

My dad has went through 3 complete sets on his car. He's got the best of the best from them and keeps pre-maturally wearing them out. RCV has been great to work with in regards to it but he's fed up with replacing CV's 2 times per season...

1 hour ago, CMBAMF said:

My dad has went through 3 complete sets on his car. He's got the best of the best from them and keeps pre-maturally wearing them out. RCV has been great to work with in regards to it but he's fed up with replacing CV's 2 times per season...

How much power is he putting to them? All angles are good they aren’t getting to much angle at drop out?

1 hour ago, DJDTPR said:

How much power is he putting to them? All angles are good they aren’t getting to much angle at drop out?

Started with 26 degrees when he first had issues. We've got them strapped at 23 degrees now... 650HP to the wheels.

12 minutes ago, CMBAMF said:

Started with 26 degrees when he first had issues. We've got them strapped at 23 degrees now... 650HP to the wheels.

Ok awesome. He’s definitely making more power than I am. Lol

44 minutes ago, CMBAMF said:

Is that through a 930?  

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

Is that through a 930?  

Yes. Went through two sets last season with this engine. Two seasons ago he had a 6.0 LQ4 with much less HP and went through one set. 

When the CV’s we’re brand new, they would start clicking and chattering really bad right off the trailer.

The stars were literally coming apart. They would be extremely pitted and worn after inspection. Cage would look almost bent and wollered out. We sent back every set to RCV for inspection and they can’t find anything wrong with them.... 

Edited by CMBAMF

57 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

Is that through a 930?  

That’s what I was wondering. I was easy on my trans and axles with my old car that only had 300 hp out of a 3.5 Honda. I was a little nervous about the torque that the ls is gonna make but I’ll just run more air pressure in the paddles and be easy on it. 

10 minutes ago, CMBAMF said:

Yes. Went through two sets last season with this engine. Two seasons ago he had a 6.0 LQ4 with much less HP and went through one set. 

When the CV’s we’re brand new, they would start clicking and chattering really bad right off the trailer.

The stars were literally coming apart. They would be extremely pitted and worn after inspection. Cage would look almost bent and wollered out. We sent back every set to RCV for inspection and they can’t find anything wrong with them.... 

WOW 650hp to the tires is asking a lot out of any 930. Sounds more like a case of over building the motor for the drive train then a defective part. I bet if you dropped a stock LS1 into the car the CV's would last a few seasons. I think even then it's border line reliable. With that kind of power and enjoying it (why else would you build it) an S4 with 934's are what is really needed.

5 hours ago, CMBAMF said:

Inner and outers?

5 hours ago, CMBAMF said:

I wonder if ANY 930 CV would hold up to that kind of power.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

WOW 650hp to the tires is asking a lot out of any 930. Sounds more like a case of over building the motor for the drive train then a defective part. I bet if you dropped a stock LS1 into the car the CV's would last a few seasons. I think even then it's border line reliable. With that kind of power and enjoying it (why else would you build it) an S4 with 934's are what is really needed.

I would agree with the above.. I think you are way over expecting from a 930.. Pushing that kind of HP and TQU.  with a LS V8 and 650HP is 934 territory. The fact you didn't explode their 930's with that combo, just proves their 930 is pretty dam tough.. I don't think there is a CV available today, which is superior to RCV. And as has been stated,  Jason is great to work with, and yees, have him do the zerk mod.

Edited by SCHMIDTY

1 hour ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I agree with it being to much for a 930. As stated previously, my dad ran a stock 6.0 LQ4 for one season with brand new RCV’s and still had issues after the first trip. Loud clicking constantly and had to have all four replaced after two trips. He’s on his fourth set now and still having issues. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, r3meyer said:

Inner and outers?

Inners have blown apart a few times. All look extremely worn when we tear it apart and send them back. Dad runs RCV’s high dollar grease as well.

Edited by CMBAMF

1 hour ago, SCHMIDTY said:

I would agree with the above.. I think you are way over expecting from a 930.. Pushing that kind of HP and TQU.  with a LS V8 and 650HP is 934 territory. The fact you didn't explode their 930's with that combo, just proves their 930 is pretty dam tough.. I don't think there is a CV available today, which is superior to RCV. And as has been stated,  Jason is great to work with, and yees, have him do the zerk mod.

No doubt about Jason and his customer service. He’s been in the loop with all these issues the entire time. RCV has been great as well, just getting tired of replacing all four CV’s twice a year if not more. 

6 hours ago, CMBAMF said:

A bit of a bold and unfair statement. That's like saying Mendeola makes garbage transaxles because you keep breaking your Ebox behind that 650rwhp. If you use parts that are not rated for the abuse you are putting to them they will break regardless of who makes them.

3 minutes ago, punkur67 said:

A bit of a bold and unfair statement. That's like saying Mendeola makes garbage transaxles because you keep breaking your Ebox behind that 650rwhp. If you use parts that are not rated for the abuse you are putting to them they will break regardless of who makes them.

Mendeola does make over priced garbage transaxles regardless of HP......

If you took a second to read further, you’ll see that the issue initially started with a stock 6.0 LQ4 going through a  brand new set of RCV’s after the first two trips. The CV’s never didn’t click!

Their clame to fame is that they’re the strongest and have a lifetime warranty. The warranty has been great, we’ve never grenaded one, they just wear out! 

I know many other people with the same issues. Pre-mature wear, failure, clicking, etc. Just my $0.02 when someone asks for an opinion.

Their reputation is slowly dwindling in the Ultra4 world of things.

http://utvunderground.com/forum/index.php?threads/real-world-experience-of-rcv-axle-shafts-vs-others-sbr.20560/