EMPIRE231

Some updates to my BFD

4 hours ago, fullthrottleguy said:

You are adjusting the Bypasses  - Non  Funco (bagged cars) don't work that way

You lost me.  The bags replace the coilovers.  The bypasses work the same on bagged or C/O cars.  

Hoping for more updates soon... things got behind due to sand show, etc.  Also, I'm leaning towards adding the 3D side panels to the project now... 

so far just have a general idea of what the new rear cage will look like.

Resized_20180918_174220.thumb.jpeg.c29e4cc09d74a350abdbef8527abbbea.jpeg

2 hours ago, EMPIRE231 said:

Hoping for more updates soon... things got behind due to sand show, etc.  Also, I'm leaning towards adding the 3D side panels to the project now... 

looks good man

22 hours ago, CHIZZLE said:

You lost me.  The bags replace the coilovers.  The bypasses work the same on bagged or C/O cars.  

Yes - not to Hijack the thread - buts it because this car has those great shocks I figures it makes sense to clarify at least my opinion on this. On CO cars to get better and more fine control on the Compression and rebound in various stages of travel. People use Bypass shocks in conjunction with standard "valved coilovers and in some cases just coil carriers with no valving and let the bypasses do all the work. The problem with this setup  has been packaging and weight. 

Two shocks per wheel take a lot of room and they increaser the sprung weigh of the car making control harder and its just harder on parts.  Coilovers and Bypasses are heavy and pretty hard to tune. but they work great when tuned.

The Internal Bypass shock, and, in his case the 5-way eliminates the Bypass shock and gives you medium and fine control externally- actually with greater range externally  than the fine control on standard bypass shocks because you are adjusting the valving to some extent

The Funco - like the awesome GTF in this picture has an air spring that replaces the coil over (its lighter and more externally adjustable) and uses a Bypass shock for all valving . Those air springs (bags) are light and virtually indestructible. But the science to make them work right has alluded many builders and CO's are just easier I guess. 

Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 5.59.15 PM.png

Edited by fullthrottleguy

8 hours ago, EMPIRE231 said:

Who are you looking at to do the 3D panels?  

2 hours ago, fullthrottleguy said:

Who are you looking at to do the 3D panels?  

Would have BFD do them as well

Got some updates over the weekend... Rear cage is all tacked up, and mocking up some aluminum ideas...

IMG_5289.thumb.JPG.0cc3558663161e77561555b0f35694e1.JPG

IMG_5288.thumb.JPG.8523e2d5b55ca53636f2f5178fb62455.JPG

Any updates?

14 hours ago, Rixjohnson said:

Any updates?

Nothing too exciting yet.  Firewall panels have been made, and roof is almost there... this pic is just fitment before they finish it up.  and they have started on the exhaust.  Still on the list is 3D side panels.  They are definitely busy and behind schedule unfortunately. 

Resized_20181004_155738.thumb.jpeg.02e3b5a9f0a568edaefd3afd54bf553b.jpeg

Any updates? 

12 hours ago, Rixjohnson said:

Any updates? 

Progress has been very slow. They are behind schedule.  I did get this update picture of the side panel yesterday.... I like the overall design... but I Am not sure what to think about the seam going down the B-pillar. He said that is the way they will be doing panels now, due to it being stronger and easier to remove panels. He said they have seen 3D panels develop cracks in those areas??

E6F1E8FF-2711-410F-98C7-5022FDC21BB8.jpeg.bf49190cf8d6622d745ff84677fc744e.jpeg

Unless he makes that a door Id say no way to the seam. Going to look incredible either way, now it means I have to do more with mine. ?

1 hour ago, EMPIRE231 said:

Progress has been very slow. They are behind schedule.  I did get this update picture of the side panel yesterday.... I like the overall design... but I Am not sure what to think about the seam going down the B-pillar. He said that is the way they will be doing panels now, due to it being stronger and easier to remove panels. He said they have seen 3D panels develop cracks in those areas??

Fixed, No seam.... :dbart:

:bigrin

BFD-No Seam.jpg

4 minutes ago, dbart said:

BFD-No Seam.jpg

You should go into Metal work, I hear this is a lot of money in it and people are behind :)

1 hour ago, EMPIRE231 said:

Ever regular car in the world has a seam there and it looks normal, so much so I don't think it would even occur to most people that there is a seam there. 

Cool project!

1 hour ago, 2011BFD said:

Unless he makes that a door Id say no way to the seam. Going to look incredible either way, now it means I have to do more with mine. ?

1 hour ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

Ever regular car in the world has a seam there and it looks normal, so much so I don't think it would even occur to most people that there is a seam there. 

Cool project!

This is the dilemma I'm in.  we are already way behind schedule, where I would most likely miss more trips if I were to say NO WAY... fix it.

I'm trying to debate with myself on if I can live with it, or if it even really looks bad or not?  I was expecting the standard seam at the A & C pillar.... not at the B.  the only benefit I see is the ease of removing and installing panels, which would be great If I was a race team.... but I just plan on having everything powdered and installed and leave it alone.

so far there is a -1 and a +1 consensus on here 

1 hour ago, dbart said:

BFD-No Seam.jpg

haha wish it was that easy 

You've already brought it up so you know its in your mind.  I think it will bother you every time you look at it and say "what if it didn't have that seam?"   I say no seam like 99% of all the other sand cars.   It does look good otherwise though!

People did not like radiused roofs in the past so if seams are going to be used more on new cars then thats what I would go with. It just looks brand new and modern. Yep...Keep the seam . It rocks!

when looking at it your eye does not stop there.  I DESPISE taking my huge side panels off.  Would love something like this.  

Thanks for the feedback guys!  I am starting to be accepting of it, and it's growing on me.  I'm just hoping the rest of the car ties together nicely! Supposed to be ready for pickup this Saturday... That gives me less than a week and a half, to get everything powdercoated, vinyl lined, replace the rest of my fuel lines, install the shift indicator and change oil + misc stuff before our annual thanksgiving dumont trip :blink:

IMG_5341.thumb.JPG.d5add48203ee5aa40944e5fb1e9880e9.JPG

Edited by EMPIRE231

still some fit & finish / trimming to be done in this area...

Resized952018110795213926.thumb.jpg.91c60bfa39c517e4e4f5910e12cf41d8.jpg

all panels are @ powdercoat right now.

crunch time to get it all back together this weekend for our thanksgiving trip

Your car looks awesome in person, i came over to talk to you at the North Pole. Hope the rest of your weekend went Great

Rick10

5 hours ago, rick10 said:

Your car looks awesome in person, i came over to talk to you at the North Pole. Hope the rest of your weekend went Great

Rick10

Thanks buddy! Nice meeting you. Rest of the weekend was great. I hope yours ended on the same note.