just2dune

Can am X3 in the dunes

I just bought a CanAm maverick X.3 XRS four seater with smart lock. This is my first side by side and I had a few dune questions. What do most people do in the dunes as far as 2 wheel drive versus 4 wheel drive. Are most people running around Driving mostly in 2 high . Let me know what  you prefer in the dunes. Thanks. Here is a picture of it right after we bought it home.

D1F334E9-1C76-4257-B89D-02F125F7221E.jpeg

Ohhh la laaaa! 

CONGRATS! Sure is purdy!

Congrats...

Congrats!!!!

some will say 2wd and some will say 4wd

u going to run stock tires ?

2 with paddles 4wd with the big horns 

4 wheel drive seamed to work best for me last season. Keeps from pushing so much.

2 wheel if you like sliding the ass end around and drifting a bit, 4wheel if you like more of a on rails feeling. Just an FYI low gear is very low in these cars. I have only used it for trailer loading and some very steep and rocky trail riding. 

Congrats again, it’s a great looking car...I am a little biased though 

I got a set of scat Trak paddles to use at the dunes but I am not sold on using the paddles for sure. Thanks for any input.

It’s like the Batmobil!,cool ride....

4wd all the time ?

4wd is what I do all the time ....My buddy ran the scats on his X3 with buffs in the front and still used 4wd... BTW congrats on the New toy

I am running 31 STU Tributes and Blackbirds and stay in 4wd all the time the dunes! They are a lot  of fun in the sand  enjoy and congrats !!

I have only taken my RZR 2017 TURBO for like 3 trips and most of the time I run it in 2wd. Just feels better for me. But 4wd seems to grip more. 

Tributes/Blackbirds for me as well. That's a 4wd combo.

Congrats on the ride.

You will figure it out based on your driving style, dune patterns and what "feels" to make you and the car happy.

I would use 4wd to get outa camp or when stopped, so it doesn't bog or dig. Then once moving and floating good switch to 2wd and rail it out till the sand/hill called for 4wd to keep the momentum up.

I run in 4wd all the time in G.  Seems to push less through the tight turns when I'm following tight and fast quad lines led by the AARP maniacs, lol.

I have a 17 XRS and run 30" Scat 9 paddle in the rear w/ 30" Scat buffs on the front.

Edited by Yarder

Congratulations and it will do fine just remember to keep the speed up and dont park on an up hill or the bottom of a bowl. Have fun and stop by any time for a cool drink. 

35 minutes ago, DuneTrack-N said:

I would use 4wd to get outa camp or when stopped, so it doesn't bog or dig. Then once moving and floating good switch to 2wd and rail it out till the sand/hill called for 4wd to keep the momentum up.

FWIW, you're not supposed to switch between 2wd & 4wd while moving in the X3.  At least that's what the warning sticker on mine says.

4WD.  Even with paddles, you get way better forward bite.  They're very well balanced F/R compared to a buggy, so you need all 4 grabbing to make the most of it.  

49 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

4WD.  Even with paddles, you get way better forward bite.  They're very well balanced F/R compared to a buggy, so you need all 4 grabbing to make the most of it.  

When you rolled your X3 Uphill :blink:   (Read about this on the interwebz)  . . . were you in 4 or 2 wheel drive? Stock or smoothies up front, was avoidable mistake or inevitable?

While my example below is Apple Pie to an over ripe apple...same basic laws of physics apply.

My Rhino wants to pitch the ass end diagonally over my head at any speed above 20mph in the sand when I turn the wheel. 4 wheel drive helps when I am running the AT tires (Still have to try my huge floaty smoothies out, dune clutch not installed yet) to keep the front wheels from catching a bad edge.

3 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

When you rolled your X3 Uphill :blink:   (Read about this on the interwebz)  . . . were you in 4 or 2 wheel drive? Stock or smoothies up front, was avoidable mistake or inevitable?

While my example below is Apple Pie to an over ripe apple...same basic laws of physics apply.

My Rhino wants to pitch the ass end diagonally over my head at any speed above 20mph in the sand when I turn the wheel. 4 wheel drive helps when I am running the AT tires (Still have to try my huge floaty smoothies out, dune clutch not installed yet) to keep the front wheels from catching a bad edge.

Did you back off the throttle? I hear the ass end comes around when you back off the gas.. 

5 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

LOL.  4WD.  Did the top of the dune flick on the power I always do in my buggy, kinda like this:

atv-26539892.jpg

Higher CG, super soft sand, 4WD and narrower track said NEIN!

So yeah.  If you're in 4WD, don't try that.  In fact, I wouldn't try drifting at all in 4WD. :bigrin 

Edited by Rockwood

2 minutes ago, WLD-OTZ said:

Did you back off the throttle? I hear the ass end comes around when you back off the gas.. 

Hell nah, gas peddle is mashed pretty much all the time   :lol: ...sometimes we hit 30MPH!

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

LOL.  4WD.  Did the top of the dune flick on the power I always do in my buggy, kinda like this:

atv-26539892.jpg

Higher CG, super soft sand, 4WD and narrower track said NEIN!

So yeah.  If you're in 4WD, don't try that.  

D'oh!

I do love the low, wide planted feel of a Sand Car in the dunes...nothing compares, as you learned :poke: