AZDooner

Help with turbo on Honda 3.5

I am looking to bump my hp's in my Buggy Works. I have a Honda 3.5 J35-A4 with an AEM Series 2 computer.  Any advice i can get on type of turbo, headers, plumbing, intake, would be appreciated. Ive done a bunch of searches on here and found a ton. Hoping to avoid costly mistakes and in the end, trying to go from 270 rwhp to 350 rwhp.

2018-09-10 09.01.47.jpg

I'm wondering if it would be cheaper to sell that motor and do an LS swap ??

32 minutes ago, hondajimz said:

I'm wondering if it would be cheaper to sell that motor and do an LS swap ??

Definitely wouldn’t. And you’d end up with less power. 

Since you already have the computer there are a few parts to get. 

Rc650 fuel injectors

gt35 turbo or something that flows equivalent. 

Tial wastegate

Tial blow off valve

exhaust and plumbing  

then a tune

Should end up around less than 3k. By the time you get adapter plate, flywheel, computer and harness, motor, etc...  The ls would be 5k plus. 

My buddy just did an ls1 for about 3k. I think i would rather have a turbo. Always wanted a turbo something.

Are the injectors necessary from the start or can i upgrade down the road? Im shooting for 350 hp. Also, any suggestions about a turbo header ? Id like to mount the turbo at the back of the car. Lots of room there.

no way LS swap would be cheaper... it will have way more bottom end power though.

you already have an aftermarket computer, so you are a step ahead.  My old car had a stock J35A4, stock computer, turbo @ 6lbs boost and just ran race gas... very reliable and fun power.  With that computer, you might be able to run more boost... and maybe go with an E-85 setup.

2 minutes ago, AZDooner said:

Are the injectors necessary from the start or can i upgrade down the road? Im shooting for 350 hp. Also, any suggestions about a turbo header ? Id like to mount the turbo at the back of the car. Lots of room there.

Injectors are a must. More fuel for more power. There is a guy here on the board who builds headers for a good price. He can put the flange wherever you want. 

How does the AEM boost cotroll work with the turbo system?

4 minutes ago, AZDooner said:

Your computer does not control boost. It will however read boost pressure off of the map sensor. You just want an 8lb spring in your wastegate. That will hit your H.P. goal. 

Thanks. That clears a bunch up. Bosch 44 fuel pump?

1 minute ago, AZDooner said:

Thanks. That clears a bunch up. Bosch 44 fuel pump?

If you have one now then yes. If not I like the Aem 380 pump. It’s cheaper and lots of people have good results. 

1 hour ago, EMPIRE231 said:

no way LS swap would be cheaper... it will have way more bottom end power though.

you already have an aftermarket computer, so you are a step ahead.  My old car had a stock J35A4, stock computer, turbo @ 6lbs boost and just ran race gas... very reliable and fun power.  With that computer, you might be able to run more boost... and maybe go with an E-85 setup.

No E85 in Phoenix.

1 hour ago, AZDooner said:

You get an electronic boost control valve and your tuner will set it up in the AEM.  It will help lag, overboost,  etc.

Some ECU's have better boost control than others (ie, boost per gear, speed, rpm)

If 350whp is truly your goal (things change once you can dial up more power with a turn of a knob), a GT35R with a 0.63 A/R will be more than enough to support 350whp.  If you think you'll want more power, 0.82A/R would be the way to go to keep detonation in check (the 0.63 will start backing up much beyond 375whp).  

If you want more torque can keep exhaust flow divided (including separate wastegates), a twin scroll will be worth a bunch of power under the curve.  0.82 housing would be the likely choice here.

juggernaut here on the boards builds some nice headers.Hes in san bernardino company is hothead headers.

Any suggestions for intercoolers?

Nice writeup here:

https://www.mishimoto.com/engineering/2015/04/drop-intake-temperatures-drop-track-times-drop-mouths-the-ultimate-guide-for-intercooler-selection/

Sizing is towards the end.  Keep in mind that if you mount at an angle, proper ducting is required for the sizing chart to be accurate.  

Edited by Rockwood

Water/meth injection if you don't want another "radiator"

.I had mine setup for when intake temps were 140, IIRC.  

1 hour ago, Legit Duner said:

Water/meth injection if you don't want another "radiator"

.I had mine setup for when intake temps were 140, IIRC.  

Works well, only bummer is you have to have to make sure the tank is full.  

Either way you go, make sure you do it before you tune.  Hondas are MAP sensor only, so if you build, tune, then make a change, the motor will probably be lean.  

Theres a lot more to an intercooler than i would have figured. Anybody have a suggestion on an over the counter purchase of an air to air cooler? Size suggestions for a 3.5 honda making 350 hp sounds like it would be 6"x6" or equivalent to 36 in sqared surface area.

Will all upgrades un injectors require mods? Are there any direct replacements that will work that dont require mods?

59 minutes ago, AZDooner said:

Theres a lot more to an intercooler than i would have figured. Anybody have a suggestion on an over the counter purchase of an air to air cooler? Size suggestions for a 3.5 honda making 350 hp sounds like it would be 6"x6" or equivalent to 36 in sqared surface area.

If you are shooting for 350whp. Motor is putting out 425+

That's way too small.. More like 24x12x4 or something like that

Edited by Legit Duner

10 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Works well, only bummer is you have to have to make sure the tank is full.  

Either way you go, make sure you do it before you tune.  Hondas are MAP sensor only, so if you build, tune, then make a change, the motor will probably be lean.  

I stressed hard about it. Worried pump would not work, run out, etc.  But I hardly used any, maybe 1-2oz. a trip.  I was told it was overkill, that intercooling is not real issue if under 10psi.  I didn't go over the temp threshold very often apparently. I bet it was all from the drags.