Sign in to follow this  
Rockwood

Why Star Wars Isn't Such an Awesome Movie Now

Trying not to shit all over the Strange Things You See thread... :bigrin 

2 hours ago, CRUSTY said:

Everyone fondly remembers their first time - pop a cherry

:luv:

Of course what is available now is better then what was back then - think sears catalog vs smart phone vast interwebz

Hey man, I loved those movies when I was a kid...  But now, not so much.  The primary reason the movie was so good back then was the special effects.  Now, we're just left with plot holes, odd dialogue, questionable tactics, etc, since we can't oooh and aaaah over the special effects.  Add in Lucas' idiotic insistence to add shitty 90s tech CGI scenes into a 100% prop/simple effects movie and it's even worse.  That being said, Empire Strikes Back is still an epic movie.  A New Hope is aight.  Return of the Jedi would've been good if it weren't for the damned teddy bears.  

Back to the Future, I can still watch and enjoy.  Indiana Jones, awesome.  Star Wars...?  Meh.  

Then there's those facking Prequels.  

The new ones are entertaining, but they're basically fancy action movies with no real story...

Anyway, yeah.  Waaay better movies out there now, and the originals just don't stand the test of time like some other classics.  :bigrin 

That being said, I leave you with:

Edited by Rockwood

I agree 100%

I was a HUGE Star Wars fanboy as a kid, had all the toys, literally. Seen all the movies a 1,000 times, etc.

Then I grew up, movie plots, the writers and most of all the cinematography and Special Effects got MUCH BETTER. It is hard to watch the original 3 SW movies today, not that they are bad...they still bring fond childhood memories back. The new stuff, its ok. I even still enjoy the Star Wars stuff at Disneyland, Star Tours is still fun, Space Mountain with SW video clips and music is cool...and I look forward to the new section of the park.

But yes, it is dated and isn't really standing the test of time.

Funny you mention Back to the future, watched last week and its still badass cool movie. Indiana Jones will NEVER get old, any of the first 3 actually.

I love Sci Fi.

5th Element has been seen too many times, i'm going to skip it every time it comes up on FX for 2 years at least...is a good one.

We just saw K.I.N. at the movie theaters, was good, simple but good and left open for more movie sequels, at least one more.

I cant watch movies or tv period now. Its been probably 3 years since i’ve been in a theatre. Im much too synical. I feel like walking out when the token minorities gays and trannies, or female empowerment or name yore virtue comes out. I cant do it. It ruins it for me knowing they pander to a crowd. Newest star wars are a perfect example of PC movie making.  Cant wait till lukes daughter turns out to be a tranny

1 minute ago, CRUSTY said:

I agree 100%

I was a HUGE Star Wars fanboy as a kid, had all the toys, literally. Seen all the movies a 1,000 times, etc.

Then I grew up, movie plots, the writers and most of all the cinematography and Special Effects got MUCH BETTER. It is hard to watch the original 3 SW movies today, not that they are bad...they still bring fond childhood memories back. The new stuff, its ok. I even still enjoy the Star Wars stuff at Disneyland, Star Tours is still fun, Space Mountain with SW video clips and music is cool...and I look forward to the new section of the park.

But yes, it is dated and isn't really standing the test of time.

Funny you mention Back to the future, watched last week and its still badass cool movie. Indiana Jones will NEVER get old, any of the first 3 actually.

I love Sci Fi.

5th Element has been seen too many times, i'm going to skip it every time it comes up on FX for 2 years at least...is a good one.

We just saw K.I.N. at the movie theaters, was good, simple but good and left open for more movie sequels, at least one more.

Just saw the preview for K.I.N.  Looks good.

Been reading a lot more lately.  Lots of good stories out there...

don't u like King Kong ? :bigrin

If yore a Tom Cruise Fan...

Edge of Tomorrow and Oblivion - are pretty good flicks

Minority Report was meh.

I was and still am a Star Wars fan! Almost anything SI-FI is up my alley.  But to really take me back to my childhood it's all about Godzilla! I've got my grandsons hook on it now. Even the dumb Japanese ones! I hated the late 90's one...they made the monster look like and iguana! The last one from a coupe of years ago was fine...just not enough Godzilla in my Godzilla movie!! But when he shoots blue fire out of his mouth I go right back to being 12 again! I'm looking forward to this one. 

29 minutes ago, bigsammy said:

I was and still am a Star Wars fan! Almost anything SI-FI is up my alley.  But to really take me back to my childhood it's all about Godzilla! I've got my grandsons hook on it now. Even the dumb Japanese ones! I hated the late 90's one...they made the monster look like and iguana! The last one from a coupe of years ago was fine...just not enough Godzilla in my Godzilla movie!! But when he shoots blue fire out of his mouth I go right back to being 12 again! I'm looking forward to this one. 

I loved that remake of Godzilla! Can't wait for the 2nd one.

I love the original Star Wars/Empire Strikes Back/Return of the Jedi. When they made the 3 that precede them, I was worried they are going to look too good for having supposed to take place before.

To me....way too futuristic looking. Number 3 was good though.

My go to Sci Fi movie, Alien and Aliens :headbang:

In Space, no one can hear you scream!!!!

Prometheus and Alien: Covenant were both pretty good. Covenant answers a lot of questions. And sci-fi in a little different category, I enjoyed  Arrival with Amy Adams.

Edited by fortyfour

While Star Wars when I was a kid was the greatest thing on earth, now it's like watching the old John Wayne Republic WWII movies.  Still good but it's not as good as you remember.

The New Star Wars movies are not bad but they are Disney and it does show.

Dbart, The first thing I said when The Phantom Menace came out was, for 30 years earlier everything seems more modern.

Not sure what my new favorite Sci-Fi movie would be. To me the new super CGI effects kind of ruin the movies. They make it seem so real it's not real.  Look at the Transformer Series. They do a great job with the Robots but then make the action seem fake and so over the top it's no longer believable.

As far as The Transformers go , I was the age when they came out that.  I could believe that a Duck could talk, even with a speech impediment over a car could turn into a robot....

Guardians of the Galaxy is pretty fun.  

The Martian was an epic movie.

Star Trek movies are decent. 

Ready Player One was an epic book, decent/good movie.  

Edited by Rockwood

10 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Guardians of the Galaxy is pretty fun.  Agree

The Martian was an epic movie.  Agree

Star Trek movies are decent.   Actualy like the Reboot better than the Original movies but liked TNG characters better

Ready Player One was an epic book, decent/good movie.  

TNG was where it was at.  As a kid, Star Wars was better.  As an adult that can pay attention for more than 3 minutes, Star Trek.

25 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

TNG was where it was at.  As a kid, Star Wars was better.  As an adult that can pay attention for more than 3 minutes, Star Trek.

Haha. i came to the star trek awakening in my early-mid 20s. Always flipped past it as a kid. Then later in life was like, damn thats a good show. I miss old school comedies. Ala  Police academy, naked gun, hot shots, airplane, caddyshack, and of course blazing saddles

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets was good, very visual

Yesterday son had practice at the Ice Rink and found out from a friend there that model/actress Cara Delevingne showed up.

Im not crazy about the super thin types...but shes amazingly beautiful

Zeman-Cara-Delevingne-00012.jpg

31 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets was good, very visual

Yesterday son had practice at the Ice Rink and found out from a friend there that model/actress Cara Delevingne showed up.

Im not crazy about the super thin types...but shes amazingly beautiful

Zeman-Cara-Delevingne-00012.jpg

Is she even remotely old enough to know what that strange device on the wall is for?

It's funny, I didn't even notice she was at a phone booth :lmao:

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Shaka, when the walls fell!

2 hours ago, Desert Disciple said:

Shaka, when the walls fell!

I hated that episode with a passion...

bbc04a72-8962-4b54-ab50-44a93cee3046.jpg