Sign in to follow this  
kingkong

Replacing CVS question??

Is it ok to just replace star cage and balls or should I replace in tire CVS I've had the car for 4 years and now seeing wear on just the star and cages... 

Cage and stars get replaced all the time even a good chance to upgrade if needed. I would check alper is a great source for info and has great prices.

3 hours ago, kingkong said:

Is it ok to just replace star cage and balls or should I replace in tire CVS I've had the car for 4 years and now seeing wear on just the star and cages... 

Wear on the star and cages can be de-burred if they aren't too bad.  I do it all the time when prepping people's off-road cars.  If there is pitting in the stars then they most likely need to be replaced.  Have any pics of yours to post up?

20180808_172610.jpg

20180808_173425.jpg

I use a Dremel and polishing stone to knock down sharp edges and get more life out of the cage, star and bodies.

20180728_150444.jpg

20180728_150726.jpg

20141014_112336.jpg

20141014_112322.jpg

The pitting on these RCV's is bad and they can't be saved.

Can you flip the stars if they are pitted like that?  My RCV stars do not have a raised lip on the outside, so I flipped them last year when I saw the pitting.   Thought maybe I could get a few more years?  Thanks

9 minutes ago, budlight69 said:

Can you flip the stars if they are pitted like that?  My RCV stars do not have a raised lip on the outside, so I flipped them last year when I saw the pitting.   Thought maybe I could get a few more years?  Thanks

Yes.  Even if the have the raised lip you can flip them.  I've pulled numerous CV's apart and found them 'backwards' with the raided lip to the outside and it didn't cause any issues.

Unless the main body is pitted or damaged, you don't need to buy a complete new CV.

My CV bodies are original from 2004 and look great.

Only replace stars/cages when needed.

I flip my stars every year.

Increases longevity.

6 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

Wear on the star and cages can be de-burred if they aren't too bad.  I do it all the time when prepping people's off-road cars.  If there is pitting in the stars then they most likely need to be replaced.  Have any pics of yours to post up?

20180808_172610.jpg

20180808_173425.jpg

I use a Dremel and polishing stone to knock down sharp edges and get more life out of the cage, star and bodies.

20180728_150444.jpg

20180728_150726.jpg

20141014_112336.jpg

20141014_112322.jpg

The pitting on these RCV's is bad and they can't be saved.

Good deal thanks for the info I'll post some up tomorrow when I take em off the buggy