Bobalos

On Board Air Compressors

I have an old Ram truck (1999) that I tow my trailer & buggy to the dunes with & am thinking about putting onboard air on the truck.  I was thinking (or maybe engine driven.  I have a 24V cummins, I thought there might be a belt driven conversion/retrofit, but cant seem to find a bolt on deal.  

Im planning on using it to add air to the buggy tires, maybe fill up the truck tires after airing them down @ the dunes, and probably adding a Train Horn.  

one of the guys @ work has bags on his car & suggested one of the Viair deals with a tank which I thought was a pretty good idea.  that got me to thinking about RV's & Toy Haulers & bigger trucks that might all have onboard air.  

Do any of you guys have onboard air on your Truck/RV/ToyHauler/Toter/MoHo/etc??  

any feedback on what works & what does not?

thanks

Bob

I got my on board compressor for the trailer from harbor freight and serves me well. I know the quality is not that of viair but spending $60 if it breaks replacing it is not a problem. And its hasent let me down yet.

I am running a viair 380C 100% duty cycle air compressor. I run a 1/4 in line to a 1.5 gallon tank and to the rear with a quick disconnect fitting for airing up the trailer tires or anything else, run to the front with a 12v air valve for the air horns.  I just use cheap 1/4 line and tested it to 200 psi and works fine.  My hose for filling the tires is 30 feet of the cheapo 1/4 line with male and female quick disconnects that works fine and easy to store. The viair  finally stopped pumping and I bought a new rod with a piston and rebuilt it and it works great.  I am able to add air to the rear springs air bag at any time as well

2 hours ago, CarWashGuru said:

Does anyone have pictures of their setup?

my old mini truck that had bags, I was running two compressors and a 5 gallaon tank, had it all mounted where the spare tire used to be under the bed. make sure to hook the compressors to the ignition so that way the compressors will only turn on if the motor is on, those things will kill your battery. 

oasis air, 12 volt winch motor on a modified a/c compressor, mucho air! no need for a tank.  I air up my 35's on my truck from 20 to 65 in two minutes a tire.

I have the arb twin mounted under the passenger seat of my jeep.  Probably the best quality 12v compressor out there. 

what about just using a small nitrogen tank? no compressor to fail or drive and it'll hold a lot more air than you'll ever need.

Any compressor that's 100% duty cycle and 150 psi will work for you, puma makes some nice units as does viair, 480 series is nice. Nitrogen tank will not last one weekend, but a CO2 tank will last for trip after trip just filling up tires running air hose blow gun for seats etc .

I have a craftsman air compressor in my enclosed.  It works great.

I am considering a viair system to mount on board the motorhome so u can add an air horn and have air when we dont have the trailer with us.

In my toyhauler I had a small HF compressor similar to my current craftsman one and I added a 3 gallon tank to add capacity. I ran copper lines under the trailer to the front two corners and  above the licence plate. Then I could air up the truck and trailer with a flexible air hose and get the toys from any side. 

Screenshot_20180915-060531_Chrome.jpg

On 9/14/2018 at 3:28 PM, bgchlln said:

oasis air, 12 volt winch motor on a modified a/c compressor, mucho air! no need for a tank.  I air up my 35's on my truck from 20 to 65 in two minutes a tire.

So you have a winch motor (I have a 2k winch not in use and no controler) and a old York 210 compressor 8cfm (I have one on the shelf that never got used for on-board air), jigged the motor to the compressor and air lined it all up?

I gotta see this setup!