Ivanvent

New rzr clunking noise

Hey everyone we purchased a new rzr4 turbo  this weekend. I noticed that it makes a popping clunking noise sometimes when I’m backing up. Is this normal? Chain maybe?

If it's coming from right under the floor board then check the bearing bracket and make sure both bolts are present. And tight.

Makes a helluva heart stopping noise and sounds very serious. And yes, it only did it in reverse. Don't ask me how I know this. 

Could also be the clutch engaging the belt. My X3 does the same thing

That noise is usually coming from the clutch.  They make all sorts of noises and I would not worry about it.  I believe the turbo trans no longer has a reverse chain,  it is gear driven. 

Edited by Sand Shark

I had something like this last season...drove me nuts until I found it.

Is it a "rotational" kind of thumping or is it a popping?  Does it happen at every speed or a certain speed?

Here is a list of things to look at:

Axles/CVs.  Jack up the front end with the front diff locked.  Try and turn the tire by hand.  How much play do you have?  If you have a lot, it's your CVs...you have to change the axles/cvs because they are sold as an assembled set.  Repeat the same steps for the rear.  If it is the axles and cv, look online because Polar axles are EXPENSIVE!  

Take off the center driveshaft cover between driver and passenger.  You'll see the center carrier bearing.  Pull and shake the driveshaft to see how much play you have.  If you do, change the carrier bearing.  I have one I'll sell you if if is the same part number...they aren't very expensive...just a pain in the ass to change because it's pressed on.  (you can use heat and ice to make it work at home)

Inspect the clutch.  It could be a worn belt, belt missing teeth or a cracked primary or secondary faces where the belt runs.

Lastly...after I changed all that...check your brake pads.  I was missing a brake pad and the rotational grinding, thumping was the other pad slapping back and forth.  Who'da thunk it.  If it is a missing brake pad, you probably have a bent caliper/brake pad mounting bracket.  When you put it all back together, make sure you adjust and tighten down the allen head that secures the bracket and doesn't allow the brake pad to fall off again.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

My wallet makes that noise every since I bought one..

1 hour ago, Mac said:

I had something like this last season...drove me nuts until I found it.

Is it a "rotational" kind of thumping or is it a popping?  Does it happen at every speed or a certain speed?

Here is a list of things to look at:

Axles/CVs.  Jack up the front end with the front diff locked.  Try and turn the tire by hand.  How much play do you have?  If you have a lot, it's your CVs...you have to change the axles/cvs because they are sold as an assembled set.  Repeat the same steps for the rear.  If it is the axles and cv, look online because Polar axles are EXPENSIVE!  

Take off the center driveshaft cover between driver and passenger.  You'll see the center carrier bearing.  Pull and shake the driveshaft to see how much play you have.  If you do, change the carrier bearing.  I have one I'll sell you if if is the same part number...they aren't very expensive...just a pain in the ass to change because it's pressed on.  (you can use heat and ice to make it work at home)

Inspect the clutch.  It could be a worn belt, belt missing teeth or a cracked primary or secondary faces where the belt runs.

Lastly...after I changed all that...check your brake pads.  I was missing a brake pad and the rotational grinding, thumping was the other pad slapping back and forth.  Who'da thunk it.  If it is a missing brake pad, you probably have a bent caliper/brake pad mounting bracket.  When you put it all back together, make sure you adjust and tighten down the allen head that secures the bracket and doesn't allow the brake pad to fall off again.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Damn, no wonder you were trying to sell it!!! LOL

Carrier bearing makes a cringeworthy racket when it's not strapped down and you're trying to go backwards.

Not to worry, my 12 XP Liquid Silver is for sale too.

Yeah I’m not doing all of that lol I’ll have the dealer check it seeing how it’s brand new. It just does it at very low speed in reverse and a bit going forward 

36 minutes ago, aceisback said:

Damn, no wonder you were trying to sell it!!! LOL

Carrier bearing makes a cringeworthy racket when it's not strapped down and you're trying to go backwards.

Not to worry, my 12 XP Liquid Silver is for sale too.

Hey now.

I fixed everything...I've never sold crap on here and everyone has always been happy.  If anything, I've fixed everything and someone is going to get a practically brand new RZR.

24 minutes ago, Ivanvent said:

Yeah I’m not doing all of that lol I’ll have the dealer check it seeing how it’s brand new. It just does it at very low speed in reverse and a bit going forward 

You asked... :lol:

3 minutes ago, Mac said:

You asked... :lol:

Not everybody here is Retired and jacked up on Mtn Dew   :lol:

Some great advise in here, first step however is take back to Dealer.

1 hour ago, Ivanvent said:

You don't need to do all that.  The clunking you are hearing is the clutch.   

Thank you everyone hopefully it is the clutch I’ll get it looked at soon just to be safe