Sign in to follow this  
John@Outfront Mtrsprts

want to buy an excavator, anyone have some pointers

I have three tractors at my house now. 2004 S220, Case MXT570 and a mini X 234.  My favorite is the mini X.  Would like to buy a larger Xcavator for some bigger projects, perhaps a bomb shelter and to move a few 5000# rocks, you know the typical stuff around the house. :) 

It needs to have two joy sticks for bucket control and I have no  idea what year this really started to happen (I don't want 4 levers, but that could have been in the 70's like I said I have no idea)

I would prefer a year that would be biggest bang for the buck, that maybe doesn't comply with California's emission issues so it will be cheaper.  I know a neighbor that bought a huge 80k# unit for $9k but it was massive.  I would prefer a mid size unit  Budget could be from $10-30k

Im ok with some basic repairs, leaking rams etc.

Thanks for any input in advance

I was told that the two joy sticks are called John Deere controls, The four are usually call Case controls.  You can get most machines either way.

and a thumb, you will want one of them. 

You have two types of control.  'John Deere' and 'Cat'  Both have two sticks, but boom/stick and bucket curl/swing are swapped.  Cat is the new industry standard although most decent excavators have pattern changers to easily swap.  Once you learn one way, it is very tough to operate the other way.  Excavators are sized in metric tons (metric ton is 2200 pounds).    So and '80' size is 8.0 metric tons (machine weight around 17,600 pounds)  '120' size is 12.0 metric tons, etc.  Important if you plan on transporting.  80 size is the largest you usually see with rubber tracks (nice if you have to unload on pavement).  120 size and 200 size are the sweet spots that are not too massive and can still be transported without overwidth (120 size) or overweight permits.  Many excavators are made by other firms and painted/stickered for a particular brand.  I own a few 'Doosan' which seems off-brand by they actually make them for a lot of other companies.  Hitachi actually makes them for a lot of other companies as well.  You should be able to get a good/cheap Tier 0 - 2 machine at a Ritchie Bros auction as companies are forced into T4 machines.  LMK if you have any specific questions...….

Good info, so I don't want oversize or weight, does that mean a 120 or less?  can metal tracks not be on asphalt? concrete?  Im then guessing I would want an 80 then with rubber tracks.  Do they make 80's with steel tracks?

I assume my mini is a size 10 then because I think it can do like 2000#

You know you've "made it" when you're buying huge excavators for personal use. ;)

30 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

Good info, so I don't want oversize or weight, does that mean a 120 or less?  can metal tracks not be on asphalt? concrete?  Im then guessing I would want an 80 then with rubber tracks.  Do they make 80's with steel tracks?

I assume my mini is a size 10 then because I think it can do like 2000#

They are classed based on weight, not lifting capacity (lifting capacity has a million variables).  A 120 is legal (8'6") wide and weight.  A 200 class is over-width (around 10'6" so no pilot car required) and legal weight (depending on truck/trailer, etc.).  Metal tracks will damage AC/concrete (you can cross streets, etc if you put 2x12's down).  An 80 sized machine will lift 5000 lbs. pretty easily.  80 is a nice size because it is about the biggest you can move with a dually pickup and gooseneck trailer.

Please take a go pro and post the video of the test drive!!   ?

OK so my mini X weighs 7000lbs, I pick up 1500lb rocks with easy (about 3-3.5 feet in diameter  and can push 4000lb rocks with the back fill blade).  sounds like I need an 80 with rubber tracks  when you look at x's on WCA they just call out a brand and model number. I have never seen them say a 120 or 80

The model number is the size.  example:. Kobelco sk80,  Komatsu PC120, etc.   Sounds like you mini is a 30 or 35 size machine.

Saw your earlier comment and yes they do make some 80's with steel tracks, but rare.  You can also bolt rubber blocks onto steel tracks to allow you to operate larger excavators on pavement.

Edited by 1newbie
update

This should be able to meet all your common home owner needs. About 2000 hp and turbo charged.

john.jpg

look at cat 318  cat 312 or a deere 590 they both are steel track around 36 k lbs. about the largest you can put on a tagalong trailer  but they will be around the same price as a 60 k lb machines which you need a low boy for. if your not going to move it often get the bigger machine.  with older machines take a good look at the tracks see how far the adjuster is out. run it for a while make sure the pumps are not making any weird noises and the hyd oil dose not get excessivle hot. most newer machine have the radiator is a separate box with a hydraulic fan which helps keep everything cool.  if you buy a older machine stick with name brand stuff that you can get parts for      daewoo got bought out by doosan not all part are still available i have a 2004 dl300 loader i couldn't get a planetary for but i found one used. i think volvo bought samsung 

Edited by diesel-e

I have a Hitachi Mini X for sale if anybody wants one 

Anyone ever seen the excavators that the border patrol uses to maintain the border fence at Buttercup? They usually drive them into the dunes to hide them. The reach is probably every bit of 60-80', they are big sumbitches.

Edited by fortyfour

My golf buddy is the President of Kubota if you'd like a hook-up.

Here's mine! Kubota KX080

KX 080.JPG

14 hours ago, Ocotillo Boy said:

I have a Hitachi Mini X for sale if anybody wants one 

How much? Details pics.

Has no one else wondered why a guy would need to have his own excavator on his property.  I could see renting one once or twice but owning one seems a bit much. I can't see the need to dig deep holes in the ground on a repeated bases unless your digging graves. It also is just after a guy tries to skip out on a $9,000 bill.  All I'm going to say is I'm glad I don't owe him any money. 

1 hour ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

Has no one else wondered why a guy would need to have his own excavator on his property.  I could see renting one once or twice but owning one seems a bit much. I can't see the need to dig deep holes in the ground on a repeated bases unless your digging graves. It also is just after a guy tries to skip out on a $9,000 bill.  All I'm going to say is I'm glad I don't owe him any money. 

HaHa

I use my mini x weekly.  how about a kolbeco 909, what size is that.  it looks old but is in Fontana for $10k  it looks like joy levers, rather than joy sticks.

my mini's right hand control is pull left to close bucket and right to open.  is that like the common CAT stuff

3 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

HaHa

I use my mini x weekly.  how about a kolbeco 909, what size is that.  it looks old but is in Fontana for $10k  it looks like joy levers, rather than joy sticks.

my mini's right hand control is pull left to close bucket and right to open.  is that like the common CAT stuff

I only rent heavy equipment and all of the ones I have rented are reversible.  Would guess there is a valve that can reverse left and right controls on most of them, That is if the controls are not to your liking.

6 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

HaHa

Yes, that is CAT (also known as SAE) controls.  "Deere" controls are actually ISO controls

8 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

HaHa

The Kobelco 909  would be referred to a 50,000lb excavator class.  The one advertised at Scott in Fontana looks to be a 1982 model according to the Carb  EIN decal on the side. I wouldn’t know what to call the controls on that dinosaur. I know your a gear head but don’t let the supercharger on the engine get you excited. I’d be scared to death finding parts for it. 

Look at some auction sites  Ritchie brothers etc.  Vantage auctions in Elsinore is having an auction in Oct looks like they have a few machines. 

Edited by Rubeyu

Great replies so far. So how do you convert 909 to 50k. Based on the metric ton i thought it would be 9x 2200 so like 20k lbs. Guess not. Ok too old but i thought the name was good. On the equipment trader there are lots of incredible units $100-250k.  Wow! 

I don't have much experience with heavy equipment but have heard enough bad news over Richie bros auctions to say be very careful when purchasing equipment there. I hear they are masters at polishing turds.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/hvo/d/john-deere-120-excavator/6698554839.html  most machines are piolt operated controls  and  you can move the hoses around to change the operating pattern