Sign in to follow this  
John@Outfront Mtrsprts

want to buy an excavator, anyone have some pointers

On 9/28/2018 at 11:01 PM, Ocotillo Boy said:

You know how much it weighs?

1 minute ago, Southbayrhino22 said:

I don't recall but I can weigh it tomorrow when I get to the office.

6 minutes ago, Southbayrhino22 said:

About 7700 depending on bucket, etc.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:52 AM, diesel-e said:

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/hvo/d/john-deere-120-excavator/6698554839.html  most machines are piolt operated controls  and  you can move the hoses around to change the operating pattern

this doesn't look too bad. I love the attachments, but it doesn't look like it has a Thumb? did I say that right? or even a provision for one.  what year would this be?

im thinking a 308 would be the best fit for me but maybe a 12.  Hey Occotillo--how much can I tow with a goose neck on my 2500HD chevy single axle--just curious

I have found some 308s in the $30-40k range but none on the west coast, some in Poland and Italy, even Canada. looks like I could get into one in the 2000-2008 range

Keep in mind that some of those bigger hoes that seem like a good deal might not be.  A final or main pump can be $15k to replace.

6 minutes ago, 1newbie said:

Keep in mind that some of those bigger hoes that seem like a good deal might not be.  A final or main pump can be $15k to replace.

Yikes, can I substitute Subaru parts in there?  hehe

when those are bad are they an external leak issue or internal mechanical issues/pressure?

So what do you do and are you local to me, would love to come visit

I'm in nor cal (just bought an aem series 2 for 3.5 honda from you).  I do fine grading, custom house pads, etc.  (we are small - 25 employees, maybe 10 pieces of iron)  Been pretty busy last couple years since housing market is pretty hot up here.

17 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

this doesn't look too bad. I love the attachments, but it doesn't look like it has a Thumb? did I say that right? or even a provision for one.  what year would this be?

im thinking a 308 would be the best fit for me but maybe a 12.  Hey Occotillo--how much can I tow with a goose neck on my 2500HD chevy single axle--just curious

I have found some 308s in the $30-40k range but none on the west coast, some in Poland and Italy, even Canada. looks like I could get into one in the 2000-2008 range

you can weld a thumb on any machine if it has aux hydraulics you can put a hydraulic thumb on they are nice.  deere and cat are both very popular for used and aftermarket parts if your looking at a older machine run it for a while and try to bring someone with you that has some experience running machines they will know how well it operates and if  the oil gets excessively hot there might be a problem with the pump or valve. bring a inferred temp gun with you  and you can all  ways take a oil sample cat sells the test kits and the can test the oil for excessive metal contaminants    

going to rent a 40,000lb excavator this weekend, lets see how she does!  Doing a test drive

Been working on heavy equipment for a while, best bang for your buck right now are the Cat 225, 235 or the big dog 245. parts are easy to get after market and the prices are good. These are non emission machines and are at the auctions alot. I bought a John Deere 790 for $8000.00 last year and just need to reseal the final brakes. good machine but on the Deere and the Hitachi the nuts for the cylinder pistons are torqued to huge amount and it take special machine to get them apart so repair can get expensive. Find a machine with a thumb.  The pumps on the 200 series Cat have gotten cheap to fix.  Don't recommend a Samsong or other off brand, finding parts are hard.  There's plenty of these machines out there so it shouldn't be hard to find.

Used this 40,000unit for 9 hours over the weekend. The crowing event was to pull this rock over. It was on its side and about 4 feet was exposed and we had to drive around it for 6 years. It took 3 hours. And a hole the size of a swimming pool.  Even with 80% exposed i couldnt pull it over. Had my neighbor with his backhoe help. Once it fell i tried to "tug" on it with my excavator. Ciuldnt move it sn inch. Guessing it weighs 30,000lbs. Its buried now

5 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

20181014_182614.jpg

That is one big ass rock.

Edited by MWB

1 minute ago, MWB said:

Now what are you going to do with it ? 

That is one big ass rock.

I would just dig a even deeper hole right behind it and push it into the deeper hole and just bury it deep enough that you will never see it again.

Yep. It was nestled in DG. More in pure granite. Tough digging 

Dynamite.....

This was a massive 4foot diameter oak tree i cut down a year ago. It was dead.  Stump grinder...yeah right. Just rent an excavator 

20181013_110515.jpg

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

On the off chance it might come in handy for some of your other rocks, check out dexpan. It's a powder you mix with water into a slurry. Drill holes into your rock, fill with the slurry,  and the product slowly swells and cracks the rock over night. Not as fun as the excavator but still pretty cool.  http://www.dexpan.com/

rocks5.jpg

rocks4.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:42 PM, Agricon said:

Been working on heavy equipment for a while, best bang for your buck right now are the Cat 225, 235 or the big dog 245. parts are easy to get after market and the prices are good. These are non emission machines and are at the auctions alot. I bought a John Deere 790 for $8000.00 last year and just need to reseal the final brakes. good machine but on the Deere and the Hitachi the nuts for the cylinder pistons are torqued to huge amount and it take special machine to get them apart so repair can get expensive. Find a machine with a thumb.  The pumps on the 200 series Cat have gotten cheap to fix.  Don't recommend a Samsong or other off brand, finding parts are hard.  There's plenty of these machines out there so it shouldn't be hard to find.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/hvo/d/kobelco-sk200srlc-excavator/6727085905.html

is Kobelco a good brand or off brand.  would like to look at this unit if you guys give me the thumbs up?  decent price, I can fix pins and leaking rams and its close to my house!

is 7500 hours something to be concerned with?

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

23 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/hvo/d/kobelco-sk200srlc-excavator/6727085905.html

is Kobelco a good brand or off brand.  would like to look at this unit if you guys give me the thumbs up?  decent price, I can fix pins and leaking rams and its close to my house!

is 7500 hours something to be concerned with?

Flushing the fuel tank is a big alarm for me. Contamination of the fuel system could get expensive repairing the injection pump and injectors.  Pins and bushings might also require line boring depending on condition.   

I put a deposit down for a 2003 Kobelco S200 SRLC  30" tracks, 10.5 feet wide. 50,000lbs. needs some minor work (yeah right like anything on this would be minor)

Dec 1st

How was the test drive??

1 hour ago, AlpineFunco said:

How was the test drive??

I simply let it run for 20 min, did a few circles and up and down.  Ill show you the real test drive when I get it home on Dec 1, 

things are looking good for this sat delivery, Was wondering if the Cheff wanted to come by for pizza HaHa!  What am I going to do with this?........................anything I want.

for starters I have a shallow pond in my front yard,  like 100 feet in diameter, was thinking about making it 15feet deep.  maybe prepping for doing a bomb shelter.  My neighbor is going in 1/2 with me.  he is tearing down half of his house for a major remodel.  I also need to put in a 60 foot small 3 foot retaining wall and the ground is like solid undisturbed DG.  my mini x hardly can scratch this stuff.  I will take the single claw "ripper" and loosen that stuff right up.  I have plans to rent it to a few select neighbors in the area for like $3k a month too

So with some Tech help from Romans9  I successfully rebuilt my swing valve.  It cost $200 in parts and some sweat labor.  The part sells new for $1600.  Im sure this job would have cost about $3k if I dropped it off and I did a great job and got a free pressure wash of my MiniX!  just in time to plant a few more trees before hip surgery next week!

IMG_7585.JPG

IMG_7588.JPG

IMG_7597.JPG

IMG_7600.JPG