Not Momma.  Yesteryear.

I was such a huge Honda ATC Fanboy as a kid. They didn't make a single model ATC that I didn't like even the farm equipment stuff was so cool to me.

My first was an ATC110, then a ATC200s then a ATC250R '83, the ATC250R '85 and even a ATC250EX for awhile (Friend owed me $$)...also have two ATC70's now.

I always wanted the ATC200X when I had my S model and the ATC350X would have been a blast too.

When we got into the game modified 185's were the shiznit.

I like the other companies 3 wheelers...but Kawasaki and Yamaha were cool, just not a Honda. Suzuki...meh.

Repost......

93E0C561-9952-4219-A47F-DFEA2A081724.jpeg

I bought a new 350X in 1985. $2500. I thought it had a ton of power cuz all that was out in the desert was 200Xs. Theeeen, I took it to the cinders....250Rs everywhere. I felt like a gutless turd in a punch bowl. Kind of bummed me out on riding, didn't know about the dunes at the time. I traded the boat anchor for a 3500 Honda generator for my cabinet installation business. That 350X burnt me out on riding it was so lacking in power even with a bassani pipe.

Man If I would have had somebody around who knew Jack they would have guided me to a 250R. I never got anything until a Banshee 20 years later.

The fist thing I ever bought once I stated working while in collage was an 85 250R. I rode the tires off of it til 1988 when I bought the TRX 250R. It was a whole other world. The 4 wheeler given a couple of years would have killed the 3 wheeler if big government had stayed out of it. But had they we probably would have seen the ATC 500R that Honda was developing at the time. That would have surely lead to  a TRX 500R but instead we had big government and lawyers save us from ourselves. Thanks to lawyers and our "it's not your fault" legal system even 4 wheeler's stopped evolving in 89 and Honda tapped out. We would see anything new and cool for almost 15 years.

I'd love to have a 250R...those are so much fun!

Used to ride in Palm Springs/Thousand Palms area. A buddy had a 200X, 350X and 250R and we'd trade off riding them.

Funnest times were when it would be about 1:00 am and he say let's go on a Man's Ride. In the canyons in the middle of the night. Epic fun!

Outran the BLM out there a couple times. Now that whole area is closed off.

7 minutes ago, dbart said:

Outran the BLM out there a couple times. Now that whole area is closed off.

I was wondering why they closed down that area along time ago, now I know !   Shame on you! :bigrin

Loved White Water area off the 111, lots of old family riding videos on VHS tapes from back then.

All Whitewater/Palm Springs...... repost, but I enjoy looking at the good times past.

95A8F299-4491-476A-85A5-196BF7CE46AA.jpeg

61DF5AD1-B9B8-4F98-AED5-2C329B0044DA.jpeg

B406ED9B-0B49-4AF9-B0EE-1A28E5736930.jpeg

FF5E66E5-03BA-490F-9AAF-73A93BE539D2.jpeg

5F310C8F-C904-4E94-8E3A-876DDC2F7041.jpeg

EABA1190-1191-4817-B859-E275EAAA6734.jpeg

A good friend of mine had a 350X and a 200X. He is the one who got me into riding and going to the dunes.  Once I got my first bike a 85 250R we started going to this place in the summer time called 7 mile wash. It was supposed to be 7 miles from the river to a the road.  It started off in a tight box canyon near the river and would open up to a 1/4 mile sand wash that had trails all over the place.  They all led to the road.  So we would race all the way up to the road rest there for a few minutes then turn around and haul ass back to the river.  We would really fly after dark where you didn't have to worry about the on coming traffic.  Can't tell you how many times we made that run and the few times that I actually beat him on a 3 wheeler could be counted on one hand and it was never by much.  Allthough the last time we ran the Wash I had my Banshee and lets just say I had my helmet off and waiting at the road when he arrived.

Last month I sold him my Honda 450R and he is going to be returning to the dunes this year after a long absence.   Keeping my YFZ450R for a renewed challenger

3 minutes ago, MWB said:

A good friend of mine had a 350X and a 200X. He is the one who got me into riding and going to the dunes.  Once I got my first bike a 85 250R we started going to this place in the summer time called 7 mile wash. It was supposed to be 7 miles from the river to a the road.  It started off in a tight box canyon near the river and would open up to a 1/4 mile sand wash that had trails all over the place.  They all led to the road.  So we would race all the way up to the road rest there for a few minutes then turn around and haul ass back to the river.  We would really fly after dark where you didn't have to worry about the on coming traffic.  Can't tell you how many times we made that run and the few times that I actually beat him on a 3 wheeler could be counted on one hand and it was never by much.  Allthough the last time we ran the Wash I had my Banshee and lets just say I had my helmet off and waiting at the road when he arrived.

Last month I sold him my Honda 450R and he is going to be returning to the dunes this year after a long absence.   Keeping my YFZ450R for a renewed challenger

Cool Story Bruh :thumbup:

My kids are at the age the ATC70 is small...and I'm sure when they hit their 40's they will want one fully customized...that seems to be the pattern :lol:

I would love to get an ATC200X (Right size, weight and power) for them to mess around with, simply because there is nothing like a fun 3-wheeler in the sand dunes.

Had an 85 200X, Dirt Wheels coined it the ultimate playbike. Loved it. Even when I got older and had a 250R, would still romp around on the X.

I had a 90 bore'd out to a 104 then a 106, then got a 185S, then the X.

You guys and your Honda's! LOL!! The first thing I did when i got my divorce from my first wife in 1982 was buy one of the first Kawasaki Tecate's that was water cooled to show up! $2500 and I had to make payments for 2 years! I wanted something that no one else had and was the fastest thing out there! I took it out to "Windy point"...Palm Springs for those that don't know...and killed every Honda there! Then out to Glamis and Comp hill and the same result! One one could touch me...for a season anyway!! The next season Honda comes out with their water cooled 250r and there went my king of the hill dreams from the past season! LOL! I loved that thing...even if I had to basically put back together after a ride! No counterbalancer on the crank so it pretty much shook itself apart every time :) .  I had it until 2010 then I sold it along with my wife's 200x after we got the sand car. 

Picture 22.jpg

Picture 22c.jpg

1 hour ago, CRUSTY said:

Cool Story Bruh :thumbup:

My kids are at the age the ATC70 is small...and I'm sure when they hit their 40's they will want one fully customized...that seems to be the pattern :lol:

I would love to get an ATC200X (Right size, weight and power) for them to mess around with, simply because there is nothing like a fun 3-wheeler in the sand dunes.

Yep.  Quads are faster overall, but something about having to climb all over the thing and pulling off perfect drifts that make it more fun...

I still have my 86 250R bought it new in 1986.  

atc thumb.jpg

20150208_171125.jpg

Here's my Dad's. Bone stock, purchased off the lot in 86. Never had anything done to it but new plugs. Still has stock tires as well. Cool photo of the two of us. Wish I could find a larger one from DuneFreq

110396810_dadandI.jpg.e1fa7522bbb799f5bcd7389cccdbb87e.jpg

Very cool thread, keep it coming.

I still have this. I bought one new in 1985, but lost it in a forest fire.

Lucky enough to find this and it just needed a little TLC to make new.

DSCN0455.jpg

DSCN0526.jpg

Love riding my 70.

20160704_191512.jpg

20160630_195024.jpg

Rhodie 70.jpeg

I've got an '81 250R.  Needs a teardown/repaint to get her looking new again.  Still runs great though.  

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I've got an '81 250R.  Needs a teardown/repaint to get her looking new again.  Still runs great though.  

Those were the ones that caused the end of the 3-wheelers.  Tons of power in that 2 stroke motor and a suspension that could not handle it.  I rode one once guy at work was selling it. I had ridden a 84 with the pro link and a 85 water pumper at that time.  The pre-pro-link bikes were flat out dangerous.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, MWB said:

Those were the ones that caused the end of the 3-wheelers.  Tons of power in that 2 stroke motor and a suspension that could not handle it.  I rode one once guy at work was selling it. I had ridden a 84 with the pro link and a 85 water pumper at that time.  The pre-pro-link bikes were flat out dangerous.

Yessir.  Makes it that much more fun to ride...

Until it isn't. :bigrin 

Edited by Rockwood

1 hour ago, MWB said:

49 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Yessir.  Makes it that much more fun to ride...

Until it isn't. :bigrin 

1 hour ago, CRUSTY said:

Don't be skurred. :bigrin 

Once again....... “Those were da day’s””