nfc256

Sand rail Insurance

Inquiring what the options are, I have a Tatum 2008 2 seater, its value is above $50000 which is what the max is for insurance on a sand rail, they are requesting appraisals on the value( not just stated value)and a certified mechanic to evaluate the engine cc's. I've seen the huge dollar cars, (plus $125000)I can't imagine these cars not being able to get insurance. Looking for info on how to do it , and who is covering them. Thx

As an insurance agent in CA... you are pretty spot on.  The only carrier that I know of on CALIFORNIA  is foremost... and they are very strict and very pricey.  I would like to know what everyone else is doing to insure their sandcars that are registered and stored in CA??

I'm interested as well, same situation ...... 2 seat Tatum, LS w Blower.  State Farm initially took it on but contacted me two weeks later stating the underwriters had a problem with the HP / car weight!                        I never store the car in the trailer or leave it parked ...... and it's getting old.

State Farm for me never had a problem 

Never give HP numbers just CC size.  if you give HP give rwhp. Most LS with blowers are only 300hp to the ground.   right?

7 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

Never give HP numbers just CC size.  if you give HP give rwhp. Most LS with blowers are only 300hp to the ground.   right?

I didn't ..... they ask for (4) photos (front, back, side & Engine ! I made no mention of the actual engine or of the blower. I have 5 other vehicles insured with them, including a SxS

15 minutes ago, JKR951 said:

I didn't ..... they ask for (4) photos (front, back, side & Engine ! I made no mention of the actual engine or of the blower. I have 5 other vehicles insured with them, including a SxS

bummer state farm has my rails and have been good for years now.  once I get a policy I just swap out cars it is much easier that way. Good luck in the search.  US AZ peeps have it easier

All state covered my car with out question. They got it all truck trailers boats and toys.

Add note to that I would never give Hp numbers to the unsurance company. Dont ask for it on street cars.

To those responding... please specify if you are in AZ or CA.

These are much easier to insure in AZ.

Allstate thru Don Kent here on the forum. I had Foremost and when I changed cars and went away from a VW they wanted the appraisal. Allstate did not. Of course it's not a $50,000 car either...……..

44 minutes ago, spize909 said:

Allstate thru Don Kent here on the forum. I had Foremost and when I changed cars and went away from a VW they wanted the appraisal. Allstate did not. Of course it's not a $50,000 car either...……..

Does Don Kent only write policies for CA? I currently have Foremost in AZ, but they will only cover me for liability. I do not have any theft, damage, or fire. 

Squatcher  you used to own this car.I'm in Ca. If it matters Foremost wants to know cc's with a max of 6000cc's, and appraised value not above $50,000. Appreciate the reply's.

1 hour ago, Squatcher said:

1 hour ago, spize909 said:

@SandSeeker4Life

2 hours ago, indianjoe said:

State Farm for me never had a problem 

So when you state you've never had a problem, I'm assuming you've filed a claim for a stolen or damaged sand rail and have been made hole by your insurance carrier.  Is that the case?  You had a good experience?

Or are you saying they've never had a problem taking your money and you assume you're covered, but in reality you're not and they'll deny your claim if you ever make one.  

I sound like a smart ass, but I'm truly curious.   I have never filed an insurance claim in my life, and I hope to keep it that way. 

I tried to get my V8rail insured through foremost. $2400/yr. Must have an appraisal done. That’s where I got sidetracked. I don’t know who to take it to for appraisal. 

4 hours ago, evantwheeler said:

So when you state you've never had a problem, I'm assuming you've filed a claim for a stolen or damaged sand rail and have been made hole by your insurance carrier.  Is that the case?  You had a good experience?

Or are you saying they've never had a problem taking your money and you assume you're covered, but in reality you're not and they'll deny your claim if you ever make one.  

I sound like a smart ass, but I'm truly curious.   I have never filed an insurance claim in my life, and I hope to keep it that way. 

I have had state farm and have had 3 claims on rails for over 20k each or more. never one problem over 10 years.  

12 hours ago, nfc256 said:

Squatcher  you used to own this car.I'm in Ca. If it matters Foremost wants to know cc's with a max of 6000cc's, and appraised value not above $50,000. Appreciate the reply's.

I'll have to check on this.  I had my HRT insured with Foremost, still do,  for 45K and they wanted to drop me unless I dropped the value to 30K.  They said that they would not insure any off road if it was over 30K.  

Edited by fastcorvairs
Spelling

Yes I have had a claim and they paid out no problem

I have had 3 sand rails with them   I have been with them for over 20 years  not sure if thats makes a difference 

Edited by indianjoe

5 hours ago, indianjoe said:

Yes I have had a claim and they paid out no problem

I have had 3 sand rails with them   I have been with them for over 20 years  not sure if thats makes a difference 

Ive been told that Foremost is the only one in CA accepting NEW clients for Sand Cars. Mine is insured for $26,500 at a cost of just under $900/year but you cannot have a single point on your record. 

Granted i am in Arkansas but Progressive has mine. State farm tried and i got the same response as a few others stated. The underwriter wont cover them. Progressive also insures mine as a street legal vehicle which puts it in a different category i guess. Not  that any of this helps but progressive does cover them as long as you havea title and a VIN number.

Question for you insurance peeps .... If my trailer is insured, what about the continents ? 

Think I'm just going to continue accepting the responsibility of my driving, load the car when I'm leaving and unload when I get back. Never leave the trailer parked with the car loaded.  And pray my alarm system at the shop is always set !!!

5 minutes ago, JKR951 said:

Question for you insurance peeps .... If my trailer is insured, what about the continents ? 

Think I'm just going to continue accepting the responsibility of my driving, load the car when I'm leaving and unload when I get back. Never leave the trailer parked with the car loaded.  And pray my alarm system at the shop is always set !!!

Contents like the toys we take to the desert are not covered by your trailer insurance.

:ranting: Dammit !

2 hours ago, JKR951 said:

:ranting: Dammit !

If it has its own vin it needs its own policy