Sign in to follow this  
desertbound

DS650 advice

My sandcar was stolen this summer and unfortunately, it has not been recovered. So I am doing what I can to keep getting to the dunes with my family. A buddy of mine has a DS650 that has been sitting for a couple years. He offered it to me and I am considering it. 

I am familiar with this quad as it was in our camp as a "wifes bike" for many years. Hour meter is under 1500 hours and it has been taken care of, so I am not worried about it being worn out. 

Anything I need to look for with these quads. I have built multiple yfz450's, 450r's, and even a cannondale from the ground up. So I am familiar with wrenching on these quads. Just would like to know the pro vs cons of the DS650's and maybe the trouble areas to look for. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Brandon

Couches with a big motor  do a search, i think theres an old thread on them. Sounds like Those that know, love them. If anything you can pm the people that owned them

Edited by sausage450r

I have two of them, love them both.  Super comfortable and plenty of power when set up right.  Perfect bike for the over 6' over 220 lb guy.  Getting harder and harder to find parts, though.

What do you want to know?  If you go to the BRP/Can-Am forum on atvconnection.com, there in an encyclopedia of helpful old posts from the bike's heyday. 

message aceisback on here, he has a pretty good stable of them, he was a great help getting mine working right. They really handle well with Haulers, the V paddle skat traks will only handle well at about 3 psi. 22" sand stars work if you cut the little paddle off them.  I loved mine, you didn't flick it around in the air, but it was a nice stable platform that did anything I asked of it. I have a couple aluminum front rims if you want them. I changed to twist throttle, and loved that change. 

This is a great quad I loved mine whiskey I would have kept it the is super stable and very durable. 

Expensive parts,  super heavy. 

Had a close friend ride one over 10 years. Only problem he ever had was a bad breather on the gas cap (internal valve) . Dude usually towed the rest of us out. Super reliable.