BRINGENKAOS

Part found on trans oil plug

Found this while drain my PBS S4. Shim? Anyone have an idea what it could be? It's very thin and very small maybe the size of a pinky nail.

20181013_162458.jpg

Snap ring. 

2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Snap ring. 

Yup

Any idea what its supposed to be holding in

Well, I wouldn't worry, its obviously extra or it wouldn't be floating around in there like that....

That's just the end of a snap ring, the rest of the ring could still be holding what it's supposed to.  I'm a backyard mechanic so If it were me I would use a borescope to look around inside or attach a magnet to a coat hanger and see what I could fish out. Maybe one of the trans guys will give you and idea.

The only thing I know about PBS is Mr. Rogers isn't alive anymore. :blink:

Edited by offroader59

Who did your last rebuild? I had a shop take a record time doing rebuild where all I needed was a R&P (like always) on a Mendi S4. Ran the car for half and went to change the oil and had some big chunks of shit stuck to the plug and a lot of it. It wasn't normal by any stretch.  So I pull and take it to Ranch and there is nothing wrong. So what I'm saying and was a listed as a possibility s the drain plug wasn't cleaned when the trans was apart.  

6 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

Who did your last rebuild? I had a shop take a record time doing rebuild where all I needed was a R&P (like always) on a Mendi S4. Ran the car for half and went to change the oil and had some big chunks of shit stuck to the plug and a lot of it. It wasn't normal by any stretch.  So I pull and take it to Ranch and there is nothing wrong. So what I'm saying and was a listed as a possibility s the drain plug wasn't cleaned when the trans was apart.  

Brand new trans (1 1/2 yr old now). 2nd oil change on it. 1st was break in and this was the 1 yr change. Rancho built it for me

Edited by BRINGENKAOS

Snap ring should be seated in its groove. No reason for this to be floating around unless its been broken off. I would caution using it and side on the fact it was new and would not be old stuff floating around.

@SEAN@WEDDLE hopefully can chime in and give his 2 cents.

10 minutes ago, BRINGENKAOS said:

Brand new trans (1 1/2 yr old now). 2nd oil change on it. 1st was break in and this was the 1 yr change. Rancho built it for me

With that info I would not be comfortable running it. I would pull it and take it to Rancho. You have no way to know why that broke off or what else is floating around and what might end up between some expensive gears at 50 mph. Or what isn't being held where it's suppose to be. It's a lot of work to pull it but blowing out gears and shafts get stupid expensive real quick. Not to mention the expense of a trip just to have an expensive break down and still have to do all that work anyway.

Now get off the computer and get it out. You can have it at Rancho tomorrow when they open. Hopefully get it back no later then Friday.  :thumbup:

Snap ring that holds the locking coller from lifting and letting the main shaft unscrew.  

thumbnail (32).jpg

If that is all that is missing from the snap ring then you don't have much to worry about.  I don't think the coller can get lose.   That will be a easy fix because all that has tos come apart is the bellhousing.    

Edited by fastcorvairs

Lets see if Sean chimes in, but a $5 broken part could cost 3-5K if something lets loose - time to pull it in my opinion .

I have never found Stuff that just "snaps off" for no reason and everything is OK - something made it snap after a full season and Snap rings are spring steel, stuff is brittle but strong...

Its cheap insurance...

Edited by fullthrottleguy

Call Rancho and talk to Sam.  He'll have a file on your trans.  Depending on what he says you may need to pull it and have him look at it.  Sucks to pull it but as @fullthrottleguy said- it's cheap insurance and could save thousands in repair costs if caught early.

As FastCorvairs said, most likely the input shaft snapring. Odd that it would break, unless it wasn't full seated in the groove, there should not be any load on it. Most likely the other 90% of it it still in the groove and will do it's job holding the input shaft collar in place, but I would still tell you to get the trans out. 

Worst case scenario is the rest of it breaks or comes out of the groove and the collar connecting the input shaft and mainshaft slides back then you loose all drive. Input shaft will spin free but it won't be connected to the gearbox.

1 minute ago, SEAN@WEDDLE said:

As FastCorvairs said, most likely the input shaft snapring. Odd that it would break, unless it wasn't full seated in the groove, there should not be any load on it. Most likely the other 90% of it it still in the groove and will do it's job holding the input shaft collar in place, but I would still tell you to get the trans out. 

Worst case scenario is the rest of it breaks or comes out of the groove and the collar connecting the input shaft and mainshaft slides back then you loose all drive. Input shaft will spin free but it won't be connected to the gearbox.

this kind of makes sense to me. when we first got it running we had the wrong pilot bearing whish allowed the shaft to move side to side. could be the cause of the break. if that's the case went a full season on it like that.. guess I will pull it :(

You wishing you would have kept the Albins yet?

1 minute ago, r3meyer said:

You wishing you would have kept the Albins yet?

to be honest I have not been impressed with this tranny at all. I do miss the H pattern.

trans is going to Dave Folts this week Fingers crossed

18 minutes ago, BRINGENKAOS said:

trans is going to Dave Folts this week Fingers crossed

Lot's of work, but it is peace of mind. If it didn't bother you, you would not have posted rather just thrown item in trash.

Edited by Richard H

Ready to go to have surgery. Garage is full of projects right now..

20181015_195458.jpg

20181015_185301.jpg

20181015_191215.jpg

Edited by BRINGENKAOS

Glad @SEAN@WEDDLE posted up some info and good choice to pull it and send it in.  Badass garage man, wish I had that kind of space.  Shit, I wish I had half that space!

18 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

Glad @SEAN@WEDDLE posted up some info and good choice to pull it and send it in.  Badass garage man, wish I had that kind of space.  Shit, I wish I had half that space!

Yes absolutely.  I'm hoping it's just the input shaft. Cheap fix. Funny thing bout my garage. Only a couple toys are actually mine. 🤣😥

Looks all too familiar to me. I pulled mine out and sent it to Sean at Weddle about 3 weeks ago. Mine wasn't even broken and I had to pull it out. Looks like I've got about as much room as LRS 😪

IMG_1057.JPG

IMG_1058.JPG

Edited by Bc2273

6 minutes ago, BRINGENKAOS said:

Yes absolutely.  I'm hoping it's just the input shaft. Cheap fix. Funny thing bout my garage. Only a couple toys are actually mine. 🤣😥

I fell ya bro.  For a while L.R.S. aka Lievense Race Services also meant Lievense Race Storage.