tommy gunz

Advice on selling a used buggy.

Looking for some input, I really want to get mine sold.  I have had no traction here, do I need to change my add? Add pictures? I tried to be as forthcoming and informational as i could be.

I put it on Craiglist/race dezert/facebook as well, had a lot of "interest" but nothing even close to a real offer. 

Or is the market just this dry for them? If that's the case then what? If the buggy wont sell as is at anywhere near the asking price how much do i spend upgrading it? I know you never get back what you put in.  I also don't want to up grade this past the point of what the chassis will handle and have some frankensteined creation.

Any constructive criticism is appreciated.

A good place to start would be showing your add with description and pics !

Then the experts will chime in .......:moof:

Edited by JKR951

Looked at your add and it's fine. I would not send good money after it to try and sell. Never had much luck with adds on sand cars except for those that want it but really can't afford it ( unless it is a really desirable car, like Funco, SCU, Tatum). I did get positive response by displaying mine, actually sold it in one weekend. I took it out on Gecko road and sat with it on a busy weekend. I had been running adds for months prior. Just what worked for me. Also gives potential buyers a chance to ride in it and or drive it.

As with most cars that don't sell quickly- your price is high.  There isn't a big market for a non V8 with a VW trans car.  I had a 4 seat Chenowth Genesis full A arm car for a long time and sold it here a few years ago.  V6 Vortec, Rancho built 091, full body and windshield, car to car and intercom, GPS, dirt and sand tires.  Started at $18k.  Dropped the price every month until I hit $12k.  Got a lot of questions but no one ever came to see it in person.  Finally got a call from a board member here asking for my lowest price and I said $10k.   He came to see it and bought it a week later.  

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  If you've advertised it on all the sites like Craigslist, FB and here then price drops are the only way to sell it.  

There is ALWAYS a buyer for the right price.

GLWTS.

Thanks for the quick input. I don't repost the add cause I am on my phone. I can later. 

I kind of thought the same thing, it has to be price. Doubted it though due to others I had asked. I think it's the case though. I was hoping there was something i missed. I will more than likely drop the price. Again thank you guys.

I think it's partially a pricing issue, and partially an issue of low demand for what it is.

Considering a $115,000 Allstar Chassis Werx car in spotless condition (seriously - no wear, no fingerprints) with a 500+ hp Redline LS and S4S trans sold for $35,000 and a desert dynamics dual sport (3500 lb car) with 550hp and Albins sequential 5 speed, with (interchangeable) 2 rear buckets plus rear bench seat plus rear platform holding water jugs, gas jugs, tools, cooler, plus roof rack with HID lights and tool box sold for $45,000... you can see there is pretty stiff competition from the upper end of the market. Both cars sold with nearly new paddles and 35" dirt tires all on beadlocks. Both of these were cars with virtually no expense spared.

Yes, it's true that there is a butt for every seat, but most people these days are looking for something with at least a V8 and 2D trans. Those who don't have the cash are going out and financing 150hp gayolf carts for $25,000 to $30,000.

I'd lower the price to $10,000 and try to be patient. Eventually the right buyer will come along, someone who prefers your buggy instead of a SxS.  

That's what I am thinking I will do. Hardly anyone on here post's what they actually sell for so it hard to tell.  The patience part is what I struggle with.  That and the obvious scams that come from Craigslist.

Again thanks for the input and advice.

I had a buggy very similar to yours. The frame was not painted but the tins were. It was a shortstar V6 and 091 Rancho built with everything you could possibly do to it. It took me 2 years to sell. I wasn’t in a rush just hoped to get as much as I could to help fund the new build I was working on. 

I eventually sold it locally to one of my parts vendors that would see it in the shop when I would be tinkering on it. I sold it for 8500 and threw in a set of bfd’s I had tried but broke a spindle due to the heavy tire. They had one trip on them in the sand. 

Its funny, when it was about 2 years old I had a friend that liked it. We ran into each other at Pismo. I was talking about selling it and he was interested. He drove the car and loved it. I wound up telling him a mid 20k price and he told me he would do 20. 

Looking back I wish I would have sold it. I was to worried about not having a car to drive for the next season. Live and learn I guess. 

24 minutes ago, tommy gunz said:

That's what I am thinking I will do. Hardly anyone on here post's what they actually sell for so it hard to tell.  The patience part is what I struggle with.  That and the obvious scams that come from Craigslist.

Again thanks for the input and advice.

Sorry to be so bleak!

On the upside, you've got a turbo Subi engine in it, and anyone who knows anything about offroad powertrains recognizes that as the best combo for power/weight ratio/low CoG. I'd make that a more prominent part of the ad, maybe add more details about the engine. You could always try Ebay and set your reserve to whatever you want.

Good luck!

imho, you have a few things going against you. 

lack of knowledge on the trans doesnt help (full build? partial build? gear ratios?), its a beam car and everyone has a notion that you must have an A-Arm car for it to handle good in the dunes, type 1 stub axles so people worry about breaking a stub, and its a single shock car with sway-away shocks. Sway away shocks are not terrible by any means but the shock shafts like to pit and it use to be hard to get parts for them but AFE finally got production back going on that side, people just still think its hard to get parts for them. Hours on the engine and what hp/boost its setup for would help as well. 

I would say price is your biggest issue.  Your competing with 4 seat RzR's that people can get a loan for.  There are 2 methods to selling things.  Slowly drop the price over a long period of time and see what the market dictates.  Or list it for a price that its going to sell at and move on.

I am guessing it will sell for 5-7.5k

Might try selling on the Samba site too. Thats where i sold my beam car. Guy wanted one for hard pack. Not glamis. That site gets more national views as well.

Thank you for all of your opinions and suggestions. I had kind of forgot about Samba, I will try that as well. I will try relisting it on the other sites  with a little more write up on some of the items you guys have brought up. What ever I can find on it I'll add to this one as well.

You also are just coming into the 'season', not much sells during the summer.

I'd say get some new pics and update the add with a lower price

Sorry tommy. Its a nice car but beam fans like me are hard to come by. I was in the market and looking at a spotless genesis with honda and mendeola at 15k$. I see mid travel 4lwd’s all over socal for anywhere from 4-7k$. I am having child care issues so i pulled myself out of the market for this season, but there is a decent 4lwd mid travel in alpine for 5k$ i may look at. It started at 7k$ 2 months ago. Yore not the only one having trouble unloading a beam car. We are again in that economy where people have more credit than $ in the bank. A new 20k$ 4 seat rzr with warranty for 300$/month is more manageable/appealing for most right now (the thought has even crosse my mind)

Edited by sausage450r

I have a beam car and if I decided to sell I'd get killed on it. I know every spec on it as I go my own work. But for me it's easier to drop money here and there vs buy another car that I don't know it's real condition  

Just like said most think they need a v8 and a arms then you have the finance a SXS to bling out and look cool as they think. 

Some times parting out may bring in more money too if you have the time for it. 

Yea that's the hard part I have worked on this one alot so  I know it pretty well. Going to something else definitely a little scary. Never know what your getting. Thanks for the advice and insight. Gonna work on a new price and post.

I had a beam car with similar parts. Fox shocks, turbo ecotec, built 091, type 1 long stubs etc. I sold it to a buddy last season for 10.5 with no lights or headsets. Obviously I took a bath on it compared to what I had into it. But it was a dialed car and well proven. My buddy had no problem buying it off me for that price. 

10k seems to be the number, all the "offers" I have gotten have started there. None of them go anywhere is the problem, like said earlier I just may need to be a bit more patient. Season just barely started.  Thanks again for all responses. 

Still think, take it out and sit with it. So many people go out and ride with friends, get the bug and want something of there own. It is a great entry level car  to the sport  and priced right. 

33 minutes ago, Richard H said:

Still think, take it out and sit with it. So many people go out and ride with friends, get the bug and want something of there own. It is a great entry level car  to the sport  and priced right. 

This might be a good idea. When I bought my rail, I saw it out in Glamis with a "For Sale" sign on both sides. I got curious, asked a few questions and he gave me a ride in it. I bought it, and it all started with seeing it for sale in Glamis.

Yea I am definitely gonna do that.  Thought about some vinyl letters in white down the sides. 

12 minutes ago, tommy gunz said:

Yea I am definitely gonna do that.  Thought about some vinyl letters in white down the sides. 

A few slow speed runs thru the rows at the hill  right at the peak of craziness during the day with the price on the side  would get more eyeballs and wheels turning than you might imagine.

I have seen with my own eyes what happens when an opportunity presents itself.  So drive it thru the crowded area's park and wait, if anybody asks you more than two questions put them in the passenger seat and give them a ride. If they say there not sure it will fit in there trailer, drive them back to camp and put it in the trailer just to show them it does.  

Be a salesman and get it sold.

Yes seeing it in person always helps. Just had to wait for season(again the patience thing).