sandroosten

mendeola s4s clicking noise

is this normal and just not something i remember hearing or do i have a problem?

car is in neutral.

please help.

I do remember some noise when I'd rotate my 2d but it's been so long I couldn't really be sure if it was that loud?  Is it smooth or ratchety feeling?  Sean at Weddle Industries could probably tell you for sure? 

~jw

Time for a trip to the rebuilder.  When did this noise start?  Was the trans in gear when you were turning the drive flange?  Sounds a lot like spider gears.   

No Bueno. 

First thing to do it pull the drain plug and see what kind of sparkly mess you get if any at all.

There is whole list of things I can have you check before pulling the trans, but lets get through the easy stuff first.

The next thing I would check after pulling the oil is the reverse arm on the drivers side. Disconnect the cable and manually push the arm in and out of engagement to see if you can feel the detent. All the way forward would be disengaged, towards the bell housing is engaged. Maybe put your hand on that arm when pushed forward and turn the flange like you do in the video and see if you can feel anything there. It possible that the detent fell out or the cable needs to be adjusted.

Probably easier to call me after you check those items for the next steps.

She gone! Time to go under the knife.

yes this is normal

only because it has coarse diff gears,

and to make sure it is normal we pulled it completely apart supper smooth not pitting and the shims look brand new,

some spider gears just sound coarse,

On 10/18/2018 at 9:25 AM, SEAN@WEDDLE said:

It possible that the detent fell out or the cable needs to be adjusted.

Stupid detent balls falling out of place...

On 10/18/2018 at 11:25 AM, SEAN@WEDDLE said:

First thing to do it pull the drain plug and see what kind of sparkly mess you get if any at all.

There is whole list of things I can have you check before pulling the trans, but lets get through the easy stuff first.

The next thing I would check after pulling the oil is the reverse arm on the drivers side. Disconnect the cable and manually push the arm in and out of engagement to see if you can feel the detent. All the way forward would be disengaged, towards the bell housing is engaged. Maybe put your hand on that arm when pushed forward and turn the flange like you do in the video and see if you can feel anything there. It possible that the detent fell out or the cable needs to be adjusted.

Probably easier to call me after you check those items for the next steps.

Now that Sean Mentioned this it all comes back.  While I had mine apart and was jacking with it, I could reproduce this sound with my S4.  The detente mite be OK but the reverse arm don't have a big enough dog leg to stay in the slot of the reverse gear if at anytime the reverse arm has been pushed to it's over travel  limits the reverse gear will fall forward and try to engage.  

This is the small dog leg that engages the slot in the reverse gear.  It is possible that it is out of the slot and resting behind it. 

thumbnail (69).jpg

Edited by fastcorvairs
New picture