Jump to content
Conrad

Camp RZR- stay far away...

Recommended Posts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok here we go! Devin, first I was in no way “slamming” Polaris. And in fact I do appreciate that they’re investing in the dunes by purchasing the store. Second, even if I was slamming them I don’t see how that makes me or anyone else “hypocritical.” Third, now that you’ve opened this can of worms. My first trip to Glamis was memorial weekend in 1974. Yes, 1974. I have seen the changes over the years and perhaps I long for the old days when the place was waaay more laid back. No overzealous rangers, smaller crowds and less rude ass campers. So with that being said, I remember watching Crusty Demons of Dirt in 1995 (on a VHS tape no less) and the guys were at the “trendy dunes,” and even THEN I was like oh shit here we go, this place is going to blow up. Then there were the party’s at the pit (competition hill) where assholes were digging trenches so you would wreck or get stuck, burning OHVs to the ground and it was one big effing mess til the law clamped down. So if anyone ever wonders why there’s such a HUGE presence of LEOs and BLM at the dunes this is one of the main reasons. 

Since you didn’t ask, my opinion on camp rzr? It’s awesome that they display the vehicles and offer test drives and will repair your cart on the spot. But. Live concerts, a big party and a a fireworks display? If I wanted that shit I’d just stay home and go to Disneyland. I go to the dunes to escape that crap and in fact refuse to bring a tv along. This type of event brings in non-duners that makes the CAMPING turn into the shit show as I referenced with that image. Some of those people dgaf and trash the place leaving it to the folks that are truly passionate about the dunes (dare I say LOVE the place) to clean up after them. Many people enjoy the event, it just ain’t for me. There was a day when guys built their own sand cars, and the only thing to finance was ATCs/odysseys/dirt bikes. Now anybody with a few thousand dollars down can get into a cart with amazing long travel suspension and an automatic (gasp!) trans. Easy to drive and easy to wreck. I think they’re awesome and will buy a Textron XX 4 seater when they release them. I’m just not a fan of the commercialization of Glamis, but there’s no stopping it. Now get off my lawn! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Ok here we go! Devin, first I was in no way “slamming” Polaris. And in fact I do appreciate that they’re investing in the dunes by purchasing the store. Second, even if I was slamming them I don’t see how that makes me or anyone else “hypocritical.” Third, now that you’ve opened this can of worms. My first trip to Glamis was memorial weekend in 1974. Yes, 1974. I have seen the changes over the years and perhaps I long for the old days when the place was waaay more laid back. No overzealous rangers, smaller crowds and less rude ass campers. So with that being said, I remember watching Crusty Demons of Dirt in 1995 (on a VHS tape no less) and the guys were at the “trendy dunes,” and even THEN I was like oh shit here we go, this place is going to blow up. Then there were the party’s at the pit (competition hill) where assholes were digging trenches so you would wreck or get stuck, burning OHVs to the ground and it was one big effing mess til the law clamped down. So if anyone ever wonders why there’s such a HUGE presence of LEOs and BLM at the dunes this is one of the main reasons. 

Since you didn’t ask, my opinion on camp rzr? It’s awesome that they display the vehicles and offer test drives and will repair your cart on the spot. But. Live concerts, a big party and a a fireworks display? If I wanted that shit I’d just stay home and go to Disneyland. I go to the dunes to escape that crap and in fact refuse to bring a tv along. This type of event brings in non-duners that makes the CAMPING turn into the shit show as I referenced with that image. Some of those people dgaf and trash the place leaving it to the folks that are truly passionate about the dunes (dare I say LOVE the place) to clean up after them. Many people enjoy the event, it just ain’t for me. There was a day when guys built their own sand cars, and the only thing to finance was ATCs/odysseys/dirt bikes. Now anybody with a few thousand dollars down can get into a cart with amazing long travel suspension and an automatic (gasp!) trans. Easy to drive and easy to wreck. I think they’re awesome and will buy a Textron XX 4 seater when they release them. I’m just not a fan of the commercialization of Glamis, but there’s no stopping it. Now get off my lawn! 

Post of the month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conrad make some very good points and a lot of what I dislike about the whole SXS craze and Poolaris, the commercialization or better word exploitation of Glamis. As for donating an RZR to the ASA by a Billion dollar corporation by comparison is like one of us donating a dollar. Now when they drop a check for a 100k or more to the ASA I'll change my tune. Maybe when Poolaris does something about the trash from broken belt scattered across the dunes from their product and dirt bag owners I start to feel they are doing something kinda positive. I don't just dislike their SxS's I also can't stand really any of their lame ass machines.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While Conrad does have some excellent points, his concern about the exploitation of glamis started long before Polaris came along, and in fact Polaris really isn't doing anything to exploit glamis itself, it's just bringing it's event to one of the places where a lot of their customers use their Rzrs. If we're really worried about too much exposure and too many disrespectful, litterbug newbies, we have to ask ourselves: how many people are watching youtube videos and deciding to check it out based on how much fun they saw in the videos?

While Camp Rzr can be a cluster fluck for those who yearn for days of old when we didn't have to buy passes or deal with too many rangers, again, Camp Rzr and Polaris aren't to blame for either of those problems. I don't like big crowds and I'd recommend anyone who doesn't like them either just do what I'm planning on doing: stay away from it.

There are plenty of people who will enjoy the event, more power to them! No sense in hating on them or the event, just go dune or play in the dirt somewhere else that weekend.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Polaris wants to "donate" to the dunes, how about the pony up some of the the high priced attorneys the have on retainer for a SH!T TON of pro bono action lead by the ASA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own a Polaris i guess that makes me a dirt bag. Heck I own two Polaris machines. I’m reallly screwed. It’s amazing on how your choice of vehicle you drive in the dunes makes you a certain type of person. I have a BFD sandcar also but  I will probably drive the rzr  to camp this coming weekend and  have a good time doing so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We want the old days back again. People new to this activity, with their factory built, store bought and probable financed toys are going to be looking back 30 years from now saying, I want the old days back. Seems as time marches faster then our ability to accept the change it brings.

I still love the dunes.

Edited by Richard H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

If Polaris wants to "donate" to the dunes, how about the pony up some of the the high priced attorneys the have on retainer for a SH!T TON of pro bono action lead by the ASA.

That's an excellent idea! Too bad the leadership of the ASA never think of anything like that. I'd love to hear all of the excuses they give you for why they never thought of it or tried it. I used to suggest all kinds of stuff, like going after corporate donations from all of the quad mfrs, truck mfrs and toyhauler mfrs, getting the ISDRA passes repealed, asking for donations at Gecko rd, etc, but they had every excuse in the book for why they never try anything. They did admit since they have no money, they have a bottom of the barrel attorney and share a lobbyist with ORBS.

I'd be more inclined to let Polaris lead the fight for reduced rangers, straighten out that stupid closed area zigzag mess down in Patton Valley, open the tunnel under wash 10 and repeal the ISDRA pass, like members of the CBD did with the Adventure Pass. Both were enacted with the same legislation and could have been repealed together, but somehow the lobbyist who's supposed to be monitoring all offroad legal actions missed that big, easy win.

Oops, my extreme disappointment is showing through again. I guess it's because newcomers to the dunes can be forgiven for their ignorance, they can potentially learn, especially from their mistakes. I'm not anywhere near as forgiving about incompetence, especially with a long running 100% failure rate.

Let's hope Polaris steps up, they're actually motivated to do something!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Richard H said:

We want the old days back again. People new to this activity, with their factory built, store bought and probable financed toys are going to be looking back 30 years from now saying, I want the old days back. Seems as time marches faster then our ability to accept the change it brings.

I still love the dunes.

I'd hate to see what kind of cluster fluck is out there 30 yrs from now that makes people want these days back!

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My kids (now young adults) still love riding their quads, (I even purchased an x3rs for them to drive access the sand with more protection but they grew up on quads and prefer the freedom...)  unfortunately is the only weekend my daughter has off of grad school / work till the new year. No way on this earth I would put them anywhere near such a concentration of partying new duners riding the new good economy wave... So it does effect many not involved, and I think with all the accidents (even on the demo rides) and social media it is has a negative impact on the hobby.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, raspadoo said:

My kids (now young adults) still love riding their quads, (I even purchased an x3rs for them to drive access the sand with more protection but they grew up on quads and prefer the freedom...)  unfortunately is the only weekend my daughter has off of grad school / work till the new year. No way on this earth I would put them anywhere near such a concentration of partying new duners riding the new good economy wave... So it does effect many not involved, and I think with all the accidents (even on the demo rides) and social media it is has a negative impact on the hobby.  

Halloween weekend has always been the "Idiot crash and burn weekend." At least as far back as I can remember, 2003. That has nothing to do with Polaris. They just happened to pick a busy weekend which happens to be the start of the season for many. Especially the accident prone. Sometimes people working on their educations have to make some sacrifices. I know I sacrificed a lot for 14 yrs to finally finish my degree.

As for affecting those not involved, I'll have to ask for clarification. If someone is sitting at home watching TV while Doofus is out wrecking his brand new Rzr on Halloween weekend, I don't see how it has any affect on the couch potato. Certainly no more so than starving kids in Liberia bother me while watching a sitcom. As far as UTV accidents being shown on social media, that ship has sailed from every port on the planet, not just Camp Rzr. UTV crash videos are everywhere, from every state in the union and plenty of foreign countries. They're all over youtube and FB and really, Camp Rzr has virtually no bearing on it. Even if every single rollover or crash that weekend were posted online, it would be an infinitesimal percentage of the massive flood of UTV crash videos nationwide.

Glamis is not the only offroad playground, and it isn't the center of the universe.  Camp Rzr is really only as much of a bother to you as you make of it. I won't be there, it won't bother me at all. Not even one molecule.

Maybe this is the year to check out Buttercup, Superstition, or Ocotillo Wells.

Edited by socaldmax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, desertboring said:

I own a Polaris i guess that makes me a dirt bag. Heck I own two Polaris machines. I’m reallly screwed. It’s amazing on how your choice of vehicle you drive in the dunes makes you a certain type of person. I have a BFD sandcar also but  I will probably drive the rzr  to camp this coming weekend and  have a good time doing so. 

Not what I said. If you leave your broken CVT belt laying in the dunes then yeah you  are a dirt bag! If you pick up after yourself and have some respect of the dunes then you're just a guy that makes bad decisions.   :lol: 

The one good thing about SxS's is we can make fun of them and watch them crash in epic fashion.  I especially like the idiot standing at the bottom waiting till the last second to move. He must own the Yamaha. :funny:  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was EPIC!

:lmao:

 

Also, not in Glamis or during Camp Rzr, proving my previous point.

Edited by socaldmax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

Halloween weekend has always been the "Idiot crash and burn weekend." At least as far back as I can remember, 2003. That has nothing to do with Polaris. 

This is true. There where years late 90s early 2000's, where Halloween weekend was more crowded then Thanksgiving weekend. Now add camp cluster f*&% and the massive assclown (BLM) presence and I'll just wait till the Tuesday after to go out.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, socaldmax said:

Halloween weekend has always been the "Idiot crash and burn weekend." At least as far back as I can remember, 2003. That has nothing to do with Polaris. They just happened to pick a busy weekend which happens to be the start of the season for many. Especially the accident prone. Sometimes people working on their educations have to make some sacrifices. I know I sacrificed a lot for 14 yrs to finally finish my degree.

As for affecting those not involved, I'll have to ask for clarification. If someone is sitting at home watching TV while Doofus is out wrecking his brand new Rzr on Halloween weekend, I don't see how it has any affect on the couch potato. Certainly no more so than starving kids in Liberia bother me while watching a sitcom. As far as UTV accidents being shown on social media, that ship has sailed from every port on the planet, not just Camp Rzr. UTV crash videos are everywhere, from every state in the union and plenty of foreign countries. They're all over youtube and FB and really, Camp Rzr has virtually no bearing on it. Even if every single rollover or crash that weekend were posted online, it would be an infinitesimal percentage of the massive flood of UTV crash videos nationwide.

Glamis is not the only offroad playground, and it isn't the center of the universe.  Camp Rzr is really only as much of a bother to you as you make of it. I won't be there, it won't bother me at all. Not even one molecule.

Maybe this is the year to check out Buttercup, Superstition, or Ocotillo Wells.

My opinion / situation, simple math really, you take an already busy weekend and throw thousands more inexperienced people out there and the odds of an incident are increased. It does effect me because it tilts MY scale of exposure to risk enough to refrain me from going out. Why do you continuously try to pick apart so may posts on here? Your 2 cents dissecting my opinion and so many others is not a benefit to the site whatsoever. Cheers

edit to add: never-mind the question as I don't care to hear the answer.

Edited by raspadoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, raspadoo said:

My opinion / situation, simple math really, you take an already busy weekend and throw thousands more inexperienced people out there and the odds of an incident are increased. It does effect me because it tilts MY scale of exposure to risk enough to refrain me from going out. Why do you continuously try to pick apart so may posts on here? Your 2 cents dissecting my opinion and so many others is not a benefit to the site whatsoever. Cheers

edit to add: never-mind the question as I don't care to hear the answer.

I just asked for clarification so I can understand your position better. You gave it - the added crowds tip the scales enough for you to change your mind from going out that weekend. I was looking at it from my standpoint - Halloween weekend is full of idiots, so I stopped going just based on that, before Camp Rzr ever came along. Now I understand where you're coming from.

We're just having a friendly discussion here, I'm not picking anyone apart. All I ask of anyone is to have some facts or logic behind their opinion, which you clearly do. If I was picking anyone apart, it would be very obvious and far different than this.

I hope you were open minded enough to consider some of the other places I mentioned.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, socaldmax said:

I'd hate to see what kind of cluster fluck is out there 30 yrs from now that makes people want these days back!

:lol:

Back in the days you could drive it yourself. Not go out and ride in your automated driverless sand rail or toy.  Just wait, soon we all will be deemed to flawed to operate these hi performance machines.  Law enforcement will allow us out there as long as our toys have the auto drive function.  Those participants will think, boy wish I could drive this thing, like the old days. Glad I'll be out of the sport or on the wrong side of the lawn by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been going to Glamis for 35 years now, and I have yet to see an "idiot free" holiday weekend. Like others have experienced over the years, times and fads change. I started with ATCs, then of course those that bought "quads" when they came out in '85, were sissies because they had to have four wheels under them. Then the economy changes. People that had never driven a sand car, refinancing their homes and buying a high horsepower long travel 3000 lb. car and hitting the dunes with ZERO experience! I know several people that fell into this category, and that  was scary. Today we still have idiots IN and ON all types of vehicles in the dunes that drive without regard for other peoples safety. Though I personally  have no desire to own a SXS, they're here and are a big part of the  off road community. 

Just another change in the times at the  dunes.    Just my 2 cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of Child-like complaining from Grown men. 

How embarrassing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man mrknnee you took the words right out of my mouth! I remember when people who had never been to the desert before were pulling money on homes to buy big hp longtravel cars. That was scary but I guess as long as you buy a buggy your allowed to be a douche bag. As for trash, our dunes have been littered with trash long before sxs came along. I'm sure there are billions of cigarette butts in our dunes from everyone that seems to think it's just one huge ashtray. Hell if we want to break down who the biggest assholes are, let's keep track of all the beer cans we find scattered around. The best way to deal with camp rzr if you don't like it is to just stay away. As many of you know, I own a rzr. You won't catch me there. I go to the desert to ride and not to watch a shit show. That's why I don't camp at Glamis at all. Too many people doing too many dumb things. Not bashing Glamis at all, I grew up there. It wasn't until I started my family that I decided the party scene wasn't for me anymore. I guess I'm just trying to say that you can always camp somewhere else that weekend, and have a great time, avoiding the shit show all together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mrknnee said:

I've been going to Glamis for 35 years now, and I have yet to see an "idiot free" holiday weekend. Like others have experienced over the years, times and fads change. I started with ATCs, then of course those that bought "quads" when they came out in '85, were sissies because they had to have four wheels under them. Then the economy changes. People that had never driven a sand car, refinancing their homes and buying a high horsepower long travel 3000 lb. car and hitting the dunes with ZERO experience! I know several people that fell into this category, and that  was scary. Today we still have idiots IN and ON all types of vehicles in the dunes that drive without regard for other peoples safety. Though I personally  have no desire to own a SXS, they're here and are a big part of the  off road community. 

Just another change in the times at the  dunes.    Just my 2 cents.

The down side to a good economy. I started going to the dunes just a few years before this, it was very noticeable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sooooo.....wait a minute.......wait just a minute!  If this were a sandrail event, would it not be a chit show? Would their be more respectful campers?  Would it be avoided by SxS'ers.  It really is too bad that sandrail manufactures cant pull off an event like this, I would  like to see diack bag campers and drivers from both sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Grease Monkey said:

giphy.gif

She needs to open wide if she is going to handle that many wieners at once...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...