JohnnyAirtime

In Search Of "the Man With The Video Camera"

Okay all,

I didn't know where to post a "looking for..." thread, so I thought I'd start here.

There's a story behind this. Let me start with the story, as it sets the mood.

(originally this started in another thread, but that thread was moved or deleted)

jj-glamis-2.jpg

Here's the story;

That day, of all the pics I have (3 rolls worth) was December 30th of 1995. I jumped that dune about 20 or more times for the pictures... and it was on my 3 day old CR500 with a knobby tire. 5th gear ... with lots of throttle. It was only after we were done watching Crusty Demons (#1) that I saw Glamis in a whole new light, which was also a day before we headed out to the dez.

On December 31st... New Years Eve, the very next day... I was doing this jump once again but now mid day. I had an audience, and was even more pumped. The day we had arrived at G, I saw Jeff Emig and some others jumping where I was. Which also got me rolling on that jump. However, where I'm landing on this jump (into a huge bowl)... is where the approach to the Emig jump is. I attempted the Emig jump later that day with the crowd... and made a slight error. That error was to roll off the throttle just enough to not G out on the face of the lip. Ya know, the transition from bowl to ramp kinda thing. Well, that little bit of slow down... caused me to come up short and land on the face of the next dune. (kind of like the double jump behind OLDs thats very common... but a tad longer, and harder). That landing broke my ankles (still on the pegs of the bike), my ribs (on the bars, which bent profusely), and ripped some embryiotic fluid sack in my head. I woke after about 20min and rode my Banshee (that my friend taking the pictures was riding) back to camp, which was right off 78 by Osborne overlook. I didn't know I was so hurt until I sat and watched my friends get ready for dinner. Still sitting on the Banshee... I fell off when I tried to stand and join them. Within 20 or so minutes we were loaded and headed for a SD hospital.

It was a rough night spending New Years Eve in the hospital.

More rough when the doc asked me to take my boots off, and he'd be back in 5 minutes! My dad assisted the yanking of the boots... while nurses looked on in a disspelled manner. IT FRIGGIN hurt like h@ll.

After the hospital... I then spent a couple months on my parents living room floor (mom moved a twin mattress out for me) where she'd bath my head/hair and wash me like a nurse. Bathroom? Well... a mini urinal thing was for that. #2? Nope... the Vicodin took care of that. Ya I know.. gross... but you don't think of those things when your about to hit the lip of a jump... now I do. Because now I can't snowboard, snowski, wakeboard... etc. Nor is it cool to run in sand or where I rely on strong ankles. They pop all the time, I can't put lateral pressure on them, the don't bend too well... etc..etc.

jj-ouch.jpg

The worst part of that whole thing.... there's a guy, some stranger that was video'ing the jumping. HE HAS VIDEO of me crashing!! I never met him, however he's in a picture my friend took of me in the air. His back to the camera. He's got the whole thing on video ... and I want it!! I'd love so much to be able to see just how it all laid out. I mapped the still pictures to see just how far the jump was... and maybe what went wrong (other than just not enough throttle...etc)... and damn, it's a loooong jump over a huge gulley between bowls.

So people... help me out on this one. Somewhere, someplace is a guy with video of that crash... those jumps. And is someone going to know it's me on the bike?? Well check this; when I left the lip of that jump, I knew I was coming up short. And IN THE AIR... I yelled out "Oh Sh1t!!!". My friends all standing on the landing heard it. SO it should be on the video too. Pass the word to see if I can find this masked man.

Here's the pic with the "man I'm looking for"... do you know him??? (sorry it's such a large shot... I wanted to make sure it was clear and legible)

Glamisjump1995.jpg

The below pictures show what was supposed to have happened:

Here's the approach to the first gap landing... and what Bowl I was jumping into from the first jump. In this pic you can see that I'd fly off the first jump, land ... then launch out of that next bowl over the next gap. And that next gap, is what I'd take for the ankle breaker. It's to the right of me in the pic. Right below me in the pic is our camp... it's also how I saw Emig and crew hittin' the dunes the days prior.

jj-glamis-6.jpg

This picture is lined up with white dots for the approach to the second gap... and a single white dot where I was suppose to land.

So imagine... jump first gap, land on downside into next bowl... gas it, and launch out of bowl over 'ankle breaker gap'.

Glamisjump19953launchmarker.jpg

This last picture shows a side shot of the overall "ankle breaking gap"... and with me actually sitting in the sand that day, post crash.... wondering what just happened. By now, everyone had left as my friends said they'd take care of me. These days... we'd have EMS all over the place. :)

Glamisjump19953sideview.jpg

PASS the word!!!!

Edited by JAT Products

My ankles hurt just hearing the story. Good luck finding the vid.

Insane............................Sorry you body hasn't recovered well.

I broke both of my ankles at the same time racing District 37, back in 1986. If only the flag people saw me coming, they were a bit late letting me know there was a huge ditch, needless to say I crashed hard! The good thing is, the flag people came over, started my bike for me, I got on and raced another 30 miles or so on my seat and finished in 3rd place. When I stopped, I couldn't support my weight with my feet, I just fell over on the ground. I still remember that pain. blink.gif

Insane............................Sorry you body hasn't recovered well.

I broke both of my ankles at the same time racing District 37, back in 1986. If only the flag people saw me coming, they were a bit late letting me know there was a huge ditch, needless to say I crashed hard! The good thing is, the flag people came over, started my bike for me, I got on and raced another 30 miles or so on my seat and finished in 3rd place. When I stopped, I couldn't support my weight with my feet, I just fell over on the ground. I still remember that pain. blink.gif

lol... those damn district races...

I broke out my front tooth because of an idiot coming the other way on the D38 course... laughing.gif Oh well.

And ya, kind of funny how the pain nor the ability to NOT use your ankles takes a bit after you do that kind of damage.

Ya know I gotts say it reminds me of Doug Dixon (King Glamis) from the back-at THIS age. At the time though he would have been early 20's and even for now the torso is a bit too "thick" . But, either way, Doug may be a good place to start at being the ex-editor of SandSports. Even if he didn't shoot the vid, maybe he had someone show it to him etc...

Good luck finding your masked man icon_smile.gif

that was such a good read.... sorry I cant help with the vid... I wish I had footage of my "BIG" crash too.... I can remember it until the part where I blacked out...

Someone will remember the 'video guys' shirt for sure! GOOD LUCK!

Edited by devilsslide

put it on the ASA site as well !

Good luck bro headbang.gif

wasnt me, but you're nuts. beer.gif

sick pics man

thanks all...

You're giving me a big head.

Well... big then, not now. laughing.gif

wasnt me, but you're nuts. beer.gif

Yeah, there is something not quite right about John! headbang.gif

That looks fimiliar....A few months before you did that, I broke my right leg (tib fib in 1/2). I was laying on my parents floor on a futon w/a piss container and a full thing of vicodin icon_biggrin.gif . No cast (at least after 3 days when they did the surgery), but I did have a very swole up leg with 13 staples and 2 nasty fracture blisters. Got really fckn good at video games in time. Right when you did yours was whenI was going back to work after my accident. plthumbsdown.gifplthumbsdown.gif

wow, did just like in that crusty video huh? laughing.gif good luck in your search. almost looks like chef

Good luck bro

That's some major air. Sucks you got hurt so bad.

Sorry, I can't help identify the video camera guy.

wasnt me, but you're nuts.  beer.gif

Yeah, there is something not quite right about John! headbang.gif

lol...

whatevvvva brutha!!!

We have yet to ride/drive together!!

You goin out this weekend??

PM me and let me know what's up... I'll be there Sunday only. But able to move about as I'm travelling light. Only me, my woman... and a flatbed. NO gas guzzling 30' WW behind me. bandit.gif

Talk to me Goose...

Maverick out.

Ive been out there with John and he is or at least was crazy!!! I still remember him rolling his buggy at comp, not to mention the crazy air on his CR500!!! Notworthy.gif

when i watched the first crusty for the first time i was just like cool, right on. not lets get my 60hp dirtbike and try it. tongue.gif

you ever jump the sand dam at superstition, johny?

Ive been out there with John and he is or at least was crazy!!!  I still remember him rolling his buggy at comp, not to mention the crazy air on his CR500!!! Notworthy.gif

Holy crap.. you remember the buggy roll???

What... about 2:30am ... me, Jimmy (passenger) and the Captain?!

Oh boy... don't drink and drive. I learned my lesson!!

Do you know, that was the first trip out... and my GF at the time was soooo pissed she didn't get a ride in it!! (Cage crushed .060 tubing, rear tires/wheels ruined, blah blah...) I have pictures of the car afterwards AND BEFORE thank goodness!!!

That thing ended up back in the hands of State Farm (yes, FULL coverage took over) after me, my wife at the time, and a witches eye came into contact upwards of 3rd gear.... EEeeesh... it was ugly.

Man... we need to have that 'catch up' beer!!!

AND OH YA....

You're not the most sane guy I know either!! blink.gif

I think one of your marbles broke free back in the day in San Felipe... over too many shots of Cuervo!!! laughing.gif

Edited by JohnnyAirtime

you ever jump the sand dam at superstition, johny?

WHY YES!!

Thats where I used to ride before Glamis...

I tended to Superstition first, on a 1994 YZ250 (all yellow) with yellow JT riding pants. Usually said "Double J" on the pants.

Sand Dam... 1985ish;

SandDam1984.jpg

Then I moved up to the 1998 CR5hundy... and continued to do the dam!! That jump was killer. I'll see if I can muster up some of those pics. They're in my shed, in a photo album. When I got the other pics (in the story line) out to scan... I came across some interesting stuff. I need to put it all up on my site. Too funny. ...the darn rain is getting to the pics... So I need to rescue them asap!

After the '98 CR... I went and bought a '94 Banshee. Rode 4 wheels for a while and then sold it... due to a Salt Water Coral Tank envy (260g tank, now sits in downtown SD in the Blue Tattoo club behind the bar) that cost me huge $$.

I then started riding again, after a couple years of fishtank mind melts... and bought my Banshee back. Didn't like it and bought a CR250. Hated that... and bought a '96 CR500. Thats when I took it out and jumped the dune at Glamis... it was 3 days old. Brand friggin new. In fact, in the pics... you might see there's a guy sittin on my 5, with a CR250 next to it. The guy snappin' the pics is on my Banshee. After the crash, I sold the 250 and kept the Bansh and 5hundy. Later making the 5 a street registered bike. Now that was killer!!

Oh.. back to superstition.

YA... loved jumping the dam. Loved it!!

I've even got some old video on VHS from it... as well as those still pics.

Wow... memories.

(sorry for rambling... but I got on a roll!)

WHY do ya ask???

Edited by JohnnyAirtime

when i watched the first crusty for the first time i was just like cool, right on. not lets get my 60hp dirtbike and try it. tongue.gif

laughing.giflaughing.gif

And they're only like upper 40, lower 50 horses...!! icon_biggrin.gif

laughing.giflaughing.gif

i was there watching a guy on a blue 426 yami (might of been 450) jumping down the sand dam one time a couple years back. guy was NUTS! thought it might of been you when i saw the pics of the jumping down test above and i remember you saying you visit super a lot at atvconnection.

how about the double at the flats at super? thats a weird jump but i see guys do it.

i was there watching a guy on a blue 426 yami (might of been 450) jumping down the sand dam one time a couple years back. guy was NUTS! thought it might of been you when i saw the pics of the jumping down test above and i remember you saying you visit super a lot at atvconnection.

how about the double at the flats at super? thats a weird jump but i see guys do it.

Hmmm... nope. No yami in blue for me.

But ya got pics of the "nut"??? That'd be cool.

Double at Super's flats?? Not sure I've seen it.

And... I used to jump a lot at Patton (Gordon's Well) a few years back. In fact... it was just before I sold the CR5 and went to all 4 strokes. I also lost it upon landing a 4th gear downhill there at Patton... More like an "OOooohhh gawd... this is gonna hurt" as I went down...down...down the face of Patton. Too sideways in the air to correct.... I landed on the gas (WFO) and tried to straighten it. Uhh, nope! Ended up AT the BOTTOM in a bush after all said and done. Now, if you look at Patton... to the right side is the bush or bushes I ended up in. And look again, that's a friggin lonnnnng way down. I didn't even think I was launching that far until I saw marks in the sand of where I was landing. Given, I wasn't landing ALL the way at the bottom... that was just my body and bike cart wheeling that distance. I was landing more than half way down... which to me was quite some distance. That day, I screwed up my knees... MCL and Miniscus inner and outer. Ankles survived again. Oh, and my bike was a pretzel. Lots O' $$ in repairs. Now I wear Asterix knee braces. Hmmm, another lesson learned. laughing.gif I did love the ride back to camp on my bent bike icon_biggrin.gif , with my legs I couldn't use... VERY interesting ride (we were camped in the campground by PairO'Dice). Couldn't stand or walk for day while I stayed to chew Vicodin. Why go home? How lame. I stayed for another day before heading home to the hospital (Smart guy huh!?)

I've not jumped at Test... the one at Gordons. Nor Buttercup's Comp. But I have done the canal at Glamis... and down Olds a bunch of times, and have not tried the double behind Olds. It's now kinda lame and broken down. Too bad. Now I've got the bike to do it (CRF450). When it was good, I wasn't gonna do it on my XR650. That'd be NUTS!

I may be gettin' old... but I still look for the WOW factor in a dune to dune jump. Or try to go bigger... and better (than most my age) to prove to myself that I still got it. I sure hope it doesn't land me somewhere in ICU anytime soon.

what's more odd... I was out yesterday from work. My lower back has been acting up!!! Damn. After 30... everything just gives up! Or... has it been the abuse my body had taken?! laughing.giflaughing.gif

Uhhmmm... anyone find that "Video Guy" yet?!?! laughing.gif

(a little off topic I guess. And man, I go off when talking myself up huh?!?!)

dry.gif

Edited by JohnnyAirtime

was there watching a guy on a blue 426 yami (might of been 450) jumping down the sand dam one time a couple years back. guy was NUTS! thought it might of been you when i saw the pics of the jumping down test above and i remember you saying you visit super a lot at atvconnection.

sounds familiar... whenever we camp at the railroad tracks in Ocotillo, we ride to superstion and 2 of us do the 'Sand Dam' jump.... a couple of time we got the whole place goin!... (cheering, oooohs and ahhhhss)... wonder if that was you when we were there.... by buddy overjumped it way to much on his last jump and landed 3/4 of the way down the hill!... Everybody was pulling their hair out over that one... He racked his nuts pretty good!

Edited by devilsslide