Anyone besides me happy to see Honda get into the performance sxs market? I'm looking forward to seeing what the future brings for them. What say you?

Competition is always good. 

I think its awesome, curious to see the motor package, etc.

Seems the thought is it will use the Africa Twin motor that is about 95hp, the Pioneer motor is not ideal and only about 72hp (too much low end).

Of course a Three cylinder motor would be nice...Official Honda release is in NOV.

https://utvactionmag.com/the-engine-in-hondas-new-talon/

58 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

Seems the thought is it will use the Africa Twin motor that is about 95hp, the Pioneer motor is not ideal and only about 72hp (too much low end).

Of course a Three cylinder motor would be nice...Official Honda release is in NOV.

https://utvactionmag.com/the-engine-in-hondas-new-talon/

95 HP!?

Honda releases more farm equipment and not a sport side x side the Honda fanboys have wished for... :lmao:

7 minutes ago, Yarder said:

95 HP!?

Honda releases more farm equipment and not a sport side x side the Honda fanboys have wished for... :lmao:

But they sell more farm equipment than Can Am, Polaris and Yamaha combined..... Why bother with a small niche market where they have a ton of competition? 

I read there will be a n/a version and turbo version. Turbo would be 150hp+? Also, 20" travel estimated along with chain driven with paddle shifters. Nothing confirmed. Will have to wait and see!

Competition is good for the market, so are more options for consumers.

12 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

Competition is good for the market, so are more options for consumers.

Not according to the govt

7 hours ago, MWB said:

But they sell more farm equipment than Can Am, Polaris and Yamaha combined..... Why bother with a small niche market where they have a ton of competition? 

I doubt the Honda Pioneer out sells the Polaris  Ranger line in the farm community.  Most of Polaris market share is in the Utility segment. 

Honda will come in with 115-125hp to be competitive with all the other non-turbo sport offerings.

I am looking forward to this. More competition is indeed good.

Wife got her new kitchen and is doing new floors, we are on a "plan" to sell and leave California (rural NorCal) in 5 years and this put a new SXS out about 2 model years for me. I really hope the Honda turbo Talon is a player. Everything  I have ever owned that was stamped Honda has been dead nut reliable and worked as advertised. At my age (60)  the next one will probably be the last as I have a couple of long dormant hot rod projects that need to get in line before I check out.

Edited by SoCalJ
RDSUX

On 10/23/2018 at 4:30 PM, Sand Shark said:

I doubt the Honda Pioneer out sells the Polaris  Ranger line in the farm community.  Most of Polaris market share is in the Utility segment. 

Honda will come in with 115-125hp to be competitive with all the other non-turbo sport offerings.

104hp confirmed, while HP is a factor, there is a market for a sport honda sxs.

best model comparison for the Honda Talon is as other said the Yamaha yxz

A lot of good features on the talon, great for folks who are looking for that type of machine. Pretty cool & I'm sure it will be a fun reliable sxs. But (always the big ole but) huge miss for those wanting a dune ripping x-3 killer. People really want a Japanese X-3. No MFG  with the exception of canam and Polaris is brave enough to give the people the high performance machine they really want ( I know it's a limited market with high liability).

Hoping the next evolution of machines goes a level above the current offerings as I'm waiting for something that addresses the known shortfalls in build quality, protection, comfort (cab size), along with a real power to weight ratio. Honda is closer to providing this for sure , but I really would like some real HP potential.

21 hours ago, CRUSTY said:

104hp confirmed, while HP is a factor, there is a market for a sport honda sxs.

best model comparison for the Honda Talon is as other said the Yamaha yxz

I missed my hp guess by just a little bit.  LOL!   

Motor guys should have fun trying to squeeze out some ponies.

3 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

I missed my hp guess by just a little bit.  LOL!   

Motor guys should have fun trying to squeeze out some ponies.

I don't think it's going to have anywhere near the power potential of the YXZ, XX, or X-3. That's where they really missed the mark IMHO. Either way, a lot of cool engineering there.

I really wanted to like this.. It looks like an offroad electric stinkbug car.  haha..

Guess we will see what the aftermarket does with the looks.

234087.jpg

18D9B6E4-2F18-4E7C-B815-2D907415CE71.jpeg

On 11/28/2018 at 7:11 PM, kennerz said:

I don't think it's going to have anywhere near the power potential of the YXZ, XX, or X-3. That's where they really missed the mark IMHO. Either way, a lot of cool engineering there.

I agree.  The YXZ motor is corked up some and responds to a pipe and fuel tuner.  Honda is not know to respond significantly until you crack into the motor. 

I think the trans options is going to save this unit ..maybe we will have some demo rides out in Glamis soon 

There is something to be said for slow and steady.  

I'm happy that Honda is entering the marketplace.  I admit I didn't even know that Yamaha was out there when I was shopping for my first SxS in October 2018.  I hope that all this competition makes someone create a little bigger engine, and that is what I'll be looking for when I decide to upgrade.  

I checked them out and sat in both of them at Supercross.  Nice piece...

$19,999 for the X, 20,999 for the R.

Price is right, they're gonna sell a shitload.

IMG_5932.thumb.JPG.2ea6cb762c335161188415ad3b6c72eb.JPG