At least it appears to have low range. Going to need much bigger tires (stock is 28s) as long as the DCT clutches are fine with it.

12 hours ago, SoCalJ said:

I checked them out and sat in both of them at Supercross.  Nice piece...

$19,999 for the X, 20,999 for the R.

Price is right, they're gonna sell a shitload.

IMG_5932.thumb.JPG.2ea6cb762c335161188415ad3b6c72eb.JPG

Looks like the cage can be lowered by quite a bit to help it not look so damned goofy/tall. The short wheelbase is going to be a battle in the open desert though.

And that bumper is hideous.  Someone take it out back and put it out of its misery.   Thankfully it's an option.

Edited by Rockwood

13 hours ago, SoCalJ said:

I checked them out and sat in both of them at Supercross.  Nice piece...

$19,999 for the X, 20,999 for the R.

Price is right, they're gonna sell a shitload.

IMG_5932.thumb.JPG.2ea6cb762c335161188415ad3b6c72eb.JPG

There will for sure be an initial wave of the Honda faithful buying them.   But I think much like the Yamaha it will taper off and they will be selling them for much less than the MSRP.    The best think Honda did was not copy Yamaha's rear suspension design.  The YXZ is not a fun car in the whoops and the rear tends to buck.    Honda should of had the Talon ready to go for January.   

Hopefully Honda has the DCT clutch set up much better than they did in the Pioneer.  People were burning up the clutches on them when they first came out.  

The non-turbo sport market is saturated with lots of good choices.   Polaris has lowered the pricing on the XP1000  and you can get them for 16K-18K OTD.   Has a huge aftermarket support as well.   The YXZ can be had for a pretty reasonable price as well.   The Wildcat XX is probably the best choice of the non-turbo sport models - it has the most hp, probably the best suspension set up and the overall design is way better than the rest.  

Honda would have been wise to offer a turbo model.   A well built car known for reliability in the turbo market would be a welcome edition.    

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

At least it appears to have low range. Going to need much bigger tires (stock is 28s) as long as the DCT clutches are fine with it.

Looks like the cage can be lowered by quite a bit to help it not look so damned goofy/tall. The short wheelbase is going to be a battle in the open desert though.

And that bumper is hideous.  Someone take it out back and put it out of its misery.   Thankfully it's an option.

Perhaps you could get away with putting 30s on it.   Not sure why Honda did not throw 30" tires on the R model.   Anything larger and you are probably looking a gear changes.    Going to 30s might eat up the hp though.  

The wheelbase of the R model is the same as the XP1000 and Yamaha.  90" is not horrible.  Just seems short when you get use to the wheelbase of the X3. 

Watching 

Awesomeness 

10 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

Thats pretty cool that 360 cam. Even while paused you can go 360. They need  to get the quality up  a bit though. I'm sure in a few years they will have it figured out.

Cool!

Cool

I welcome Honda to the market. Can’t wait!

Anyone seen one at Glamis yet?

13 hours ago, Flip-Flop said:

Anyone seen one at Glamis yet?

They are not available until April

Edited by Sand Shark

31 minutes ago, RK Racing said:

I welcome Honda to the market. Can’t wait!

Ya to do circles around !!!!....

1 hour ago, Sumsand said:

Ya to do circles around !!!!....

Maybe......

Honda looks coo, would like to see auto manufacturers  like CHEVY get into the business.  Market is open.

2 hours ago, mike dee said:

Honda looks coo, would like to see auto manufacturers  like CHEVY get into the business.  Market is open.

Why?  So they can make a sub-par vehicle with as many recalls as their cars?  LMAO!  GM has enough financial problems and a tough time keeping up with the other manufactures.  If they did not have the Corvette and the diesel truck they would be screwed. 

The Honda is a glimpse of where the SXS world is heading as far as transmission set ups.  I suspect Polaris and Can Am will have a model with a DCT set up within the next few years. 

Edited by Sand Shark

I can't decide if the Talon or the Yamaha is the ugliest. What is going on in Japan? I think that nuclear plant melt down was worse then they thought.

:lol:

That's a cool video of Johnson Valley, and I like where it's located, but I can't figure out whether I should use my sand tires or all-terrain Maxxis Bighorns?  If anyone has been there, please let me know what you think.

2 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

That's a cool video of Johnson Valley, and I like where it's located, but I can't figure out whether I should use my sand tires or all-terrain Maxxis Bighorns?  If anyone has been there, please let me know what you think.

Unless you don't like your paddle tires and don't want to make it very far from camp, I would stick with your Bighorns.  Johnson Valley is very rocky and open desert riding.  Not much sand.  

This is where King of the Hammers is held.   

3 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

Unless you don't like your paddle tires and don't want to make it very far from camp, I would stick with your Bighorns.  Johnson Valley is very rocky and open desert riding.  Not much sand.  

This is where King of the Hammers is held.   

Thanks for the excellent tip.  I will use the all-terrains.  I had never heard of KOTH before, so I looked up the Monster Energy - King Of The Hammers 2018 video.  Yikes!  It looks exciting, but hopefully I can go on a weekend and enjoy Johnson Valley with the remote and serene feeling I got watching the Honda Talon video.

On 1/27/2019 at 8:51 AM, Sand Shark said:

Why?  So they can make a sub-par vehicle with as many recalls as their cars?  LMAO!  GM has enough financial problems and a tough time keeping up with the other manufactures.  If they did not have the Corvette and the diesel truck they would be screwed. 

The Honda is a glimpse of where the SXS world is heading as far as transmission set ups.  I suspect Polaris and Can Am will have a model with a DCT set up within the next few years. 

You wont have to wait that long, Polaris will have the trans 2020.  plus 220 + hps, ground up changes and a nice 35 to 38G price tag. 

It just drives me insane to see all of those machines out in the dunes, they are all exactly the same. How does anyone tell them apart? How can anyone even identify others in their dune group? It's like a big game of where's Waldo.

Edited by fortyfour

On 1/27/2019 at 8:58 AM, SANDPSYCHO said:

I can't decide if the Talon or the Yamaha is the ugliest. What is going on in Japan? I think that nuclear plant melt down was worse then they thought.

The Yamaha has definitely grown on me! At first I was like :wtf: 

What I like is the Fit and finish...and no belt! The new one with gear reduction and no clutch is cool! It would be a contender if I was in the market.

1 minute ago, dbart said:

The Yamaha has definitely grown on me! At first I was like :wtf: 

What I like is the Fit and finish...and no belt! The new one with gear reduction and no clutch is cool! It would be a contender if I was in the market.

Loving my Yamaha, she may not be the fastest or take the whoops as good as some of the others but she turns on a dime and slllllllllllllides thru the corners

And sounds cool as hell. Nothing beats that street bike sounding motor while banging gears the others are like the four minute one octave fart as they roll past

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, MWB said:

Loving my Yamaha, she may not be the fastest or take the whoops as good as some of the others but she turns on a dime and slllllllllllllides thru the corners

And sounds cool as hell. Nothing beats that street bike sounding motor while banging gears the others are like the four minute one octave fart as they roll past

:laugh: