13 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

Pot meet Kettle.

His comment that "You know everything" is less of a personal attack then your calling him a 4 year old.

RideRed, nice offer....thank you for not making this personal.

Socaldmax.... :focus: about the SxS.

:rulez:

ūüĎć

6 hours ago, RIDERED said:

You show up to one of the many demo's that will be going on throughout the year and I will make sure you get to the front of the line. 

At that point you can come back here and give your actual butt in the seat opinion. 

Deal?? 

Sure, sounds good.

Send me a link to the demo schedule and I'll try to show up to one of them.

On 3/13/2019 at 11:04 AM, socaldmax said:

Let's see...

it's over weight, under powered, has a mediocre suspension, it's ugly as sin and it has a dual clutch automatic tranny. Translated, that means it has a heavy trans that's probably prone to overheating in high powered applications and twice the clutches to burn up. Does it have any extra coolers for the auto trans? 

I think we have a real game changer here!!

:lol:

DCT is not an old hydramatic. Any cooling needed is minimal, especially compared to a CVT.  It’s an automated manual that uses two clutches to shift instantly. 

If I was looking at a straight trail rig for the summers up on the rim I would be all over this. Fact is a lot of people spend a lot more time on mountain trails then they do in the sand so this is a great option for them.  

I would be interested to see one in Person..I have been a Honda Fan since I was a kid and got my first ATC...

On 3/13/2019 at 8:26 PM, Sand Shark said:

I have seen the Honda Talon up close few  times now.  Last weekend when I was buying my kid a Honda dirt bike they had one sitting there.   Think it was the first one in So. Cal.

The Talon is much better looking in person.  It looks well built and gives you that Honda reliability feel.   The Talon is not designed or intended to be the fastest SXS out there.  I think it is governed to 74mph.  

(In my opinion )What Honda designed this to do is be able to flogg the crap out of it with the motor set up they provided and not have to worry about anything breaking.  

The motor trans set up is massive.  It is all one unit.

The DCT set up is  slick.   Interestingly in the reviews I have seen most leave it in sport auto mode and don’t really override it to shift .   What I also gather from the review is this will be a good trail and open hardpack SXS.   It will be underpower for the dunes compared to the other offerings available.  

Word from the dealer I was at last weekend is a 4 seat model will be released by the end of summer and a turbo model is in the works.   

If Honda offers a turbo model,  then I will be interested.  It woild he hard to go back to a non-turbo model for me.  

EF6453D3-24ED-4BA9-957B-53FEBA324E3E.jpeg

92331051-3311-42B0-B46F-21B6EDCE91E1.jpeg

702AFD4F-48B6-43E3-AFC8-C5DEC6748C47.jpeg

Well said! Anytime something new comes out it immediately gets a review for being too ugly or for not being the best of the best.  Everyones cash flow, needs and likes are different.   I’m sure their will be plenty of people that will enjoy this unit.  Good luck Honda

On ‚Äé3‚Äé/‚Äé13‚Äé/‚Äé2019 at 4:13 PM, socaldmax said:

I saw the specs on it. You don't need to drive it to know it's underpowered, overweight, has a mediocre suspension and it's ugly.

How can you say that  when it's got your name written all OVER it.  :bigrin

92331051-3311-42B0-B46F-21B6EDCE91E1.thumb.jpeg.4a89924f2fff027637b8e939580c049e.jpg

Edited by Flip-Flop

On 3/13/2019 at 11:04 AM, socaldmax said:

Let's see...

it's over weight, under powered, has a mediocre suspension, it's ugly as sin and it has a dual clutch automatic tranny. Translated, that means it has a heavy trans that's probably prone to overheating in high powered applications and twice the clutches to burn up. Does it have any extra coolers for the auto trans? 

I think we have a real game changer here!!

So what your saying is the Talon is a Wildcat with a DCT .   LMAO!!!

1 hour ago, Sand Shark said:

I bet you felt really dirty after those words left your fingertips...and you clicked post.

No need to call bad names to those who don't deserve it (Honda a Wildcat).....that was just MEAN.

1 hour ago, Sand Shark said:

If you want to make that comparison, I can't stop you.

Just keep these facts in mind - the Wildcat came out in 2012, when Polaris was still cranking out a 900cc UTV with no real frame, no power steering and 14" of travel. The Wildcat was ahead of it's time with it's chassis strength, longer travel, EPS, superior ride and handling compared to everything else on the market in 2012.

Now Honda puts this out, and you gleefully compare it to what everybody's been talking shit about since 2012.

Yup, looks like you burned Honda pretty good.

:lmao:

22 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

I bet you felt really dirty after those words left your fingertips...and you clicked post.

No need to call bad names to those who don't deserve it (Honda a Wildcat).....that was just MEAN.

Tell me all about your awesome SxS. I'm sure that won't stop you from talking shit.

You're so cool!!

1 minute ago, socaldmax said:

Tell me all about your awesome SxS. I'm sure that won't stop you from talking shit.

You're so cool!!

I putt around at 27 mph max on a "Sporty" version of farm/football field equipment modified to fit 4 people.

It's reliable as fuck and does what I need it to do for the cheap price I paid.

I don't pretend that it is anything more then what it is  :lmao:  ....unlike you.

While on paper the wildcat had every opportunity to be the best 2012 had to offer.....the reality of their poor craftsmanship is what make then get the ribbing that they do.

Design is great, unless you can't seem  engineer it to meet basic reliability expectations.

7 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

Many moons ago, I stopped by Vey's in Lemon Grove to get some parts for my son's KFX50 (since passed down to little sister).  While I was waiting for the parts guy, they were closing up and parking the Wildcats inside.  Every single one of them was blowing oil smoke into the building at an alarming rate. 

"They do that every time?"

"Nah, it's warm today.  You should see them on a cold day."

Just now, CRUSTY said:

I putt around at 27 mph max on a "Sporty" version of farm/football field equipment modified to fit 4 people.

It's reliable as eff* and does what I need it to do for the cheap price I paid.

I don't pretend that it is anything more then what it is  :lmao:  ....unlike you.

While on paper the wildcat had every opportunity to be the best 2012 had to offer.....the reality of their poor craftsmanship is what make then get the ribbing that they do.

Design is great, unless you can't seem  engineer it to meet basic reliability expectations.

You shouldn't believe all of the crap people post on here about them, mostly the guy above. There are still plenty of Wildcats out there rock bashing and racing through the woods and trail riding all across the US. The one place it seems underpowered to some people is Glamis, but if you know how to drive, it can dune just fine. Certainly more than twice as fast as 27 mph.

When you look at how many parts are recommended to be replaced/added to the brand new Can Am X3s to make them more reliable and how many Polaris bonfires have burned since 2012 and how many problems Big Mikey had with ALL of his Razrs, my Wildcat has been very reliable in comparison. I've bent 1 lower a-arm bottoming out at speed in 7 yrs and it still runs fine.

That's been my experience. Actual experience, not someone who doesn't own one spewing off about what he thinks he heard.

Why do you think Greg Biffle chose to build the Z1s starting with the Wildcat? Because it was the best platform at the time. All he had to do was replace the drivetrain for massive power, which was easier than upgrading the chassis and suspension of any other brand.

Why do you think Robby Gordon chose the Wildcat to upgrade to Baja racing specs with the XX? Certainly Polaris had a lot more money to throw at RG than Arctic Cat did.

Maybe 2 race car drivers saw something in the Wildcat that the haters never did. If you want to build something better, first you start off with the best platform and improve upon that. I trust their instincts a lot more than I trust non-owner opinions.  

3 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

You shouldn't believe all of the crap people post on here about them, mostly the guy above. There are still plenty of Wildcats out there rock bashing and racing through the woods and trail riding all across the US. The one place it seems underpowered to some people is Glamis, but if you know how to drive, it can dune just fine. Certainly more than twice as fast as 27 mph.

When you look at how many parts are recommended to be replaced/added to the brand new Can Am X3s to make them more reliable and how many Polaris bonfires have burned since 2012 and how many problems Big Mikey had with ALL of his Razrs, my Wildcat has been very reliable in comparison. I've bent 1 lower a-arm bottoming out at speed in 7 yrs and it still runs fine.

That's been my experience. Actual experience, not someone who doesn't own one spewing off about what he thinks he heard.

Why do you think Greg Biffle chose to build the Z1s starting with the Wildcat? Because it was the best platform at the time. All he had to do was replace the drivetrain for massive power, which was easier than upgrading the chassis and suspension of any other brand.

Why do you think Robby Gordon chose the Wildcat to upgrade to Baja racing specs with the XX? Certainly Polaris had a lot more money to throw at RG than Arctic Cat did.

Maybe 2 race car drivers saw something in the Wildcat that the haters never did. If you want to build something better, first you start off with the best platform and improve upon that. I trust their instincts a lot more than I trust non-owner opinions.  

A few things..

You should know me well enough that I am pretty open to all sides of any story or experience shared by folks. If you think I'm a Polaris fan of any sort, your not paying attention at all.

Can-Am and Polaris are doing what they have always done, even since the 90's when I worked in the power sports industry with Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Polaris and Sea-Do Bombardier. Only other major brand was Yamaha, which we did not carry. I was not in sales, i worked directly with the mechanics and parts for repair, warranty work, etc for years.

I saw first hand quality product vs crap. POL and BRP were always great at their marketing "Fast and Cheaper" fun then the lager Japanese mfgs. Still true today.

There is a brand out there for everyone, Biffle and RG included.

I'd love to find me a sweet Joyner 800 for the right price that was not beat to shit....it could be fun at the right price point right?

I'm all about $ to fun ratio for the amount of time I can spend out there using it. Everyone has their opinions, i just chuckle when you go above and beyond to discredit others for theirs. Just because YOU think little of them, that doen't amount to anything for everyone else.

Just like my own "Two Cents".....its worth only what others decide to let it be worth.

:cheers:

4 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

A few things..

You should know me well enough that I am pretty open to all sides of any story or experience shared by folks. If you think I'm a Polaris fan of any sort, your not paying attention at all.

Can-Am and Polaris are doing what they have always done, even since the 90's when I worked in the power sports industry with Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Polaris and Sea-Do Bombardier. Only other major brand was Yamaha, which we did not carry. I was not in sales, i worked directly with the mechanics and parts for repair, warranty work, etc for years.

I saw first hand quality product vs crap. POL and BRP were always great at their marketing "Fast and Cheaper" fun then the lager Japanese mfgs. Still true today.

There is a brand out there for everyone, Biffle and RG included.

I'd love to find me a sweet Joyner 800 for the right price that was not beat to shit....it could be fun at the right price point right?

I'm all about $ to fun ratio for the amount of time I can spend out there using it. Everyone has their opinions, i just chuckle when you go above and beyond to discredit others for theirs. Just because YOU think little of them, that doen't amount to anything for everyone else.

Just like my own "Two Cents".....its worth only what others decide to let it be worth.

:cheers:

Yet your previous post openly mocked a 2012 design Wildcat. Surely with all of Honda's money and engineering prowess, they could have come up with more than 17" of travel in 2019. 

I've never said the WC is the best, just that people seem to forget what it was competing with back in 2012.

Now, in 2019, according to the reviewers, the XX is the only SxS  that needs no suspension or cage upgrades right out of the box. Yes, if you want to dune it, then wait for the turbo model.

Perhaps the polaris S model doesn't need any upgrades, because it already comes with every gimmick including the kitchen sink. I think MSRP on those is $25,400, so OTD price is probably up in the $28,000+ range. Quite a bit more expensive than the XX at $17,000.

Sure, people can ignore my opinions, but as you can see, they're all based on mfr released info. I'm not making up weights, hp numbers, prices, etc. Someone's opinions on quality however...

that's entirely subjective. 

47 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Many moons ago, I stopped by Vey's in Lemon Grove to get some parts for my son's KFX50 (since passed down to little sister).  While I was waiting for the parts guy, they were closing up and parking the Wildcats inside.  Every single one of them was blowing oil smoke into the building at an alarming rate. 

"They do that every time?"

"Nah, it's warm today.  You should see them on a cold day."

It took you a while to join the party.

You must be slipping!

Just now, socaldmax said:

It took you a while to join the party.

You must be slipping!

Work's been crazy lately.  My apologies.

Figure out how to design that DCT cooler kit for the Talon yet? :bigrin 

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

Work's been crazy lately.  My apologies.

Figure out how to design that DCT cooler kit for the Talon yet? :bigrin 

Nah.

I'm just gonna do what everyone else does around here. Just sit back and watch the shit show.

Seriously though, I just read a review of DCT. It really is a manual trans with 2 computer controlled clutch packs. The reviewer was impressed with it on the street for smooth takeoffs and smooth shifts. However, I still think a CVT is better suited to rock crawling, like at Johnson Valley, for instance. The CVT can multiply the torque of these small engines better.

We'll see how they do IRL soon.

It's a Honda it will sell great exactly where Honda thinks it will sell great.   Will it out sell Can Am or Polaris in Southern California, Arizona or Nevada probably not but those states were probably pretty low on there targeted markets. Hell we were probably just above the market where you see all the Brothers riding quads on the streets doing wheelies for miles. 

15 minutes ago, MWB said:

It's a Honda it will sell great exactly where Honda thinks it will sell great.   Will it out sell Can Am or Polaris in Southern California, Arizona or Nevada probably not but those states were probably pretty low on there targeted markets. Hell we were probably just above the market where you see all the Brothers riding quads on the streets doing wheelies for miles. 

So where exactly is Honda's target market?

Honda’s  market is not the sand market nor Polaris  more units sell back east . As far as the sand market just look at what running in the sand says a lot .they all have there weak points . I would rather change belt in the sand  in 5 minutes and and be back out duning . Each year the units get better . You just have to make up your minde if want to play the waiting 

3 hours ago, socaldmax said:

If you want to make that comparison, I can't stop you.

Just keep these facts in mind - the Wildcat came out in 2012, when Polaris was still cranking out a 900cc UTV with no real frame, no power steering and 14" of travel. The Wildcat was ahead of it's time with it's chassis strength, longer travel, EPS, superior ride and handling compared to everything else on the market in 2012.

Now Honda puts this out, and you gleefully compare it to what everybody's been talking shit about since 2012.

Yup, looks like you burned Honda pretty good.

:lmao:

Saying the Honda is under powered is comical, when you champion the most under powered sport SXS to hit the market.    Yes the 900XP had it's short comings, but it was still a better car then the Wildcat.  The Wildcat X that was much better in the power dept and clutching.