1 hour ago, Air450 said:

What? Hit the starter button?

Climb over rocks with one tire.

On 6/17/2019 at 6:44 PM, CRUSTY said:

Cool!

But, take that video with a grain of salt. Those trails look gnar gnar, but the grip of Utah “slickrock” is crazy, like driving on sandpaper. Nearly anything with 4WD and ground clearance would make short work of those trails. 

Let’s see more of these trails:

:bigrin 

4 minutes ago, ahipara 55 said:

..from 104 stock horsepower to approximately 166 (Jackson claims an approximate jump of 60% more horsepower at 8psi of boost...

An all-new Garrett Motion turbo charger is utilized – this is actually an all-new turbo design from the ground up and it’s engineered to produce peak performance numbers throughout the entire RPM range. Jackson Racing designed the intercooler in CAD and included a high flow SPAL fan for maximum cooling of the incoming air. The turbo manifold is made out of 304 stainless steel and TIG-welded for longevity. The system allows for direct turbo exit into the factory exhaust system. To complete the kit itself, a factory ECU reflash is included to remap the tuning. It is formatted to run on 91-octane fuel, and the remap also includes revised DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) shift schedules to get optimized feel and performance out of the stock transmission. Finally, Jackson and Honda expect this kit to pass CARB testing so it will be available with 50-state emissions compliance.

Sounds nice.

For those that day want to read the lengthy article, the Jackson turbo kit adds $5800 to the cost 

51 minutes ago, Conrad said:

For those that day want to read the lengthy article, the Jackson turbo kit adds $5800 to the cost 

But American Honda will roll it into the purchase price and you can get it financed. Honda will also install it at the dealer before picking it up. Still cheaper than a Turbo S and probably faster as well. 

30 minutes ago, hondajimz said:

But American Honda will roll it into the purchase price and you can get it financed. Honda will also install it at the dealer before picking it up. Still cheaper than a Turbo S and probably faster as well. 

Don’t think it will be cheaper.  The cost of the turbo plus the install price will put a 4 seat Talon and a 2 seat R at the same price as a Turbo S or maybe more.   Bummer they don’t offer the 4 seat Talon in the R model.

Polaris has some good prices on the Turbo S with the new XP Pro being released.  Not to mention there are some good deals on the X3.  

49 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

Don’t think it will be cheaper.  The cost of the turbo plus the install price will put a 4 seat Talon and a 2 seat R at the same price as a Turbo S or maybe more.   Bummer they don’t offer the 4 seat Talon in the R model.

Polaris has some good prices on the Turbo S with the new XP Pro being released.  Not to mention there are some good deals on the X3.  

Polaris bending their customers over again. They roll out new changes every 6 months and make the prior models become disposable. 

6 minutes ago, hondajimz said:

Polaris bending their customers over again. They roll out new changes every 6 months and make the prior models become disposable. 

Lol!  Only disposable for those that need the latest.    

2 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

Lol!  Only disposable for those that need the latest.    

There  seems to be plenty of those. It makes the market value plummet on the prior generations. 

8 minutes ago, hondajimz said:

There  seems to be plenty of those. It makes the market value plummet on the prior generations. 

If you keep them for 3-4 years and use it, then you get your monies worth out of it.  If you buy one and put 500 miles on it in 3 years then it stings more.

Reality is once you have either a X3 or Turbo  S you really are not outdated for a while.  HP is a tune away and suspension wise they can’t take it much farther.  

Talon Users like "Sport" mode for DCT in Dunes.

https://www.utvguide.net/honda-talon-1000r-dune-review/

2 hours ago, CRUSTY said:

Talon Users like "Sport" mode for DCT in Dunes.

https://www.utvguide.net/honda-talon-1000r-dune-review/

Ironic they like the mode that shifts for you, but you can override it with the paddles if you want.    What happen to the people all I want to do is shift gears?  LOL!

Hope we get to see  few Honda's with turbo set up out in the dunes this season.   

21 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

Ironic they like the mode that shifts for you, but you can override it with the paddles if you want.    What happen to the people all I want to do is shift gears?  LOL!

Hope we get to see  few Honda's with turbo set up out in the dunes this season.   

Automatic is simply nice to have, it is the ABILITY to shift gears when needed is what gives the advantage in certain conditions.

In any CVT SXS, everyone has had that moment when they wished there was a gear to shift available up or down to stay in the power band and keep their power where it was ideal.

:lol:

27 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

Automatic is simply nice to have, it is the ABILITY to shift gears when needed is what gives the advantage in certain conditions.

In any CVT SXS, everyone has had that moment when they wished there was a gear to shift available up or down to stay in the power band and keep their power where it was ideal.

#Rhinoproblems#  LOL!

With a turbo there is no issue with not being in the power band.

47 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

#Rhinoproblems#  LOL!

With a turbo there is no issue with not being in the power band.

Power band.... :kenk: What's that?

Us Rhino owners just have a band...no Power!

:lmao:

But hey...I'm still having a blast in my 11 year old moosheen that goes anywhere the other's go. Well, pretty much anywhere  :dbart:

ORIGINAL HRC Side by Side....well because there are 2 of them :lol:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/snw/d/honda-pilot-fl400r/6936017714.html

Still waiting to see the 4 seater in a Dealership.

Posted (edited)

Funny how Polaris’s come out with the Rd 1.  one of the modern day Odyssey

Edited by DEV'S RZR

Fabwerx killed it on the Talon!

:oto:

Honda Talon-Fabwerx1.jpg

On 8/13/2019 at 11:18 AM, CRUSTY said:

I respect your opinion, but I couldn't disagree more.  Nothing is more effective at keeping an engine in its powerband than a properly tuned CVT.   A CVT gives you an infinite number of gears and will stay at your peak power RPM at any given speed under load.  Sure, we've all been in a SxS and had it pinned and wished we had more POWER, but that was not because we were out of the POWERBAND.  Anytime I'm floored in the XPT it's at exactly peak HP even as the MPH climbs.  I've never once though "if only I could downshift to get back in the powerband" because it's already at the ideal power RPM.  

In the YXZ and Talon, however, there will be times where you wind up "in between gears" and you'd be turning too much RPM if you down-shifted, but you're just below the powerband in the current gear.  Turbos certainly help a ton in filling those gaps by broadening the powerband. 

Still, wishing you had another gear is something that by definition can't happen with a (properly setup) CVT because you already have an infinite number of ratios.

-TJ

On 6/19/2019 at 10:09 PM, socaldmax said:

Climb over rocks with one tire.

You are correct, the other ones will do this too. RZR is fully locked front, rear and center under power in 4wd and would do the same thing.  The newer X3s with the Smart Lok would do it too.  I think what Honda is showing off there is that despite not being mechanically locked-up, they computer will make it happen. 

-TJ

Posted (edited)

@tjZ06 I have a yxz 1000 that I really like and a couple RZR for the wife and kids.  Driving both makes you appreciate why a CVT is the best for a SxS.

Edited by 1newbie
error

Powerbands break sometimes when you're really in it hard!:igar::lol:

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, 1newbie said:

@tjZ06 I have a yxz 1000 that I really like and a couple RZR for the wife and kids.  Driving both makes you appreciate why a CVT is the best for a SxS.

Great input from an owner of both styles (real trans and CVT). 

1 hour ago, Air450 said:

Powerbands break sometimes when you're really in it hard!:igar::lol:

Yeah, I find pieces of those powerbands all over G.  That, IMHO is the worst thing about SxSs: leaving belt crap everywhere.  I've only ever had two snap in the dunes with many thousands and thousands of dune miles.  The first was on our first XP Turbo (2016) and the secondary bolt had become loose, causing the belt to be misaligned.  I was also running the belt cover on, which I no longer do for the dunes.  The other was on my Z1 when we were still working out clutching and belt size.  Belt temps got way better once we changed belt lengths, but still the thing was destined to fail at something like 2400lbs (without passengers), 40psi of boost and around 300 RWHP.   I learned my lesson there - if you want that type of power performance don't do it through a rubber band, and that's why I went back to my BFD car.  

Anyway, whenever a belt breaks in our group, I'm usually the guy that helps change it since I carry lots of tools and know how to work on the CVTs.  I always do my best (or make the owner do their best) to get every last shred of belt off the sand and cleaned up.  We even take one of the good running SxSs and back-track the last couple hundred yards before the belt broke (which can be pretty far back if they coasted a while after breaking) to look for shreds.  Luckily, at least on RZRs, the belt-case-vent comes out up over the top and forward and sort of dumps in the sway bar area.  Usually the skid plate catches most of the debris.  Either way, we try to clean up our powerbands. 😛😄

-TJ

Edited by tjZ06

14 minutes ago, tjZ06 said:

Great input from an owner of both styles (real trans and CVT). 

Yeah, I find pieces of those powerbands all over G.  That, IMHO is the worst thing about SxSs: leaving belt crap everywhere.  I've only ever had two snap in the dunes with many thousands and thousands of dune miles.  The first was on our first XP Turbo (2016) and the secondary bolt had become loose, causing the belt to be misaligned.  I was also running the belt cover on, which I no longer do for the dunes.  The other was on my Z1 when we were still working out clutching and belt size.  Belt temps got way better once we changed belt lengths, but still the thing was destined to fail at something like 2400lbs (without passengers), 40psi of boost and around 300 RWHP.   I learned my lesson there - if you want that type of power performance don't do it through a rubber band, and that's why I went back to my BFD car.  

Anyway, whenever a belt breaks in our group, I'm usually the guy that helps change it since I carry lots of tools and know how to work on the CVTs.  I always do my best (or make the owner do their best) to get every last shred of belt off the sand and cleaned up.  We even take one of the good running SxSs and back-track the last couple hundred yards before the belt broke (which can be pretty far back if they coasted a while after breaking) to look for shreds.  Luckily, at least on RZRs, the belt-case-vent comes out up over the top and forward and sort of dumps in the sway bar area.  Usually the skid plate catches most of the debris.  Either way, we try to clean up our powerbands. 😛😄

-TJ

:thumbup: