Sign in to follow this  
ltpyro

Engine performance shop socal

I want to start the conversation with a shop that works on honda 3.5L engines about increasing the HP.  The only two I've heard of in the "orange county area" are C&G performance and Autowave Inc. (if they still work on sand rails).  Anyone have any experience with either of these two shops or know of another I should call?

I just read on another thread that you stated you had an 091. The stock 3.5 will already be pushing the bus box limits. That being said, C&G can put an intercooled turbo set up on that motor and make some decent power but IMO that trans wont last. 

Bring that thing to my garage with a fist full of cash. I can add some power to that thing real quick. 

19 hours ago, jtmoney714 said:

Bring that thing to my garage with a fist full of cash. I can add some power to that thing real quick. 

Lol of course throwing money at it will make more HP.  What I really need is to plan out the upgrades as I don't have a lot of cash on hand at one time.  So I wanted to talk to a shop about what my goals are and how to get there in steps.

19 hours ago, raspadoo said:

I just read on another thread that you stated you had an 091. The stock 3.5 will already be pushing the bus box limits. That being said, C&G can put an intercooled turbo set up on that motor and make some decent power but IMO that trans wont last. 

So according the all knowing internet, lol, my engine should be making around 240, I see people on here claiming that a 091 can handle 300-350 and I know of a type 001 transaxle with 500hp on it.  Now I'm not saying I won't destroy the 091 with more HP, but I do think I can make it last longer with driving style and replace it when it does grenade.  

Point being the 240hp my car has now is not enough, I'm way to accustomed to having more HP.

Edited by ltpyro

5 hours ago, ltpyro said:

Lol of course throwing money at it will make more HP.  What I really need is to plan out the upgrades as I don't have a lot of cash on hand at one time.  So I wanted to talk to a shop about what my goals are and how to get there in steps.

So according the all knowing internet, lol, my engine should be making around 240, I see people on here claiming that a 091 can handle 300-350 and I know of a type 001 transaxle with 500hp on it.  Now I'm not saying I won't destroy the 091 with more HP, but I do think I can make it last longer with driving style and replace it when it does grenade.  

Point being the 240hp my car has now is not enough, I'm way to accustomed to having more HP.

Hp is gonna cost money regardless. I can help you turbo that thing for about 3k done right. 

5 hours ago, ltpyro said:

240 is what Honda rated them at from the factory in the van at the flywheel.

I swapped a 3.5 in to another members Funco a few years back, and he dyno'd it after.  It did almost 260 to the wheels.  Put your money toward a Trans before you up the HP.

Turboing will grenade that 091 in short order.

Edited by Kraut_n_Rice

Autowave did a good job for me, we kept the wheel hp at aprox 310 to go with my e box. Tell them what you want, or ask what they think will work best, and they will give you an estimate 

I am looking for a good source of info on Honda motors as well. I just bought a car with a 3.2 Acura motor. I'm wanting to turbo it but don't know who could tune. I'm in Bakersfield CA. 

As far as your trans holding the power, I have seen ls motors hooked to a bus box. Obviously is you hammer down it won't last. But my buddy is on his ninth season with a built 091 with a 3.0 Honda with 10 pounds of boost and 35" paddles. He runs it hard but let's off through the woops and such. 

Edited by quadman1

21 hours ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

240 is what Honda rated them at from the factory in the van at the flywheel.

I swapped a 3.5 in to another members Funco a few years back, and he dyno'd it after.  It did almost 260 to the wheels.  Put your money toward a Trans before you up the HP.

Turboing will grenade that 091 in short order.

I'm not saying that what you're saying is incorrect, but there is no way my 3.5 is making 240ish to the wheels.  But maybe going to a shop to get a dyno first would be in order, gotta get a baseline right?  I'm pretty sure this thing still has the stock Honda controller, so 240 at the flywheel and just under 200 at the wheels is what my car feels like.  This is my first sand rail but working on engines and adding Hp is not new, just more accustomed to vehicles without electronics.  Tuning is where I get lost since you need specialized software and knowledge.

When you did your swap, was it 100% stock 3.5?  or did you use an aftermarket controller?  Maybe just a few tweaks can open this thing up?

22 hours ago, jtmoney714 said:

Hp is gonna cost money regardless. I can help you turbo that thing for about 3k done right. 

HP always costs.  I don't think I've owned a vehicle that I haven't added some to, I can't leave anything stock...

So what's the right way on a 3.5?  I hear a lot of people saying that about 8pounds of boost is all they can handle with out internal work. 

21 hours ago, bgchlln said:

Autowave did a good job for me, we kept the wheel hp at aprox 310 to go with my e box. Tell them what you want, or ask what they think will work best, and they will give you an estimate 

Good to know, they were the first ones I found online and the closest so far.

8 hours ago, quadman1 said:

As far as your trans holding the power, I have seen ls motors hooked to a bus box. Obviously is you hammer down it won't last. But my buddy is on his ninth season with a built 091 with a 3.0 Honda with 10 pounds of boost and 35" paddles. He runs it hard but let's off through the woods and such. 

Yeah the way you drive has a lot to do with how long parts last.  Since this is my first rail and I don't go crazy jumping or running 80mph on the whoops, I'm hoping to keep the transmission together at least until I create a plan and a budget for adding some HP and a transmission upgrade.

I guess i'll start with Autowave and just see if I can figure out what I have exactly and what I need to get to where I want to be.

The way an OE manufacturer rates HP doesn't equate 1:1 to the off road world.

The swap we did was all stock Honda.

Add power to that engine and you will trash that trans.  It's pretty simple.  If you are going to put enough power in a car to easily destroy a trans, but aren't going to drive the car hard enough to potentially do so, you don't need that much power.

3 hours ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

The way an OE manufacturer rates HP doesn't equate 1:1 to the off road world.

The swap we did was all stock Honda.

Add power to that engine and you will trash that trans.  It's pretty simple.  If you are going to put enough power in a car to easily destroy a trans, but aren't going to drive the car hard enough to potentially do so, you don't need that much power.

Ok so most everyone missed the question, i'm just looking for a place to start a conversation about increasing it.  I already know the transmission will need to some attention.  thanks.