Sign in to follow this  
Air450

fresh water tank fittings

I need to vent the second water tank. Stupid eclipse attitude decided they don't need one. So when you fill up it expands. When you drain it it sucks up!

Anyways anyone know where to get them? Just a small fitting to drill and put on the top or top side.

I had a fresh water tank fitting crack and start leaking. Had to remove the tank and have the RV shop plastic weld in a new fitting. Being a vent on top it might no be that critical. 

I would think just a small hole and a screw in barbed fitting, then some 5200 marine adhesive would keep it in there forever.

11 minutes ago, realbadlarry said:

I would think just a small hole and a screw in barbed fitting, then some 5200 marine adhesive would keep it in there forever.

This^^^  Find whatever adhesive works on that type of plastic.

contact MGM/FRP  on the board..  located in Escondido . this is what his shop does..

I've found that 5200 sticks to just about everything it touches.........I dress up like breaking bad to put in on anything.....

Where to get the fittings? Plastic or brass? Need a mini filter to.

For a small breather i would drill on top somwhere and glue it in.

For a repair on a lower fitting or replace the outlet fitting i drop off at mgm scott and have him fix it.He did mine and a friends water outlet a few years ago.

When I built my trailer I drilled and taped the plastic and sealed it with a marine grade sealer. Also I had a problem with the water siphoning out of the vent while traveling so I put a valve on the vent line and shut it while traveling.  On the top I used a alum plate with a taped pipe fitting and fastened the alum plate with 1/4" X 20 stainless bolts, taped into the plastic. DON~~~

you cannot "glue" to a polyethylene water tank.  Its a wax based plastic. No glue on this earth will stick.  I can weld a fitting in for you, but you will have to remove the tank.  Call me and I can set it up to do it while you wait.  It will run about $55. 

I've used similar fittings in the past with good success however, the flanged backing portion that resides inside the tank was oval shaped , so you slid it into the hole at an angle.  Once squared up, the length of that oval flange was "longer" than the diameter of the hole, thus providing a backing for the nut and rubber o-ring. Can't really tell by the pic whether this backing flange is oval shaped as well however, seems as though the principle is the same.

https://www.campingworld.com/self-sealing-tf-1-barb-tank-fitting

Thanks for the advice and help.

6 minutes ago, carboy said:

I've used similar fittings in the past with good success however, the flanged backing portion that resides inside the tank was oval shaped , so you slid it into the hole at an angle.  Once squared up, the length of that oval flange was "longer" than the diameter of the hole, thus providing a backing for the nut and rubber o-ring. Can't really tell by the pic whether this backing flange is oval shaped as well however, seems as though the principle is the same.

https://www.campingworld.com/self-sealing-tf-1-barb-tank-fitting

I found one of those fittings over at Meyers RV around the corner from me.

Thanks again everyone.

Carl,

You're going through the same crap I went through.  Every time I would fill up, the vent would syphon all my water out.  I finally got it figured out when I scrapped their system and made my own.

Hope you figure it out...sounds like you have a plan.

17 hours ago, Mac said:

Carl,

You're going through the same crap I went through.  Every time I would fill up, the vent would syphon all my water out.  I finally got it figured out when I scrapped their system and made my own.

Hope you figure it out...sounds like you have a plan.

No problems with the vent leaking or siphoning. I had 2 cracks in the tank leaking and heated them up with a torch and melted them back together. No more leaks so far. In the process of filling and draining to get the cracked welded up the tanks were gurgling? Figured out they only installed a vent on the front fill tank. Back tank only had a connection at the bottom.

Just tired of filling the tanks in slow motion! lol Now it's full blast all the way.