I just got back into sand rails. I can't do the rzr thing. So I just bought this 2000 sand cars unlimited. It's got a 3.2 Honda with 2d trans. Pretty solid car. I am prepping it for Thanksgiving trip to Dumont. I'll get a baseline run and see if shocks need tuning and such. I'm thinking of turboing the motor, but I'm not a Honda guy.  Here is some pics. 

16952.jpeg

16951.jpeg

IMG_20181028_194502005.jpg

16949.jpeg

IMG_20181030_221757646.jpg

IMG_20181025_152246642.jpg

Very nice congratulations 

Looks like a good time there. 

That motor is pretty solid.  I just helped my buddy swap his sand sucked 3.2 for another one.  It cost him $450 to have a JDM motor shipped to his door with all the attachments.  I couldn't stop laughing that the clutch on his rzr cost him $650, but his entire honda motor cost him $450.  He has a turbo on his and an aftermarket computer.  Thing rips.

Those 2 valve cover breathers tend to puke oil all over the place so he added a catch can up higher to keep that from making a mess.  Works great.

Travis do some searches on here there's a ton on Honda info.

you should contact @Kraut_n_Rice Brandon 480-469-6010 and ask about a turbo setup and what mods to the ECU might be needed

Have @jugernaut  build you a sweet header/turbo

Are you planning to do a full redo upgrade like the last car, if so let me know when to come over and drink your beer while you'all work?

Marc

The previous owner had another motor in it that gave up. So this 3.2 was put in as well as ecm and wiring. The PO told me a shop did the install. The shop owners name is Harvey janise.  

Dunetrack I am not doing a rebuild on this car. This is a smaller and simple car, but it's going to be a good driver.

I have just been changing fuel filters, packing cv's and put in new seat belts. 

Nice car.  It looks really familiar to me for some reason...  can't put my finger on it though.  Congratz!!!

Those are great cars and a lot of value for the money, light so a V6 rips in them, they handle very well and they ride surprisingly well especially for a single hock car. 

Congrats! 

Dude, this is such an amazing car.   I know the original owner.  This car was the inspiration for the car I built and have now.  Reliable, fun sand car.  You will not need to turbo this car.  

Sandpsych your right, the suspension was top notch for their time. The rear has a smooth body remote reservoir shock and the coil over. 

Throttle junkie, that is great info. I'd like more info if you still know the original owner. The guy I bought it from didn't know much. Yeah, I can't wait to let this thing rip. Thanks guys.

The last owner also added electric power steering. I think this is the way to go. My last car had the Howe power rack. That's expensive, and too much plumbing. This electric system has a dial so you can adjust the sensitivity.  

Nice ride throttljunkie.

IMG_20181105_181020020.jpg

11 hours ago, quadman1 said:

The last owner also added electric power steering. I think this is the way to go. My last car had the Howe power rack. That's expensive, and too much plumbing. This electric system has a dial so you can adjust the sensitivity.  

Nice ride throttljunkie.

IMG_20181105_181020020.jpg

OOO nice I just added electric power steering to my car, but mine doesn't have an adjustment.  What brand is it out of curiosity?

That being a 3.2s motor I would go play with first. You may find it will not need a turbo. They are like a Banshee as they love rpm's and really come to life in upper range. I did an engine swap last year for a friend with that motor, fun to drive.

You should get some seat time in this before add a turbo.  The J32A2 isn't the best candidate for turboing,  It has something like 11:1 compression.

I'm not saying you can't, or for the "my buddies runs great" guys...just that an engine with a known weak bottom end, high compression, adding boost might give you less that desirable results.

i don't know what brand the steering system is, the po had it installed but didnt know much about it. Obviously its a unit out of some vehicle and someone built a wire harness for it. There are a few companies building these systems. Some are more expensive than others. I don't know what the difference is. 

I am defiantly going to drive this thing to get a baseline before i mess with a turbo. I did some research on the motors. There are a ton of different 3.2 versions of this motor. I looked up the vin and found out it was a 2001 acura type L. It has 260 horse and 10.5-1 compression. I did see a model of this motor with 11.1 compression. I did not know they made them that high. So i won't be putting 10 pounds of boost to this. 

The reason you feel the power band so much is because this ugly intake said its sweet spot is 4,000-8,000 RPM. So it will want to scream. 

right on bud, bring it to buggy night some time... we can make it ugly ha ha

26 minutes ago, quadman1 said:

i don't know what brand the steering system is, the po had it installed but didnt know much about it. Obviously its a unit out of some vehicle and someone built a wire harness for it. There are a few companies building these systems. Some are more expensive than others. I don't know what the difference is. 

I am defiantly going to drive this thing to get a baseline before i mess with a turbo. I did some research on the motors. There are a ton of different 3.2 versions of this motor. I looked up the vin and found out it was a 2001 acura type L. It has 260 horse and 10.5-1 compression. I did see a model of this motor with 11.1 compression. I did not know they made them that high. So i won't be putting 10 pounds of boost to this. 

The reason you feel the power band so much is because this ugly intake said its sweet spot is 4,000-8,000 RPM. So it will want to scream. 

Manifold paints up nice. Also not sure but looks like you have the spacer under it. I like them down on top of motor and remove it.

24 minutes ago, DuneTrack-N said:

right on bud, bring it to buggy night some time... we can make it ugly ha ha

Well at least you have a well stocked fridge. 

11 minutes ago, Richard H said:

Manifold paints up nice. Also not sure but looks like you have the spacer under it. I like them down on top of motor and remove it.

If i knew there was a removable spacer under that i could have fit my air filter without cutting my wing trunk.  I was thinking of painting it as well. Maybe doing it silver, and the center plate the purple like the frame. 

37 minutes ago, quadman1 said:

Well at least you have a well stocked fridge. 

If i knew there was a removable spacer under that i could have fit my air filter without cutting my wing trunk.  I was thinking of painting it as well. Maybe doing it silver, and the center plate the purple like the frame. 

Not positive but the spacer was used on Pilots and Odyssey vans to provide more low end because of weight. We removed one on a 3.5, you just have to get shorter bolts for the top. Easy job. 

8 hours ago, quadman1 said:

https://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?/forums/topic/338954-affordable-electric-power-steering-kits/&tab=comments#comment-4974338  

This might be the guy that put the unit in, his name is Harvey and he works out of Joe Fab shop I believe.  I bought one of the kits and they are great.  Just a takeout e power steering unit out of one of the chevy cars.  I don't know if you could add the adjustable rheostat to other companies e steering unit or not.  THIS KIT or similar is what was included with my unit, as long as you have the plug on the unit I would think you could add this.  On my buddies car there is just a jumper where this plug goes.

13 minutes ago, Blacklisted said:

https://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?/forums/topic/338954-affordable-electric-power-steering-kits/&tab=comments#comment-4974338  

This might be the guy that put the unit in, his name is Harvey and he works out of Joe Fab shop I believe.  I bought one of the kits and they are great.  Just a takeout e power steering unit out of one of the chevy cars.  I don't know if you could add the adjustable rheostat to other companies e steering unit or not.  THIS KIT or similar is what was included with my unit, as long as you have the plug on the unit I would think you could add this.  On my buddies car there is just a jumper where this plug goes.

I think your right. He said it was done by a guy named Harvey. I asked him if it was a shop he said there were alot of buggies around there.  I think they also installed the 3.2 motor. Maybe I will call them to see if they have any info on the job. I want to know about the tuning.

17 minutes ago, quadman1 said:

I think your right. He said it was done by a guy named Harvey. I asked him if it was a shop he said there were alot of buggies around there.  I think they also installed the 3.2 motor. Maybe I will call them to see if they have any info on the job. I want to know about the tuning.

3.2 was original to the car.  I can't say if it was that same 3.2, but the car was built as a 3.2/2D combo.

1 hour ago, quadman1 said:

I want to know about the tuning.

The ECU is likely OE Honda, and not tune-able.

2 hours ago, THROTTLEJUNKIE said:

3.2 was original to the car.  I can't say if it was that same 3.2, but the car was built as a 3.2/2D combo.

He told me original motor had problems, he said because it was tuned wrong. The shop installed this motor. It doesn't use the original ecm. I can tell because the box it is in has different mounting holes in it. I would have to take seat out to get to it. I'll get deeper when I get back from my trip. 

The strange thing is that the motor mounts have been changed and a bar removed for the oil filter. The wing trunk would not fit because intake was way too big. Also they used a new transmission adapter plate. There is a unused tab on both sides that had been used. To my knowledge all these Honda's bolt the same. I'm just thinking they must have had it mounted in a unstable way and they updated it.

IMG_20181106_193316577.jpg

IMG_20181106_193348756.jpg

IMG_20181106_193330208.jpg

IMG_20181106_193353372.jpg

IMG_20181106_193356725.jpg