boatman22

Newbie going to Glamis

You don’t need a permit for the trailer and you can stop on the way and get a week pass for 35 offsite but we do have them at the store but they are $50 on site .  you can also get your out of state permit there at the store as well along with ice and firewood and anything else you guys might need I suggest camping over in the wash is as you are close to the store as gecko road during the week it’s pretty much nonexistent for any kind of services

A9401F84-5A0A-43D3-87A0-D91A7B60A333.jpeg

F4FF78EA-F32E-48CF-BB00-F2E846B5DB51.jpeg

If you havent done so yet go into the BLM web site and take the camp fire test.  Its free and you get a permit until Dec 31 2018    it will save you a ticket if they want to be jerks out there.  We have been checked once so far.  One Fire One Permit.  We were in wash 6 when this happened.  Thanksgiving weekend Last year 2017.  Just and FYI

13 hours ago, boatman22 said:

Can we also get the truck and trailer permit from the store?

If you have this OHV.jpg.245161af41c229b24d74389531f227b6.jpg  You only need to buy the camping pass for your truck $50.00 at the store for the week.  That is all you need to buy nothing for the 5th wheel . You don't need a out of state permit.

If you don't have OHV.jpg.245161af41c229b24d74389531f227b6.jpg Then you will need the California out of state permit for the SxS or any other gas powered toys.  Even the little kids Chinese built 50CC quads need a sticker from Texas or California.

Yes I have the Texas OHV sticker. I ordered the Ca OHV just in case as I have read that some of the PoPo can be a pain.  I also took the Fire exam and will get that permit also.

OHV.jpg

5 minutes ago, boatman22 said:

Yes I have the Texas OHV sticker. I ordered the Ca OHV just in case as I have read that some of the PoPo can be a pain.  I also took the Fire exam and will get that permit also.

OHV.jpg

The state of California thanks you for the funds, to bad they will just spend it on illegals and bullet trains.

Yeah what he said 

BBA23AA1-0216-4837-BA77-60C762B8AB3E.png

6 minutes ago, DEV'S RZR said:

Yeah what he said 

BBA23AA1-0216-4837-BA77-60C762B8AB3E.png

I remember this place! Wild times were had there.

Most of all have fun and take it all in.    Glamis is big, very big don't expect to see it all but make sure you take time to enjoy what you do see.    Don't be shy about asking people anything about Glamis, we were all new at some point and don't mind at all talking to newbies.    You can almost always expect over abundant sunshine and unfortunately a lot of the time wind.   You can never have enough gas or firewood so bring plenty of both.   And most importantly don't forget to enjoy it, it's the greatest place on earth.

The best advice you can get is find a local to follow. Glamis is awesome. But scary and dangerous if you dont know how to ride it.

When you find a place to camp, take your phone out and mark the spot on your GPS. This way if you do get turned around out there, day or night, you'll know how far and what direction camp is. There is a tall cell tower right behind the Glamis Beach store with a blinking red light on it, easy to see from most of Glamis, a good navigation beacon. Take a good look around and familiarize yourself with other landmarks (mtns, city lights, lighted balloon next camp over, etc) to make it easy to get back at night.

If you see someone stopped at the top of a ridge, they're usually taking a break. If they're down in the bottom of a bowl, they might be broke down. Flash a thumbs up to them as you come close and if they give you a thumbs down, they need help. Stop and see what you can do. If you need help, use the thumbs down signal to let others know you need help and most people (real duners) will stop to see what you need.

They have a Reach rescue helicopter company out there. If you think you might remotely have an accident, you can get insurance from them for the entire family for really cheap, like $25 covers the family for the entire season. If you do need to be medivac'd and you don't have their ins., then it's about $9,000 per person for a ride to the hospital.

Observe the regular rules of the road and use common sense. Stay to the right if you have oncoming traffic.   Watch your speed in high traffic areas, if you can't see over the rise or ridge, then slow down enough so you can stop or evade in time. Despite what some knuckleheads think, it's not lawless Mad Max out there. Sure, once you get away from the crowds and find some bowls to carve, let your throttle do the talking. In crowded areas it's best to keep your head on a swivel, drive ultra defensively and be on the lookout for idiots, drunks and drunken idiots.

Most of all, have a great time!

We had a great time riding Glamis. Found a great spot that was hard and was able to pull in to camp. Rode all over and watch the fast guys race up Oldsmobile. Incredible machines.

Awesome that you guys had a good experience, worried u would have issues finding a good campsite! Hope you make it an annual trip for your family. Welcome to the brotherhood of sand lovers!