Jump to content
duneatv

Fatality at wash 16

Recommended Posts

So sorry to hear about the great loss. The kiddie tracks are really dangerous if they are missed and one crashes into them. However, one has to be very cautious especially at night because of the dust one can't see where they are located.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I camp at wash 6 and it is literally a joke of how many accidents/rzrs flip in those kiddie tracks. I want to bring my 973 trackloader from work and just plow all of those things down to grade. NOBODY likes them anymore. They were cool in 2003 now they are just plain dangerous. But hey that's ok BLM is more concerned if your LED whip light is red... LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I heard about this at the ceremony from Brian,   The EMT that was on sight.  Very sad. My prayers go out to the family, I can’t imagine what they are feeling right now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sad for sure my condolences to all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as Everyone Hates the Kiddy Tracks we need to simply remember that the speed in the camping are is 15 miles per hour. How can we take the things we have all had away from the kids that we bring out to the desert. My kids are 14 and 17 and they no longer build or use the kiddy tracks.  I still don't believe that the kiddy tracks are to blame for the accidents. We need to be the ones that police our own actions and just slow down in the camping areas.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Fireman said:

As much as Everyone Hates the Kiddy Tracks we need to simply remember that the speed in the camping are is 15 miles per hour. How can we take the things we have all had away from the kids that we bring out to the desert. My kids are 14 and 17 and they no longer build or use the kiddy tracks.  I still don't believe that the kiddy tracks are to blame for the accidents. We need to be the ones that police our own actions and just slow down in the camping areas.  

This

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, banshee380 said:

I camp at wash 6 and it is literally a joke of how many accidents/rzrs flip in those kiddie tracks. I want to bring my 973 trackloader from work and just plow all of those things down to grade. NOBODY likes them anymore. They were cool in 2003 now they are just plain dangerous. But hey that's ok BLM is more concerned if your LED whip light is red... LOL

My kids like them and I’d help them build it again.  What are you supposed to tell the young ones. Hey go ride in the dunes. There are guys in buggy’s not paying attention riding by camp.  This is their area  dumb kids. Maybe you can plow the whoops off of olds so the 2d guys can go faster through that too. 

Edited by jtmoney714

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, banshee380 said:

I camp at wash 6 and it is literally a joke of how many accidents/rzrs flip in those kiddie tracks. I want to bring my 973 trackloader from work and just plow all of those things down to grade. NOBODY likes them anymore. They were cool in 2003 now they are just plain dangerous. But hey that's ok BLM is more concerned if your LED whip light is red... LOL

Make sure you plow over by the foot of Brawley Slide and the backside of China Wall as well, very dangerous...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's sad that Society today wants to place blame on everthing else.

 

RIP Accountability 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CRUSTY said:

It's sad that Society today wants to place blame on everthing else.

 

RIP Accountability 

 

This^^^ 

 

Condolences to all involved, but I've gotta ask. Isn't blaming the kiddie track the same thing as blaming the gun??

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love kiddie tracks, especially on an ATC90! Tons of fun! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man...this SUCKS!  RIP fellow duners.  I've hit the berm tracks in the dust before but I drive slow enough that it didn't do any damage....I just looked stupid.  First thing I tell the new Glamis goers in our camp is, drive slow in the washes and watch for berm tracks and kids!  I see people rippin through the whoops by wash road and it pisses me off. 

My buddy who lives in Yuma and goes to the dunes every weekend for the last 20 years broke his front wheel off last year in Gordons.  He tied it all up and was tri-poding back to camp at 5mph.  He didn't think he needed his belt because he was literally idling back.  His broken A arm dug in and he rolled one time down a 3' razor.  He instinctively just held on to the wheel and kept his hands inside....but with no harness he came out of the seat and the top bar crushed his head into the sand.  Knocked him out and split his head wide open.  The headset saved his life.  I always wear my belt now....even riding over to the crapper or another camp to visit a buddy!

 

~jw

Edited by jwest2sh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2018 at 3:18 PM, Fireman said:

As much as Everyone Hates the Kiddy Tracks we need to simply remember that the speed in the camping are is 15 miles per hour. How can we take the things we have all had away from the kids that we bring out to the desert. My kids are 14 and 17 and they no longer build or use the kiddy tracks.  I still don't believe that the kiddy tracks are to blame for the accidents. We need to be the ones that police our own actions and just slow down in the camping areas.  

People wanna bitch about buggies flipping this time. But if you are going so fast you cant see the track, the day is comming a buggy plows a kid in a kiddie track. Then everyone will bitch about speed around kiddie tracks. Just go go wake speed in the marina. Wear your belt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jwest2sh said:

Man...this SUCKS!  RIP fellow duners.  I've hit the berm tracks in the dust before but I drive slow enough that it didn't do any damage....I just looked stupid.  First thing I tell the new Glamis goers in our camp is, drive slow in the washes and watch for berm tracks and kids!  I see people rippin through the whoops by wash road and it pisses me off. 

My buddy who lives in Yuma and goes to the dunes every weekend for the last 20 years broke his front wheel off last year in Gordons.  He tied it all up and was tri-poding back to camp at 5mph.  He didn't think he needed his belt because he was literally idling back.  His broken A arm dug in and he rolled one time down a 3' razor.  He instinctively just held on to the wheel and kept his hands inside....but with no harness he came out of the seat and the top bar crushed his head into the sand.  Knocked him out and split his head wide open.  The headset saved his life.  I always wear my belt now....even riding over to the crapper or another camp to visit a buddy!

 

~jw

I did the exact same thing. No belt because I couldn't wear it and reach pedals from right seat, needed to be in right seat because mid engine. If in drivers seat broken corner was too low. I was only one tall enough to reach controls from right side but couldn't wear belts. Witches eye and end over end we went. Never again will that happen. Luckly only beat up and bruised at idle speed.

We have safety equipment and we need to use it always.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.kyma.com/news/chp-one-dead-one-injured-after-vehicle-rollover/861852287

Quote

EL CENTRO, Calif. - A 44-year-old man is dead after a driver missed a raised berm and caused their vehicle to roll over just south of State Route 78, according to California Highway Patrol. 

CHP said at approximately 8:47 a.m. the driver of a 2007 Dune Buggy was traveling northbound in the open desert of Glamis south of SR-78 at about 35 mph and did not see a raised berm in its path. 

The vehicle hit the berm and launched the vehicle in the air where it continued to move forward, overturned end over end and came to rest upon its wheels. 

The 44-year-old passenger was not wearing a seatbelt and was ejected out of the vehicle.

He was pronounced dead in result to suffering blunt force trauma to the head. 

The driver suffered a broken arm and was transported to Pioneers Memorial Hospital in Brawley for treatment. 

CHP said alcohol or drugs do not appear to be a factor. 

 

If anyone knows the name of the gentleman (Passenger) who passed away, please post it here or send me a PM - thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew him. he was a great man and always smiling. RIP brotha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BRINGENKAOS said:

I knew him. he was a great man and always smiling. RIP brotha

See "New Memorial" thread. If his family would like his name on the plaque, send info.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

See "New Memorial" thread. If his family would like his name on the plaque, send info.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

I will get the message to his wife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.