WLD-OTZ

Vaping........ Really?

I started smoking when I was about 15. for them that knows me, that was a LOOOONG time ago. 

I have quit, or hesitated numerous times, sometimes for a month or three, a couple times for a year or a little better. It always comes back to, I simply loved smoking. Not the smell, not the wheezing struggle of breathing after just a few flights of stairs, but the activity. I loved it. No matter what was happening in my life, I could step out to the back patio, light up, breathe deep and slowly, everything would fit back into it's own slot like it should. Once I tried Chantix, and after what I felt was a pretty successful quitting for 4 months, I found myself walking in circles around my truck in the driveway about 11 at night, feeling like there was never to be any joy ever.  I have tried the gum, and I have tried the patches. Blech... all of em... I tried the cold turkey, I tried substituting other activities(sex was a a pretty close one, but then, when done, what do you want? yah.. me too), but nothing stopped the craving. 

Now, we all know how smoking is not good for us and we'll get cancer and bla bla bla... we have all heard it ad nauseam, people who have successfully quit flitting about like a fairy in a SF Day parade by the bay, bragging about how wonderful they are and they have never felt better and I wanted to break out the 7mm Magnum and play a few rounds of The Most Dangerous Game.. you know, just for fun. 

As we get older, it is harder to  recover from things, and the little things do affect us more. And face it, smoking is a pretty nasty habit. I decided to try vaping. Did a little research, and decided to go the vape pod and Nicotine salts route. Start with the higher concentrations and work my way down over a period of months. 

Cigs now are $80+ a carton, so when I bought the pod and a bottle of the juice for a total of $64, I thought, Hey, this isn't that bad. I bought the 50mg tobacco flavored juice. It was 'okay', but certainly nothing to write home about. I had tried vaping before, and it was a wholly unsatisfactory experience. It never felt 'right'. I was always still jonesing for a 'real' cigarette.  But the Nicotine salts act more like real nicotine in your body. Where before, you really didn't know when to put down the vape, because it was never satisfying, to now, you give it a few drags, and you are good to go. And I am not carrying around a vape that has a battery that weighs in pounds, and could jump start my car. I am not blowing great clouds of steam to show just how cool I am. It is filling a need that I have not been able to break. 

That was three months ago when I bough the pod, and I have not had a 'real' cigarette since that evening when I brought this home. I have worked down from 50mg juice to 25 mg, and hopefully, over the next few months, I can get down to where there is no nicotine, then I can look at putting it down for good. I am an old dog, and new tricks are coming slow, but I do feel a lot better overall. 

Say what you will about vaping, or as one of our beloved members call it 'Sucking an electronic c*ck', it seems to be working for me. I am just into the 'scene'. 

Edit to add: I am no longer spending $80 every other week or so, the juice costs me about $20 every other week. 

Edited by WLD-OTZ

Congrats to you John.

Cigarettes are a filthy nasty habit....you don't think WE ALL have our own filthy nasty habits?

Keep at it, some day I may be able to drive past a Mickey D's when the Mc Rib is in season and not lose my mind  :lol:

Health is important, do what it takes to get yours where it needs to be.

:cheers:

I'm glad you quit smoking, my son just started to vape and honestly I don't know how much he is doing or what. I really don't like him doing it. I hear it's bad and all, and as a mom I feel like sh!t I never smoked or vaped. I only drink and yes I know it's bad too but honestly I would like him to quit. how do you know what MG he is doing?

I like conservatives that vape better than liberals that don’t :kick:

You do you. I’m all on board with people  vaping  to replace the cig. 

20 minutes ago, RAPTORLICIOUS33 said:

I'm glad you quit smoking, my son just started to vape and honestly I don't know how much he is doing or what. I really don't like him doing it. I hear it's bad and all, and as a mom I feel like sh!t I never smoked or vaped. I only drink and yes I know it's bad too but honestly I would like him to quit. how do you know what MG he is doing?

The juice bottle will tell you. Nicotine salts measure in mg. The regular, or what they call 'freebase' nicotine is measured in %. It closely mirrors each other tho. 5% freebase nicotine is roughly 50mg. 3.5% is roughly equal to 35mg and so on. It is written very small, so grab yore readers. There is a lot of juice marketed toward the 'scene' crowd that has no nicotine at all. Not that anyone would market to children. 

What happened the the original Fox News video???

Just now, Wash 10 Crew said:

What happened the the original Fox News video???

It's right there..... it is in YORE thread! :sha:

35 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

Congrats to you John.

Cigarettes are a filthy nasty habit....you don't think WE ALL have our own filthy nasty habits?

Keep at it, some day I may be able to drive past a Mickey D's when the Mc Rib is in season and not lose my mind  :lol:

Health is important, do what it takes to get yours where it needs to be.

:cheers:

it may be nasty, but never as nasty as mcrib sauce on your shirt when you walk into a meeting. 

30 minutes ago, WLD-OTZ said:

It's right there..... it is in YORE thread! :sha:

I was having a skinny jean moment.................:sha:

As I read this. Carry on

15424142841876159108125294816739.jpg

serious question?  I don't smoke, drink or vape.  I was told and read that you are sucking in heavy metals when you vape. Probably no better than butane, or sulfur from a match.  Can you tell a difference?

December 26th this year will mark one year for me not having a cigarette. I have been down the same roads as W O. Vaping wasn't an easy transition but it helped with the hand to mouth. I still cant own a shirt without a chest pocket and not try to stuff my vape in there. Its odd habits that are hard to break. Friends will laugh at me every time I try and use that missing pocket. The vape has been a good transition for ME, cant say its for everyone but its been good. I dont stink of smoke, nor my truck and the rest of my stuff. I woked my way down from 25MG to 3MG now. From here it will be a habit breaking venture. Just like W O, I still enjoy smoking.  

55 minutes ago, MGM/FRP said:

serious question?  I don't smoke, drink or vape.  I was told and read that you are sucking in heavy metals when you vape. Probably no better than butane, or sulfur from a match.  Can you tell a difference?

It's possible if using coil wire of unknown origin or from manufacturing residue. Also using old corroded wire.

In a nutshell, it's organic cotton ran through a stainless steel, kanthal, nicrom,  or nickel coil "resistor" Coil heats up to about 400-600* and the veggie juice, PG and natural flavors "smolder" into vapor. All the rest is stainless and surgical steel. Again, if buying knockoffs, wouldn't put past Chinese to put lead in the damn things.

prebuilt-kanthal-a1-fused-clapton-coil.jpg

Vape-Wires-and-Vape-Coils.jpg

Edited by Legit Duner

Great for all of you quitting is effing tough. 

1 hour ago, Grease Monkey said:

December 26th this year will mark one year for me not having a cigarette. I have been down the same roads as W O. Vaping wasn't an easy transition but it helped with the hand to mouth. I still cant own a shirt without a chest pocket and not try to stuff my vape in there. Its odd habits that are hard to break. Friends will laugh at me every time I try and use that missing pocket. The vape has been a good transition for ME, cant say its for everyone but its been good. I dont stink of smoke, nor my truck and the rest of my stuff. I woked my way down from 25MG to 3MG now. From here it will be a habit breaking venture. Just like W O, I still enjoy smoking.  

I'm sure if I still smoked and tried to quit the vape would be the go to. Not convinced it would work for me or it would just be a substitute. Cold Turkey. Sunflower seeds.

It's been almost 20 years and I still crave a smoke a couple times a week.  

But.......no matter how you do it it's a mother eff*er. Congrats to you guys for doing it and/or trying. Too many other ways to get cancer.

Edited by spize909

23 minutes ago, spize909 said:

I'm sure if I still smoked and tried to quit the vape would be the go to. Not convinced it would work for me or it would just be a substitute. Cold Turkey. Sunflower seeds.

It's been almost 20 years and I still crave a smoke a couple times a week.  

But.......no matter how you do it it's a mother eff*er. Congrats to you guys for doing it and/or trying. Too many other ways to get cancer.

I sure hate to die of nothing....

5 hours ago, 2turbofords said:

As I read this. Carry on

15424142841876159108125294816739.jpg

I thought you were holding a diesel injector, 2turbofords. I thought "The f#ck is that? I had to blow it up to read "WISMEC".  God, I lead a sheltered life.

I read your first post intently, WLD-OTZ.      Like, two lines at a time.......then stop to think about it. I have no Idea what it's like to go through that kind of craving. And the "hand to mouth, reaching in the pocket" muscle memory kind of withdrawal thing that, I guess, quitting involves. 80 bucks a carton......I had no idea.

I have plenty of bad habits of my own.

I hope the vaping works for you this time around and the quitting sticks, for good. Rooting for you. Good Luck.

Good for you and keep it up! I quit 40 years ago and it was extremely hard to do then. I sincerely believe the tobacco industry has tweaked there recipes to make it harder, if not impossible to quit now. 

Dune long and prosper bro

On 11/16/2018 at 4:44 PM, MGM/FRP said:

I can tell a major difference. I can breathe much easier, I don't get out of breath(as easy, I am still a fat effer). I do feel a lot better. No smoke smell on my clothes or in the car. The urge to smoke is going away, it is only now and then I have the  urge for a 'real' smoke. 

There are a couple types of juice, the VG, Vegetable Glycerin, and PG, Propylene Glycol. I get a bad effect from pure PG, and VG is so thick it is hard on yore equipment, so the brand I use is 70% VG/30% PG. Their health effects I could not tell you will any certainty, but I have a feeling that my 41 years of smoking overshadows what a little anti freeze can do to me. I did read the other day, however, that in white conservative American males, the death rate is hovering right at 100%.

This is my vape. the tank and battery last all day, I may expel a bit more than a regular cigarette, but not the hanging clouds that folks who are into cloud chasing do. For now, it is keeping me balanced and out of jail. I hope to be able to follow in GM's shoes and drop it completely before summer. 

KIMG0865.JPG

Geez a lot of guys with oral fixations around here.  I'm buying soap on a rope so none of your Nancys get any ideas.

34 minutes ago, megadesertdiesel said:

Geez a lot of guys with oral fixations around here.  I'm buying soap on a rope so none of your Nancys get any ideas.

Methinks thou dost protest too much....