Dirtywhiteboy

Need air compressor advice!!! Which to use with a genny?

Built a stacker with a 4000 w Onan (specs below) and bought a big compressor for it that I thought would work, but it would not fire off compressor even empty with my Onan at all. I didnt get the specs off the current compressor before  I removed, but it weighed a good 100lbs. with a stand up tank and wire basket over the motor, etc. All I want to do is fill up 35" tires at camp on occasion. Whats quiet and will do the job in your opinion, but be safe for me to operate with a 4000? Thanks much!

4.0KYFA-26100
Manufacturer Onan RV
Made In USA Yes
Rated Watts 4000 Watts
Rated Amps 33
Voltage 120V Single Phase
AC Ton Rating Single Roof AC
Decibel Rating 7m 68 dB(A) at 10 feet.
Edited by Dirtywhiteboy

I like the small 'pancake' style compressors that would normally run a nail gun indoors.  Plenty of air, light weight and my Honda eu1000 will run it if I baby it on startup.  My Honda 2000i runs if perfectly.  I have one from California Air Tools (2050a)  that was a bit more expensive, but is whisper quiet.  I hate a loud compressor.

Edited by 1newbie
update

C02.

I ditched the compressor completely a couple seasons ago.

Most of my tools are electric/cordless these days so C02 is quiet and easy. It will also air up the 22.5's on my motorhome easily when needed.

Grab a regulator setup and then just use the "beverage" tanks from the welding shop and swap the bottle out at the end of every season to be safe. Its like $20 a year.

6 minutes ago, nyceguy01 said:

C02.

I ditched the compressor completely a couple seasons ago.

Most of my tools are electric/cordless these days so C02 is quiet and easy. It will also air up the 22.5's on my motorhome easily when needed.

Grab a regulator setup and then just use the "beverage" tanks from the welding shop and swap the bottle out at the end of every season to be safe. Its like $20 a year.

I've heard of people doing similar with nitrogen.

I have one of those small pancake home type compressors.

I carry Nitrogen as well for shock work and tuning etc..

The CO2 lasts a ton longer when filling tires etc...  And its super cheap.

Heres a regulator similar to what I use but the non adjustable ones are just as good.

They also sell a handle kit but the beverage tanks have them on the tank.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Flow-Adjustable-Not-Fixed-Co2-Regulator-Offroad-Jeep-Tires-DIY/222722253464?hash=item33db47e298:g:AtQAAOSws19ZiSF9:rk:7:pf:0

58 minutes ago, Dirtywhiteboy said:

Built a stacker with a 4000 w Onan (specs below) and bought a big compressor for it that I thought would work. Started on a 100' extension cord plugged into 110, but would not turn over empty with my Onan at all. I didnt get the specs off the current compressor before  I removed, but it weighed a good 100lbs. All I want to do is fill up 35" tires at camp on occasion. Whats quiet and will do the job in your opinion, but be safe for me genny to operate? Thanks much!

4.0KYFA-26100
Manufacturer Onan RV
Made In USA Yes
Rated Watts 4000 Watts
Rated Amps 33
Voltage 120V Single Phase
AC Ton Rating Single Roof AC
Decibel Rating 7m 68 dB(A) at 10 feet.

The onan is not the problem, its the extension cord.  You want the shortest power cord you can go with.  https://www.harborfreight.com/2-gallon-12-hp-135-psi-ultra-quiet-oil-free-professional-air-compressor-64596.html

I have mine on a hose reel.  It stays aired up and runs off my inverter so I always have air.  Dont over think it.

If for some reason I had to air down my truck tires to go rescue someone I just use the on board air on one of the buses.

I've used both Nitrogen and CO2.  Nitrogen stayed in the tire longer than CO2, but a tank of CO2 with last a lot longer than a tank of Nitrogen. 

It's also nice to be able to turn the pressure regulator up to 200psi to run an impact on a super stubborn bolt...

55 minutes ago, nyceguy01 said:

The CO2 lasts a ton longer when filling tires etc...  And its super cheap.

I found an adapter at a welding supply store to allow me to use the same regulator setup for both tanks too.

No extension cord. Just the onan 4000. Just looking for advice on amp wattage etc and which smaller compressor might do the trick. Thx!

I use this one on the trailer and home.  Very portable.  Also my trailer has the Onan 4000

0A50914F-D5B4-4CF2-87DC-E4C69173D99A.jpeg

Edited by 310kick

Craig, I have the older model of this one. I can use the impact to take off a tire and by the time I am ready to put it back on it’s already refilled.  It also has filled totally flat pusher rear tire in just a couple minutes. My Honda 3000 works it just fine.

BE19DB75-FC11-4125-9077-B74D201DEB7A.jpeg

Since no one else here has said it...

Is the circuit that you plug it into working fine for other things?  What kind of load are you putting on the circuit besides the compressor?

You'll want at least a 20 amp fused circuit to run that compressor without issue.

This might be an easy fix.

This is what I keep in the moho. Works well with the big Genny or my 2000. As far as quiet I would say it is normal for a compressor and you can hear it. Not sure how quiet you can get.  http://www.aircompressortalk.com/best-quiet-air-compressors/

dewalt-portable-air-compressors-dwfp55126-64_1000.jpg

I have this one for work, In its size and class it puts out the most air at 6.5 CFM at 90 psi, that's enough to run some tools and fill a tire pretty quick. if you have room to mount it someplace then this is a great compressor.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-5-2-Gal-3-0-HP-Electric-Single-Tank-Air-Compressor-MAC5200/202713486

As Mac stated you need to see what amps you are pulling threw your circuit, this one is 13 amps so that will max out a 15 amp circuit and should be run on a dedicated breaker. As far as noise compressors air loud, I think this one is not as bad as the oil less ones.

great suggestions gentlemen, glad to know they work on smaller genny's.

This will work no problem. Light and easy to use. We've popped my 1300 plus x 15 paddle back on the bead out in the dunes with just the tank full of air.  That Makita Stugots posted would put out more air though.

image.thumb.png.d60a2312d249930973bddb364923ac91.png

My Honda 2000 runs this no problems!

Question, the compressor you currently have, is it single phase 110VAC?
I can't imagine an Onan 4000 having any issue firing a compressor! 

image.thumb.png.99e8e1a6e48851099a7ca0dc8f79a67c.png

Your generator could probably run any compressor with no more than a 1 HP motor as the power requirement drops to approximately 1600/4500 watts run/start-up respectively... any of the aforementioned small portable/contractor style compressors would be fine... daughter had the DeWalt like 310kick, her 4000 Onan ran it no prob.  As far as being quiet, that's subjective however, IMHO, all of the direct-drive/oil less compressors I've had or been around seem to be a little more noisy than the larger, oil lubricated units.  Kind of a moot point given the output of your generator... maybe the newer units are a bit more quiet.

Edited by carboy
Re-read your Onan specs- 120 volt, no 240.

2 hours ago, spize909 said:

This will work no problem. Light and easy to use. We've popped my 1300 plus x 15 paddle back on the bead out in the dunes with just the tank full of air.  That Makita Stugots posted would put out more air though.

thanks, seems like a good deal!

anyone else have feed back on this?

as already stated 100' cord is your issue.......especially if it was a 14 gauge or smaller. If it was orange......well that's usually not the cord to use.

9 minutes ago, spize909 said:

as already stated 100' cord is your issue.......especially if it was a 14 gauge or smaller. If it was orange......well that's usually not the cord to use.

17 hours ago, Dirtywhiteboy said:

No extension cord. Just the onan 4000. Just looking for advice on amp wattage etc and which smaller compressor might do the trick. Thx!

19 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

Unless I am tripping the original, EDITED post said he was running it off of a 100' extension cord..........but thanks for the clarification.

17 minutes ago, spize909 said:

Unless I am tripping the original, EDITED post said he was running it off of a 100' extension cord..........but thanks for the clarification.

yes he did say that

3 hours ago, spize909 said:

Will a Honda 2000 run this?