Jump to content
dbatman

Got a Yamaha YXZ

Recommended Posts

I picked up a 2016 1000r from Fun Bike Center in San Diego. 300 miles and 37 hours. Aftermarket cage and front bumper / skid plate , PRP harnesses , led light bar and 2 led pod lights on front bumper. got if for what I thought was a fair price. 16 K. Has a few blemishes from use and the doors fit like crap ( but work .

Took it to El Mirage Tuesday to get familiar with it and totally had a blast. My wife has a bad hip and was leery about how bad it would  beat on her. She had a complete blast as well. The harness kept her secure in the seat , she said it was more comfortable than our truck.

Haven't  drove a stick in years so  it took a few minutes to get used to the clutch / gas thing. Clutch is a little grabby. Spent most of the day tooling around the flat stuff , Could have driven all day and never go above 4K rpm. Very impressed with the power it has at low speed. Not a tractor , but definitely not a slug either. Found out it tops out at 80 mph.

Going to pick up a disco whip from jjoseph  - just need to call him on Monday and set a date / time for pick up.

Next trip is to Ocotillo / Truckhaven as soon as the rain stops. 

Stay safe everybody and may the holiday season bring you and your families love and joy

Don Batman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, dbatman said:

I picked up a 2016 1000r from Fun Bike Center in San Diego. 300 miles and 37 hours. Aftermarket cage and front bumper / skid plate , PRP harnesses , led light bar and 2 led pod lights on front bumper. got if for what I thought was a fair price. 16 K. Has a few blemishes from use and the doors fit like crap ( but work .

Took it to El Mirage Tuesday to get familiar with it and totally had a blast. My wife has a bad hip and was leery about how bad it would  beat on her. She had a complete blast as well. The harness kept her secure in the seat , she said it was more comfortable than our truck.

Haven't  drove a stick in years so  it took a few minutes to get used to the clutch / gas thing. Clutch is a little grabby. Spent most of the day tooling around the flat stuff , Could have driven all day and never go above 4K rpm. Very impressed with the power it has at low speed. Not a tractor , but definitely not a slug either. Found out it tops out at 80 mph.

Going to pick up a disco whip from jjoseph  - just need to call him on Monday and set a date / time for pick up.

Next trip is to Ocotillo / Truckhaven as soon as the rain stops. 

Stay safe everybody and may the holiday season bring you and your families love and joy

Don Batman

Congrats sir!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome,  (GOOD TIMES) that’s what it’s all about. ?

Edited by EVBM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

congrats 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a great deal to me! Congrats!! Let's see this thing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool !  I’d like to drive one 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yamaha would be my choice as well, maybe one day.

Congratulations on the new ride, I would love to see some pictures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats VERY nice...congrats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has a good look with some of the Yamaha decals off of the yellow sides.

The after market cage and lights  gives it attitude. 

I like it, enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mike dee said:

Very cool !  I’d like to drive one 

I would be glad to share if we ever meet up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations, they are fun and reliable,  I have a 2016. You’ll find the power band in 5k plus.  If it’s in your budget send your shocks to Weller racing and have them re-valued and new springs, I had them do the KOH set-up and installed Eibach sway bars, those changes  yield a big improvement. 

I have a 2 seat mid engine LS sand rail  for the dunes but take the Yamaha sometimes too. Enjoy your new ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice looking ride and a very fair price. Is this your first SxS? I see you've been a member for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, JKR951 said:

Congratulations, they are fun and reliable,  I have a 2016. You’ll find the power band in 5k plus.  If it’s in your budget send your shocks to Weller racing and have them re-valued and new springs, I had them do the KOH set-up and installed Eibach sway bars, those changes  yield a big improvement. 

I have a 2 seat mid engine LS sand rail  for the dunes but take the Yamaha sometimes too. Enjoy your new ride.

Thank you. To be honest , I have a numb butt when it comes to shocks and tuning them. I have looked at the Weller kits and will have to wait for a while before doing something like that. I am 66 yo and just enjoy getting out and about. As long as it doesn't beat me to death , I am ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, SofaKing said:

Nice looking ride and a very fair price. Is this your first SxS? I see you've been a member for a long time.

Thank you. First SXS for us . moving up from a quad . Purchased a sand rail from a member was reason for joining. Lots of good people and information here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice ride. Nice report of first time out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

X2 on the Weller suspension work, totally worth the money. I have the same rig and not only does it ride much better now, but the big deal is safety.  I got the desert setup, springs and shock valving, and it cured the awful tail kick of the stock setup (not enough rebound damping available in the rear with the stock setup). I was always afraid of an endo before, but now it is much more predictable and safer in the desert and the  dunes. Don't waste your money on the spring adjusting tools like I did, because when you get them back from Weller they will already be set up great. Best todo shocks and springs at the same time, otherwise you will soon be sending them back to get the other half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is the 4wd low on it? Low enough for mild rock crawling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, offroader59 said:

How is the 4wd low on it? Low enough for mild rock crawling?

They don’t have a high/low.  Not a rock crawler, 1st is a bit tall for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JKR951 said:

They don’t have a high/low.  Not a rock crawler, 1st is a bit tall for that.

OK thanks. I've been doing some reading and the 2019s will have taller tires and lower gears to compensate. I also read where you can get a torque assist gear kit(TAG) direct from yamaha for the older models.

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/gytr-torque-assist-gear-kit-for-the-yxz1000r-ss?b=Search&ls=yamaha-motor-company

Edited by offroader59

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP got a good deal on the 2016, I paid close to 20k in 2016. And put another 13k in before ever hitting the dirt.                                                   Nice thing about this hobby is being able to have fun at the level you are comfortable with.                                        

dbatman, have fun with your new ride. Hit me up if you have any questions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, offroader59 said:

How is the 4wd low on it? Low enough for mild rock crawling?

It only has 4x4  and 4x4 locked. I would think that anything requiring crawling up at a crawl would be a challenge due to the stock gearing. I only tried out 4x4 on mine for a short time and do not have any real experience to give an honest opinion. There were a couple of baby hills out there that looked like they would be fun to go over , but I  was not comfortable enough yet to do them . Big sissy grandpa for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, offroader59 said:

OK thanks. I've been doing some reading and the 2019s will have taller tires and lower gears to compensate. I also read where you can get a torque assist gear kit(TAG) direct from yamaha for the older models.

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/gytr-torque-assist-gear-kit-for-the-yxz1000r-ss?b=Search&ls=yamaha-motor-company

Yes, you are correct.  Yamaha offers lower gears, as does Tubeworks.  (Weller Racing offers install)

I recently bought a 2016 YXZ with the gear reduction already installed and 30" tires.

First gear is noticeably low.  I generally start off in 2nd gear.   Speedo tops out @ 60 mph/redline on the speedo.  Haven't checked to see if the speedo is off due to the gear/tire combo.

So far I've just done local desert trails, but with the low 1st gear and front diff lock, it should be sufficient at some crawling.

BTW, this is my first SxS and I feel like a rallye car driver banging through the gears on desert trails, downshifting into and then accelerating out of corners.  :igar: They are a blast to drive.   :biggrin:

Edited by azcg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.