FAMILY OF 4

Recommend a place to shave down a seat?

So my youngest is very small and I’m trying to modify her LT80 to accommodate her size by shaving and narrowing her seat.  I live in Cerritos and there are quite a few Upholstry shops down the street in bellflower. Is this something any Upholstry guy can do or should I find a guy that does motorcycle seats on the regular? Any place you’ve had good luck with that you’d like to recommend?

If you have some pliers, a razor blade and a stapler, you can do it yourself. Pull out the staples on one side, peel off the naugahyde cover, pull the foam off the seat and trim however much foam you want off the bottom side. Pull the seatcover back on and staple it back on underneath. This way even if you don't quite cut the foam smoothly, the visible side of the seat is still smooth. 

6 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

If you have some pliers, a razor blade and a stapler, you can do it yourself. Pull out the staples on one side, peel off the naugahyde cover, pull the foam off the seat and trim however much foam you want off the bottom side. Pull the seatcover back on and staple it back on underneath. This way even if you don't quite cut the foam smoothly, the visible side of the seat is still smooth. 

It never crossed my mind to try it myself. Cutting from the bottom is a great call. 

the garage would probably be the best place...imo.

Buddy of mine is vertically challenged and cuts his seat foam down with an electric carving knife. Even done some shaping with Air sander.

Air stapler/brad nail worked the best for me for recovering as I recall.

Maybe I’ll give it a shot I just didn’t want to mess up and have to buy a new seat to replace them have to shave that one. 

Eddie and sons have recovered seats for me in the past, they know what they're doing.

45 minutes ago, jaybird95 said:

Eddie and sons have recovered seats for me in the past, they know what they're doing.

They are super close. I’ll swing by Friday. Thanks. 

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:07 PM, endobear said:

Buddy of mine is vertically challenged and cuts his seat foam down with an electric carving knife. Even done some shaping with Air sander.

Air stapler/brad nail worked the best for me for recovering as I recall.

your basic staple gun will not work well on those seats, tried it before and the staple sticks out about half way. 

7 minutes ago, JaredDustin said:

your basic staple gun will not work well on those seats, tried it before and the staple sticks out about half way. 

Harbor Freight air stapler. About $25.

I like doing my own seats. Peal back the cover, mark the area to be removed with a sharpie, cut away the bulk with serrated knife, low speed sander to smooth out. Test and do again until perfect. Restaple cover. If wrinkles in cover when done, pull out the offending staples, pull snug and staple again. It's pretty easy.

Just now, ahipara 55 said:

Harbor Freight air stapler. About $25.

I like doing my own seats. Peal back the cover, mark the area to be removed with a sharpie, cut away the bulk with serrated knife, low speed sander to smooth out. Test and do again until perfect. Restaple cover. If wrinkles in cover when done, pull out the offending staples, pull snug and staple again. It's pretty easy.

my old dirt bike I could not find a seat cover I liked so I sewed up my own, they are actually pretty easy to do. I think most people are just scared to try it. I didn't have the right stapler but little bit of glue and the stapler I did have got the job done, rode it a lot with no issues, sold that bike quite a while ago and it was still looking good. 

to the op, just give it a try I think you will be surprised how easy it is. 

15 hours ago, FAMILY OF 4 said:

Maybe I’ll give it a shot I just didn’t want to mess up and have to buy a new seat to replace them have to shave that one. 

I was thinking about this yesterday while driving. I need to shorten a motorcycle myself due to very short legs. My solution is to adjust the suspension so the bike sits low enough for her feet to touch. This way later on as she get older, you can adjust it back up to normal height and you haven't lowered the resale value by changing the seat.

Hope this helps!

4 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

I was thinking about this yesterday while driving. I need to shorten a motorcycle myself due to very short legs. My solution is to adjust the suspension so the bike sits low enough for her feet to touch. This way later on as she get older, you can adjust it back up to normal height and you haven't lowered the resale value by changing the seat.

Hope this helps!

Costs about $800 to have someone lower a suspension correctly. Somewhat prohibitive for a kids bike. No?

If you have access to an electric carving knife, they work great and have a long blade that you can level better.

Costs about $800 to have someone lower a suspension correctly. Somewhat prohibitive for a kids bike. No?

I had this done on my daughters bike back when.  Precision Concepts did it...worked great.

Just loosen the triple clamps on teh front forks and side them up an inch or 1-1/2". Then adjust the rear spring perch to lower the rear ride height. She'll lose 1 to 1-1/2" of suspension travel, but at that age she's probably not jumping too high.

I bought a KLR650 and the recommended method for that was to buy and install lowering links (available in 1 to 3" versions) for about $25, then loosen the triple clamps and move the fork tubes up. No need to take it to anyone.

Just strap some blocks on the foot pegs...problem solved :)

17 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

Just loosen the triple clamps on teh front forks and side them up an inch or 1-1/2". Then adjust the rear spring perch to lower the rear ride height. She'll lose 1 to 1-1/2" of suspension travel, but at that age she's probably not jumping too high.

I bought a KLR650 and the recommended method for that was to buy and install lowering links (available in 1 to 3" versions) for about $25, then loosen the triple clamps and move the fork tubes up. No need to take it to anyone.

Forks on my 525 will slide up about 1/2" max before rebound adjustments are in the handlebars. I suppose one could use handlebar risers. Setting the preload in rear shock to sag the bike down will greatly reduced the bikes ability to perform and "clank" on full extension. This is a band aid mod at best.

Back to seat topic........

Edited by ahipara 55

10 minutes ago, i8sand said:

Just strap some blocks on the foot pegs...problem solved :)

I think the problem is she can't reach the ground when she's stopped.

27 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

I think the problem is she can't reach the ground when she's stopped.

It's a qaud.

Thanks for all the great ideas and advice. I guess I’ll elaborate a little on the situation. My daughter is 9 and the size of an average 3 year old. She has a form of dwarfism called CHH so the limbs are short and torso is average, I do not expect her to grow more than a few inches over the course of her becoming an adult. This is why I don’t mind modifying the bike and resale is not a concern, I want her center of gravity lower and have updated the suspension to ad stability. 

The LT80 is a quad not a 2 wheeler so it’s more of an issue reaching the pegs and brake pedal not the ground.  Her fingers are kind of short for the front brake lever as well. My other options are to cut and raise the pegs and brake lever and I bought a used set  in order to do that. I just figure that lowering the seat and her center of gravity would be the better start and if needed I can do the pegs and brake pedal. 

Edited by FAMILY OF 4

1 minute ago, endobear said:

It's a qaud.

Oh, ok. In his first post he said motorcycle seat and I never saw the word "quad" anywhere. Thanks!

23 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

Oh, ok. In his first post he said motorcycle seat and I never saw the word "quad" anywhere. Thanks!

I should have clarified. When I said a place that does motorcycle seat I figured maybe a Harley guy would chime in since they seem to get the seats fitted. 

On 11/28/2018 at 7:18 PM, jaybird95 said:

I pulled the seat cover off in an attempt to shave it myself but since the seat Is T shaped and has a few different angles I didn’t want to attempt.  I went to Eddie and sons. I’ll see what they can do. Thanks

Edited by FAMILY OF 4

On 11/29/2018 at 12:01 PM, socaldmax said:

image.jpg

Edited by FAMILY OF 4