jhuerta

Honda 3.2 or 3.5 average gas consumption question.

Hello all,

I have a question for the honda folks. How much gas does your honda sandcar consume. My car will waist about 9 gallons of fuel going from the vendor's at gecko road to oldsmobile and back.  My tank takes 15 gallons I would be at less than half a tank. Is that normal? I have a regular ECU 3.2 none turbo. 

I have a 3.5 with a 10 gallon tank can leave ranger station to swing set then dune over to olds head to store then parallel dunes back to camp my guess about 6 gallons. Went to duners diner from camp I think I used about 7 gallons. 

I had a vw before this and avg is about the same for me. Each one has a spot where they did better. 

With the 3.5 that was in our car previously we could go from Gordons down sand highway to vendor row and the store and back again with fuel to spare. I think our tank is 11 gallons. With the 6.0 that's in the car now I wouldn't attempt it.

28 minutes ago, jhuerta said:

Hello all,

I have a question for the honda folks. How much gas does your honda sandcar consume. My car will waist about 9 gallons of fuel going from the vendor's at gecko road to oldsmobile and back.  My tank takes 15 gallons I would be at less than half a tank. Is that normal? I have a regular ECU 3.2 none turbo. 

So, basically from the range station to Olds and back is 9 gallons? That is a lot. 

We're you on the rev limiter in first the whole way ?

Edited by Kraut_n_Rice

Wow! Okay I need to get my car tuned then and maybe buy a custom ECU like AEM.

I REALLY doubt a custom ECU will be more fuel efficient than what the engineers at Honda came up with...

Maybe start with an O2 sensor.

Okay. Yeah it has a rough idle so maybe a O2 sensor will fix it. 

I tried to connect a scanner to check the ECU but it wouldn't read. 

Does it seem like it's really rich at idle too?  Might be a MAP sensor issue.  

Both can make it very inefficient. 

Was it this bad before the 2d?

1 minute ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Does it seem like it's really rich at idle too?  Might be a MAP sensor issue.  

Both can make it very inefficient. 

I replaced the MAP and Air control valve already. I was thinking maybe the throttle body needs to be replaced but when I gas it it works good. 

No it would idel good and run fine if I remember correctly.  I only had one run before I swapped to the 2D and it wasn't a complete run since my shocks snap. 

I see you said you replaced it, I would've said MAP if you had mentioned the revving good part first.

I put a new tb on my Jeep, and it ran like shit after.  Super rich, fogging out my side yard,  Would rev great, but died returning to idle.  I had accidentally knocked the hose off to the MAP and didn't notice.  Put hose back on, all was good.

The MAP and TPS have the same connector.  Did you happen to swap them?

1 hour ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

The MAP and TPS have the same connector.  Did you happen to swap them?

I will take a look on the weekend. 

Thanks Kraut_n_Rice

For comparison, my 3.0  I can go from Plank Hwy south dunes to Sweet maries, Osbourn and back on about 4 gallons cruising.

my 3.2 will use about 6-7 gal staying in 4-6k range, lots of wot, and duning from washes, to olds, to big dunes, to sand drags, run the drags a few times and then dune back at the same pace. on a light cruise through the dunes with my kiddo in the back on a 2 hour run i use about 3-4 gal. 

i would check and make sure you are not running too high of fuel pressure as well. if the regulator can not back it down enough due to fuel pump volume, it will run rich and over fuel. make sure the return line is free of kinks and blockage too.

I'm glad to hear that. The guys at my camp did mention that they can smell fuel when they were behind me. I was really surprised how much power that engine has. Maybe it's the car to weight ratio.  It did awesome in the dunes. I might take it to a shop and have it looked at. A honda race shop near my home. 

Does your oil wreak of gas? If you're running really rich, you'll get gas in your crankcase.

Change that oil if it does, it'll wash out your bearings and cylinder walls.

Edited by Legit Duner

I will take a look at the oil also.

My daughter and wife want me to sell it but I have a feeling I am not. That thing is way better than driving RZR. I have a feeling I am not going to get what I want for it. 

I'll give ya five bucks.  You can keep the engine tho, it doesn't run right. Cool?

Lol 

My first trip with my current car. It has a 3.2 all stock and stock computer. It also has no 02, so it must be set up without it. I ran it hard for 4 and a half days and probably only used about 12 gallons of gas. Very nice considering my last v8 car would have burned about 50 gallons of race fuel in the same trip. 

I have a 3.5 in my Buggy Works car. I can go from Gecko (pad 4-5) to Duners Diner then dune back and hit Olds. Then head over to Venders row by the Beach store. Stop off at the drags for a bit, then head back to camp at Gecko around pad 4-5. I’ll  have about 3-5 gallons left out of a 15 gallon tank.