The looney duner

2 seat vs 4 seat

So I've been eyeballing a desert dynamics 4 seat car, not cause I need 4 seats, but 4 seat cars are easier to come by. Any ways, I got to wondering how different it is to drive a 4 seat in the dunes vs a 2 seat? Much different? Less nimble? My current car is a squirt+ and weighs about 2000#. The car I plan to switch to is a desert dynamics 1.5 chassis, and I don't know what they weigh.... The reason for the possible change is, front bypass, chromo chassis, and the possibility of getting a V8/S4  combo in the future. So what say the mighty GD board?? Any insight is welcome! TIA.

33 views and no one has an opinion?? Lol that is odd for this group....

I have a SXS  so my opinion doesn’t matter.  Good luck 

my brother just picked up a desert dynamics 1 5/8" car. ls with a fields auto transaxle 934's 3inch byhpasses in rear, 2inch bypasses up front. it weighs 3k lbs. i drove it vets weekend and it is very nimble. it didnt feel like it was that heavy while driving it.  my 2 seat desert dynamics is 3300lbs.

The small Funco 2 seaters with subie and 2d package always looked like fun. Not many out there.  I have also always been curious about a nice 2 seater vs the 4.

I just finished putting together a very similar car to what you are looking at. I was honestly interested in how well it duned being that it's much heavier than a 2 seater. I'd imagine i'm probably around 2400 lbs with a 2d and LS1. And all I can say is the car RIPS! It slides like nobodies business and with the turning brake it's one of the most fun cars I've ever driven. My dad has 2 seat squirt similar to yours but it's much lighter. No coilover, 091, 3.5 and that car obviously is more nimble, but there is nowhere he can go that I can't. I really played with tires and tire pressures this weekend and it definitely makes a big difference in how the car handles. I tried 8.50 x 15 razors at 15lbs and 12lbs and they hooked up way too much and threw a lot of sand. I through on a set of 33" blasters at 12lbs and they slide a bit too much, so I'm going to get them buffed and run them around 9 and I think that will be the ticket.  @J Alper knows a ton about DD cars and the right motor, trans, and weight combos to get the best duning cars. When I was building mine he suggested an iron block 6.0 because it gives the car a great balance. I ended up going with a LS1 because I got a great price on it. But he has great insight for all DD owners. With all that said I don't think you'll be disappointed with a 4 seat, but if you like the way your 2 seat runs and you don't need 4 seats, then I'd keep running the 2 seater.

Here's a photo of my dad and I's cars

IMG_6382.thumb.jpg.132bd2199a42562cfeba61455019a705.jpg

25 minutes ago, Kevin said:

my brother just picked up a desert dynamics 1 5/8" car. ls with a fields auto transaxle 934's 3inch byhpasses in rear, 2inch bypasses up front. it weighs 3k lbs. i drove it vets weekend and it is very nimble. it didnt feel like it was that heavy while driving it.  my 2 seat desert dynamics is 3300lbs.

That car is badass!

1 hour ago, acefuture said:

I just finished putting together a very similar car to what you are looking at. I was honestly interested in how well it duned being that it's much heavier than a 2 seater. I'd imagine i'm probably around 2400 lbs with a 2d and LS1. And all I can say is the car RIPS! It slides like nobodies business and with the turning brake it's one of the most fun cars I've ever driven. My dad has 2 seat squirt similar to yours but it's much lighter. No coilover, 091, 3.5 and that car obviously is more nimble, but there is nowhere he can go that I can't. I really played with tires and tire pressures this weekend and it definitely makes a big difference in how the car handles. I tried 8.50 x 15 razors at 15lbs and 12lbs and they hooked up way too much and threw a lot of sand. I through on a set of 33" blasters at 12lbs and they slide a bit too much, so I'm going to get them buffed and run them around 9 and I think that will be the ticket.  @J Alper knows a ton about DD cars and the right motor, trans, and weight combos to get the best duning cars. When I was building mine he suggested an iron block 6.0 because it gives the car a great balance. I ended up going with a LS1 because I got a great price on it. But he has great insight for all DD owners. With all that said I don't think you'll be disappointed with a 4 seat, but if you like the way your 2 seat runs and you don't need 4 seats, then I'd keep running the 2 seater.

Nice! Thanks for the info. I don't need the 4 seats, but I want to run a V8. My little squirt can't handle that lol.

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

I've been thinking about running a Fields auto as well, can't find many opinions on them, how does he like it? Does it seem to suck up much more power then a typical S4 set up?

3 minutes ago, The looney duner said:

Nice! Thanks for the info. I don't need the 4 seats, but I want to run a V8. My little squirt can't handle that lol.

I had a 3.2 in my last car, I had a ton of fun with it but when my buddy took me for a spin in his S4/LS3 car and I immediately knew I wanted a V8 so the build began. Everytime I put my foot in my new car it puts a smile on my face. The low end, sound, and power of the V8 is all time and i'm very happy with the decision

31 minutes ago, The looney duner said:

I've been thinking about running a Fields auto as well, can't find many opinions on them, how does he like it? Does it seem to suck up much more power then a typical S4 set up?

I have a Fields in my predator. Its a 5 seater and not a small car by any means but I really really like the auto.  So easy to load on a trailer. Supposedly the torque converter is easier on the cv's as well. The dyno guy said the opposite, that it has less power loss than others.  IDK if he's right or not, just what he told me. 

cant deny how sweet the v8's sound but for me its still power to weight that matters most. I have an older hotrails with a  midengine 3.5 honda, i only weigh 1500 lbs and 270-280 hp ish so when i get stuck its easy for me to get unstuck. 

Here's how I see it.  A 4 seat sand rail weighs on average of 1,000 # more than a 2 seat,  So the added weight to HP ratio and more stress on the drive train make it a better option IMO.

For a given HP .... adding 1,000 lbs makes a big difference.

I have a SxS and a Tatum 2 seat mid eng with Blown LS ...... The SxS is a toy in comparison.

I’ve owned 2 Desert Dynamics V8 4 seaters and they dune very well. With the right shock and tire pressure set up these cars slide like nobody’s business with the throttle no need for cutting brakes. 

Ok so here are a few things, a 2d and 930s will last longer in a smaller less weight car, but you want a s4 so i assume 934's. The 2 seat will handle better in duning, I think a 4 seat wil do better in the whoops, tracking on sand hiway. Our whole group does 4 seaters,  and almost no one rides in the back, tools, coolers, jackets, etc, and just in case we need to move 4 people.

I think if the car is set up and you are following Funcos or good drivers in fast 2 seats you will be fine. If you are with SXS you will still run them down or away form them in the 4 seat unless it is very tight and technical

I would go 4 seat just because you never know, and as stated they are more plentiful

All good points, the power to weight ratio crossed my mind many times, but I plan for this car to have double the power of my current car, so that is not a big deal. Getting stuck is a real concern though, it would be much harder to get out, and much harder to tow back if it breaks...hmmmm food for thought.

This thread makes some valid points, keep it going, that is if there is more to discuss. Thanks guys.

5 minutes ago, The looney duner said:

All good points, the power to weight ratio crossed my mind many times, but I plan for this car to have double the power of my current car, so that is not a big deal. Getting stuck is a real concern though, it would be much harder to get out, and much harder to tow back if it breaks...hmmmm food for thought.

This thread makes some valid points, keep it going, that is if there is more to discuss. Thanks guys.

Never get stuck and then no worries, park down hill dont stop if you are unsure, never been stuck yet 

3 minutes ago, 2011BFD said:

never been stuck yet 

Famous last words before getting stuck :lol: 

3 minutes ago, HozayKwarvo said:

Famous last words before getting stuck :lol: 

I knocked on wood and had a coke so no worries

2 hours ago, tdent450 said:

I have a Fields in my predator. Its a 5 seater and not a small car by any means but I really really like the auto.  So easy to load on a trailer. Supposedly the torque converter is easier on the cv's as well. The dyno guy said the opposite, that it has less power loss than others.  IDK if he's right or not, just what he told me. 

Auto trans made me think of this car I saw on CL the other day. Quite unique. Small pattern on the wheels and radiator up front.  I would think you would want to stick with a name brand car but I thought this was interesting.

6553.png6553.png6554.png6554.png
marker-shadow.png

marker-icon-2x.png

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map)

condition: excellent 
make / manufacturer: BIG BOBS RODS 

2008 BAD BOBS RODS A TRUE MIDENGINE HIGH HORSE POWER CAR
L S 2 MOTOR 700 HP
PARTIAL ENCLOSURE WITH FULL WINDSHIELD AND DOORS
HILDEBRAND /SPEEDWAY QUICKCHANGE THIRD MEMBER
BUILT FOR 3000 HORSEPOWER 
HUGHES 3000 HP EXPLOSION PROOF 2SPEED AUTO TRANSMISSION 
FRAME IS DOM TUBING CHROME MOLY 
KING HIGH SCHOCKS 24 INCH TRAVEL INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION 
FULL SET OFF SAND TIRES ON CRAGER WHEELS 
FRONTS ARE 8.50x 15
REARS ARE 33x15 

THIS CAR IS READY FOR THE DUNES TODAY 
CALL 602-919-0218 
$39950 OBO REDUCED TODAY $37500 REDUCED TODAY $34950 

Sand Car, Mid Engine, Sand Rail, Dune Buggy, 700HP, Off Road, ATV, LS2, ATV, Side By Side, Hot Rod, Crawler,Sandcar,Sandrail,Go Fast,

00N0N_2E9mmtAVGcb_600x450.jpg

00808_4dUwbXiDKZu_600x450.jpg

00D0D_hYZpaxfNYGa_600x450.jpg

00E0E_gTlJPozwuvb_600x450.jpg

00O0O_8elWYVDocZm_600x450.jpg

00x0x_gFv8S36Pad5_600x450.jpg

01111_l9AVV8S8bSJ_600x450.jpg

01313_pafIdDmaX2_600x450.jpg

01313_pafIdDmaX2_600x450.jpg

00y0y_aZUGq0Qsl1S_600x450.jpg

Edited by onanysunday

3 hours ago, The looney duner said:

he loves it. easy to drive ran in 2nd most of the time in the dunes. im sure it sucks some power. his last car was a vw car with an 002 so this was quite the upgrade.  my car has a powerglide in it mid engine with a felids quick change diff unit.

Well it looks like I'm moving forward with this, if all goes well I will pick up the desert dynamics this Sunday........

I'll post a pic if it happens

5 hours ago, The looney duner said:

Well it looks like I'm moving forward with this, if all goes well I will pick up the desert dynamics this Sunday........

nice! you really cant go wrong with a desert dynamics.

6 hours ago, The looney duner said:

Great idea.  The squirt should be an easy sell.  They are bad ass little starter cars.