Sign in to follow this  
Ryno

How hard to pull Onan genny from WW le3305?

Starter went out on my Onan Marquis 5500.  Genny looks like it’s buried in the side of my WW le3305.  Is this a royal PITa?  This might just be a shop job if so.

Never had to get on that back side to change mine out but a quick YouTube search found a little info on removing

35 minutes ago, Ryno said:

Starter went out on my Onan Marquis 5500.  Genny looks like it’s buried in the side of my WW le3305.  Is this a royal PITa?  This might just be a shop job if so.

It's very easy. Just 6 wires for the 110v side, 2 wires for the 12v side, 1 muffler, 1 connector for remote start/stop and 1 fuel line. There might be a couple of screws or bolts holding it in. It shouldn't take you more than an hour including drinking time. An RV shop will probably charge you 5 - 8 hrs.

Edited by socaldmax

We did my son's and it was not hard. We did have to remove the door with frame then reseal and reinstall because unit would not clear door. It is heavy though, be prepared.

Should come out the bottom, used a harbor freight transmission jack with a couple 4x4's sitting on it,had to change the starter on mine too.

Depending upon year, the LE should be easy since the Genny should be in the front and the cargo door is big... we took ours out of our 08 SLC and it took about 30 minutes, easy job like SoCal said.

Mine is on the drivers side, about 1/3 the way down the side.  I have a hard enough time just getting the cover off.  It’s shoved in there tight.  I spent an hour looking at everything that had to come off, and I was over it.  I will update when I get it back from the shop.

Update....shop pulled the genny, pulled the starter and the flywheel disintegrated, taking out a bunch of other stuff with it.  Good news is the cylinders, main case and oil pan are fine, just need a bunch of new parts.  This is on an Onan 5500 marquis, with 354 hours on it, oil/ filter service was done at 300 hrs.  

The bottom line?  I would have seen parts and pieces, and it still would have gone to the shop.  

So once a genny is pulled can a plug be made from trailer wires to plug into a portable gen?

1 hour ago, Glamisclan said:

So once a genny is pulled can a plug be made from trailer wires to plug into a portable gen?

Why not use the shore power plug?

16 hours ago, charred1 said:

Why not use the shore power plug?

my generator was upfront I carry the portable in bed of truck, it would be nice to not have a cord along side of the trailer